Squeak 3.10 - Assertion failure

squeakman
Greetings,

I am using squeak 3.10-7159web and there is some new (at least to me)
behaviour that I confused about.

When I am browsing and I attempt to browse a class like Character, I get
a walkback window with the title Assertion Failure and the stack is
showing the problem originating in CompileMethods>>getSource.

Also there is another window titled "Dynamic Protocols" and it is a
progressor bar.

Can anyone explain what is happening here?

Thanks,
Frank

Re: Squeak 3.10 - Assertion failure

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Frank,

can you be a bit more precise into what you are doing exactly to make
the bug happen? Also, you might try to deactivate the DynamicProtocols
in the preference browser and tell me if it changes anything.

Damien Cassou

Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> can you be a bit more precise into what you are doing exactly to make
> the bug happen? Also, you might try to deactivate the DynamicProtocols
> in the preference browser and tell me if it changes anything.
>
> 2007/12/14, Squeaker <[hidden email]>:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am using squeak 3.10-7159web and there is some new (at least to me)
>> behaviour that I confused about.
>>
>> When I am browsing and I attempt to browse a class like Character, I get
>> a walkback window with the title Assertion Failure and the stack is
>> showing the problem originating in CompileMethods>>getSource.
>>
>> Also there is another window titled "Dynamic Protocols" and it is a
>> progressor bar.
>>
>> Can anyone explain what is happening here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frank

I turned off DynamicProtocols as you suggested and the problem is no
longer present.

What precisely was I doing?  I have a relatively clean image, I loaded
ProtoGrowl package and I was browsing the ProtoGrowl code. In the class
PGMessage, I searched for all senders of the method javascriptOn:

In the resulting "Hierarchy Senders" window, when I click on any of the
senders, I get the walkback I reported in my initial post.

I also got the same behaviour when I clicked on the ProtoObject class in
the normal hierarchy browser for the class PGInfoMessage.

If you need more info I would be glad to send you the screen shots.

Thanks so much for you help,
Frank