Squeak 25th anniversary call for participation

Squeak 25th anniversary call for participation

Craig Latta

Hi all--

     On 24 September 1996, Dan Ingalls and team announced the existence
of Squeak, “another run at the fence” toward the joyful use of
computation. Some would say this wonderful surprise was inevitable.
Equally inevitable is the passage of time, and there is joy in that as
well. Let’s amplify our fascination, appreciation, and ambition for
Squeak and the community, by celebrating the 25th anniversary in 2021!

     What would you like to see, hear, and do? We of your board have a
few ideas, including a new issue of Squeak News, and special interview
episodes of the Smalltalk Reflections podcast. This is a good time to
reflect, plan, and invent the future once more.

     Proceed for truth!

-C

--
Craig Latta :: research computer scientist
Black Page Digital :: Berkeley, California

Re: Squeak 25th anniversary call for participation

K K Subbu
On 24/09/20 9:26 pm, Craig Latta wrote:
>       What would you like to see, hear, and do? We of your board have a
> few ideas, including a new issue of Squeak News, and special interview
> episodes of the Smalltalk Reflections podcast. This is a good time to
> reflect, plan, and invent the future once more.
Craig,

Thank you for reaching out. That Squeak remains a fascinating platform
for inventing the future even after 25 years is a testimony to the
visions of its creators and the commitment of its community.

My proposals for the home page :

  * a scrolling banner "25th year of Squeak" or something similar on
squeak.org that links to a page on its history.
  * a screenshot of the email announcement that links to the actual
email in https://files.squeak.org/history/

The next iteration of Squeak 5.3 needs an image (greeting card!) to
highlight this milestone.

https://files.squeak.org/mail/index.html has mail records only from Nov
1996. Mails from Sep to Nov can be recovered/reconstructed for a
complete record.

BTW, contents of mail/ folder may be merged into history for ease of
access and (search) indexing.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Squeak 25th anniversary call for participation

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

very nice idea, happy birthday Squeak afterward! (I did not know that Squeak is only four years exactly to the day older than me :D)

I'd like to propose the attached changeset for celebrating Squeak's anniversary inside the image, too. At the moment, it only adds some greetings to the update message dialog. For trying it out, please load the changeset into an image and hardcode "Date today" to return "Date year: 2021 month: 9 day: 24", for example:

The CS is still a bit unpolished at the moment, but if you like it, I will refactor it of course!

We could also put on a party hat onto the Squeak icon in the docking bar (similarly as I did it in XmasDecorations), but this would require some background process/recurring UI message which probably would be a too big overhead for a small gimmick.

Best,

Christoph

>       What would you like to see, hear, and do? We of your board have a
> few ideas, including a new issue of Squeak News, and special interview
> episodes of the Smalltalk Reflections podcast. This is a good time to
> reflect, plan, and invent the future once more.
Craig,

Thank you for reaching out. That Squeak remains a fascinating platform
for inventing the future even after 25 years is a testimony to the
visions of its creators and the commitment of its community.

My proposals for the home page :

  * a scrolling banner "25th year of Squeak" or something similar on
squeak.org that links to a page on its history.
  * a screenshot of the email announcement that links to the actual
email in https://files.squeak.org/history/

The next iteration of Squeak 5.3 needs an image (greeting card!) to
highlight this milestone.

https://files.squeak.org/mail/index.html has mail records only from Nov
1996. Mails from Sep to Nov can be recovered/reconstructed for a
complete record.

BTW, contents of mail/ folder may be merged into history for ease of
access and (search) indexing.

Regards .. Subbu

pastedImage.png (32K) Download Attachment
pastedImage.png (33K) Download Attachment
anniversary-version.2.cs (4K) Download Attachment
Carpe Squeak!

Re: Squeak 25th anniversary call for participation

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
Nice!

We have some talks by Alan Kay on the net:

https://tinlizzie.org/IA/index.php/Talks_by_Alan_Kay

and there are other movies of Squeak demos and stuff that are sitting
disks but  not uploaded. We can get some interesting segments to make
a highlight reel.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 8:57 AM Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all--
>
>      On 24 September 1996, Dan Ingalls and team announced the existence
> of Squeak, “another run at the fence” toward the joyful use of
> computation. Some would say this wonderful surprise was inevitable.
> Equally inevitable is the passage of time, and there is joy in that as
> well. Let’s amplify our fascination, appreciation, and ambition for
> Squeak and the community, by celebrating the 25th anniversary in 2021!
>
>      What would you like to see, hear, and do? We of your board have a
> few ideas, including a new issue of Squeak News, and special interview
> episodes of the Smalltalk Reflections podcast. This is a good time to
> reflect, plan, and invent the future once more.
>
>      Proceed for truth!
>

> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta :: research computer scientist
> Black Page Digital :: Berkeley, California
> 663137D7940BF5C0AFC  1349FB2ADA32C4D5314CE

-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak 25th anniversary call for participation

marcel.taeumel
Hi all!

Best,
Marcel

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 8:57 AM Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi all--
>
> On 24 September 1996, Dan Ingalls and team announced the existence
> of Squeak, “another run at the fence” toward the joyful use of
> computation. Some would say this wonderful surprise was inevitable.
> Equally inevitable is the passage of time, and there is joy in that as
> well. Let’s amplify our fascination, appreciation, and ambition for
> Squeak and the community, by celebrating the 25th anniversary in 2021!
>
> What would you like to see, hear, and do? We of your board have a
> few ideas, including a new issue of Squeak News, and special interview
> episodes of the Smalltalk Reflections podcast. This is a good time to
> reflect, plan, and invent the future once more.
>
> Proceed for truth!
>

> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta :: research computer scientist
> Black Page Digital :: Berkeley, California
> 663137D7940BF5C0AFC 1349FB2ADA32C4D5314CE

--
-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak 25th anniversary call for participation

timrowledge

> On 2020-10-15, at 5:40 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> <image.png>

Gonna party like it's 19999

tim
Useful random insult:- Mind like a steel sieve.