Squeak 3.8[.1]

Diego Gomez Deck
Hi guys,

As I mentioned in a previous email, I need the debugger fixes for my
incoming book about programming in Smalltalk.

I don't care if we have to produce a new release (3.8.1) or if we have
to just include a fix in the 3.8 update stream.

Who is in charge of 3.8 stable release?

Cheers,

-- Diego

Re: Squeak 3.8[.1]

Michael Rueger-6
Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> As I mentioned in a previous email, I need the debugger fixes for my
> incoming book about programming in Smalltalk.
>
> I don't care if we have to produce a new release (3.8.1) or if we have
> to just include a fix in the 3.8 update stream.
>
> Who is in charge of 3.8 stable release?

Me :-)
I started looking through fixes to post for the 3.8 stream, your's on
the list as well.

Michael

Re: Squeak 3.8[.1]

Doug Way

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:51:44 +0100, "Michael Rueger" <[hidden email]>
said:

> Diego Gomez Deck wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > As I mentioned in a previous email, I need the debugger fixes for my
> > incoming book about programming in Smalltalk.
> >
> > I don't care if we have to produce a new release (3.8.1) or if we have
> > to just include a fix in the 3.8 update stream.
> >
> > Who is in charge of 3.8 stable release?
>
> Me :-)
> I started looking through fixes to post for the 3.8 stream, your's on
> the list as well.

Thanks Mike. :-)

My only bits of advice related to this are:

1. Definitely call it 3.8.1 and not 3.8 (with a new update number).  We
need to have real release numbers for these types of stable non-alpha
releases.  We should set the SystemVersion to "Squeak3.8.1".  (This
should hopefully not cause issues with SqueakMap, as the result of
SystemVersion>>majorMinorVersion would not change.)

2. Keep it API-compatible with 3.8, and try to stick to just important
fixes.  The debugger fix is an excellent example of something that
should go in.  I'm not sure we should be adding any miscellaneous
enhancements, unless it's something that people are really clamoring
for.  No refactorings.  The time to do
cleanups/refactorings/enhancements and break API compatibility is when
you go from 3.8 to 3.9. :-)  (Even then you don't want *too* much API
breakage, but let's face it, this is Squeak.)

- Doug

Re: Squeak 3.8[.1]

Cees De Groot
On 1/17/06, Doug Way <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2. Keep it API-compatible with 3.8, and try to stick to just important
> fixes.

I agree. 3.8 is "in maintenance", so we should just fix bugs.