Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

vaidasd
Hello,
Just noting few things that impacts general look/feel of Squeak.
Resizing windows in 3.9 is slow. Perhaps it is because of redrawing
taking place during resizing. Do squeak needs redrawing by default?
Changing theme does not work. May be button "Change theme" is to be
removed before releasing 3.9 if there is agreement that current look
is best. What others think?
I started using squeak since version 3.5, so just checked that version
now. 2.5 years passed. Version 3.5 image was two times smaller, more
responsive, it looked nicer for me (nice/not nice is personal thing
but ability to change theme is good thing.

--
Vaidotas Didžbalis

Re: Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

Marcus Denker

On 22.02.2006, at 19:25, Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:

> Hello,
> Just noting few things that impacts general look/feel of Squeak.
> Resizing windows in 3.9 is slow. Perhaps it is because of redrawing
> taking place during resizing. Do squeak needs redrawing by default?
> Changing theme does not work. May be button "Change theme" is to be
> removed before releasing 3.9 if there is agreement that current look
> is best. What others think?

Yes, should be at least disabled. Or fixed.
Please submit code.

> I started using squeak since version 3.5, so just checked that version
> now. 2.5 years passed. Version 3.5 image was two times smaller, more
> responsive, it looked nicer for me (nice/not nice is personal thing

I hated the old look, and I don't like the new one really, but I
think it's
better then the old.

> but ability to change theme is good thing.

Yes... there are lot of things that would be nice to have... maybe we
could
make an "official" whishlist somewhere?

      Marcus

Re: Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

Marcus Denker

On 22.02.2006, at 19:25, Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:

> Hello,
> Just noting few things that impacts general look/feel of Squeak.
> Resizing windows in 3.9 is slow. Perhaps it is because of redrawing
> taking place during resizing. Do squeak needs redrawing by default?

No, we should bring the old behavior back... I added a bug report
on mantis: http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3049

     Marcus

Re: Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

vaidasd
> Yes... there are lot of things that would be nice to have... maybe we
> could
> make an "official" whishlist somewhere?
This is not new thing but feature that has been broken by improvement.
As such it it not a wish list item.
--
Vaidotas Didžbalis

Re: Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

Marcus Denker

On 22.02.2006, at 20:40, Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:

>> Yes... there are lot of things that would be nice to have... maybe we
>> could
>> make an "official" whishlist somewhere?
> This is not new thing but feature that has been broken by improvement.
> As such it it not a wish list item.

Then submit a bug report... or even better a fix.

      Marcus

Re: Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

vaidasd

Re: Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

Marcus Denker

On 22.02.2006, at 21:22, Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:

> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3056

Thanks!

A lot of the "themes" in the current image are not really needed
anymore, I think...

The basic problem with morphic is that we don't have a theme engine,
that is,
all the look related things are hard-coded.

I wonder if it makes sense / is really possible to patch the current
look at that level to look
like the old Squeak... I tend to just cleaning out the related
Preferences.

Themes without a real theme implementation make no sense.

There was a really cool project by Jim Benson to make Squeak
Themable, see
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2469

Sadly, nothing of that was ever added to the main release. If I
remember, Jim himself
was against adding his code as it was not the best imaginable
implementation, or something
like that.

A more recent effort (Skins) was done by Steve Wessels, see http://
www.squeak.preeminent.org/
Pictures:
http://www.squeak.preeminent.org/images/newskinswindows.jpg
http://www.squeak.preeminent.org/images/newskinswindows2.jpg

And then, there is the Question of why not just move on to Tweak...

      Marcus