Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

Pavel Krivanek
There's new version of the self-bootstrapping environment for Squeak 3.9-7033.
Download: http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/20/bootstrap7033c.zip

Finally the resultant image contains no obsolete classes... ufff...
:-) Some references were really hard to find and destroy if you can
work only with console. I have also removed many unsent messages
automatically.

You may use "MirrorsBrowser open" for mirrors browsing.

Some statical data:
Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits -> 476
CompiledMethod allInstances size -> 10962
Image size: 3,2 MB

System categories:
Kernel-Chronology
Kernel-Classes
Kernel-Contexts
Kernel-Methods
Kernel-Numbers
Kernel-Objects
Kernel-Processes
Collections-Abstract
Collections-Arrayed
Collections-Sequenceable
Collections-SkipLists
Collections-Streams
Collections-Strings
Collections-Support
Collections-Text
Collections-Unordered
Collections-Weak
Collections-Stack
Exceptions-Kernel
Exceptions-Extensions
Exceptions-Tests
Files-Kernel
Files-Directories
Files-System
Graphics-Display Objects
Graphics-Primitives
Graphics-Text
Graphics-Transformations
Graphics-Fonts
Multilingual-Display
Multilingual-Encodings
Multilingual-ImmPlugin
Multilingual-Languages
Multilingual-Scanning
Multilingual-TextConversion
Protocols-Kernel
ST80-Kernel-Remnants
ST80-Support
Compiler-Kernel
Compiler-ParseNodes
Compiler-Support
System-Change Notification
System-Finalization
System-Localization
System-Object Events
System-Object Events-Tests
System-Object Storage
System-Pools
System-Support
System-FileRegistry
System-Changes
System-Tools
Tools-Changes
ToolBuilder-Kernel
Traits-System Change Notification
Traits-Kernel
Traits-Kernel-Traits
Traits-Composition
Traits-Requires
Traits-LocalSends

SqueakSource repository (http://www.squeaksource.com/KernelImage.html)
is still not working well but you can use "Bootstrap new
fileOutMirrors" for sharing whole mirrors world.

-- Pavel

Re: Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

Pavel Krivanek
I'm hunting small fishes and the big ones are escaping :-)

NaturalLanguageTranslator classPool at: #CachedTranslations put: nil.
NaturalLanguageTranslator classPool at: #AllKnownPhrases put: nil.

Image size: 2,9 MB

-- Pavel

Re: Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi pavel

I do not remember but did you remove code from the image?
Because this also means that we could use your image as a mini-image
for 3.9 (this is cool).
Did you try to reload the packages you removed?

Stef

On 6 juil. 06, at 16:42, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> [...]
> :-) Some references were really hard to find and destroy if you can
> work only with console. I have also removed many unsent messages
> automatically.
>
> You may use "MirrorsBrowser open" for mirrors browsing.
>
> Some statical data:
> Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits -> 476
> CompiledMethod allInstances size -> 10962
> Image size: 3,2 MB
>
> System categories:
> Kernel-Chronology
> Kernel-Classes
> Kernel-Contexts
> Kernel-Methods
> Kernel-Numbers
> Kernel-Objects
> Kernel-Processes
> Collections-Abstract
> Collections-Arrayed
> Collections-Sequenceable
> Collections-SkipLists
> Collections-Streams
> Collections-Strings
> Collections-Support
> Collections-Text
> Collections-Unordered
> Collections-Weak
> Collections-Stack
> Exceptions-Kernel
> Exceptions-Extensions
> Exceptions-Tests
> Files-Kernel
> Files-Directories
> Files-System
> Graphics-Display Objects
> Graphics-Primitives
> Graphics-Text
> Graphics-Transformations
> Graphics-Fonts
> Multilingual-Display
> Multilingual-Encodings
> Multilingual-ImmPlugin
> Multilingual-Languages
> Multilingual-Scanning
> Multilingual-TextConversion
> Protocols-Kernel
> ST80-Kernel-Remnants
> ST80-Support
> Compiler-Kernel
> Compiler-ParseNodes
> Compiler-Support
> System-Change Notification
> System-Finalization
> System-Localization
> System-Object Events
> System-Object Events-Tests
> System-Object Storage
> System-Pools
> System-Support
> System-FileRegistry
> System-Changes
> System-Tools
> Tools-Changes
> ToolBuilder-Kernel
> Traits-System Change Notification
> Traits-Kernel
> Traits-Kernel-Traits
> Traits-Composition
> Traits-Requires
> Traits-LocalSends
>
> SqueakSource repository (http://www.squeaksource.com/KernelImage.html)
> is still not working well but you can use "Bootstrap new
> fileOutMirrors" for sharing whole mirrors world.
>
> -- Pavel

Re: Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

Edgar J. De Cleene
Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :

> Finally the resultant image contains no obsolete classes... ufff...
> :-) Some references were really hard to find and destroy if you can
> work only with console. I have also removed many unsent messages
> automatically.
Congratulations !!

I wish you could publish some about how to reach a different class set.
In particular , one without any of Traits (this could origin a small one
image) and with minimal network for remote growing posibility.

Edgar

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

Pavel Krivanek
Hi Stef,

> I do not remember but did you remove code from the image?

Yes. I firstly load code of the new small image (mirrors) into the
standard one, then I switch original sources with new ones and I
finally make some cleanup. The resultant image then contains only
source codes of mirrors.

> Because this also means that we could use your image as a mini-image
> for 3.9 (this is cool).

If this projetct will not be one-man-show... That's the reason why I
wan to establish working SqueakSource repository.

> Did you try to reload the packages you removed?

No and I expect that it will be quite problematic. One solution is to
create and load one big project "TheRestOfSqueak". Simply do something
like reverse process of bootstrapping. See
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-May/104345.html

-- Pavel

On 7/6/06, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :
>
> > Finally the resultant image contains no obsolete classes... ufff...
> > :-) Some references were really hard to find and destroy if you can
> > work only with console. I have also removed many unsent messages
> > automatically.
> Congratulations !!
>
> I wish you could publish some about how to reach a different class set.
> In particular , one without any of Traits (this could origin a small one
> image) and with minimal network for remote growing posibility.
>
> Edgar

The process of self-bootstrapping is universal and it would be nice to
have separated packages. One for general self-bootstrapping support
and the next packages for concrete images. There's one next reason to
do that - the current code is extremelly ugly :-)

I don't expect that you will start with the original big image. I have
done it twice and I hope that I will not have to do it again because
it's *slavery*.

See Bootstrap>>createMirrors to see how to create mirrors. In fact, if
the original class doesn't contain pools, the mirror may be created
simply using browser. The MirrorsBrowser then can help with tunning of
the new mirrors world.

Have you got some concrete questions?

I've got one request. Do something what can push us forward. I don't
think that trying to remove traits is good idea (now). We've got the
old version for Squeak 3.7 that can be used for such projects. If you
want network support, create package, not new image.

-- Pavel

Re: Squeak 3.9 kernel image - the next release

Edgar J. De Cleene
Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :

> I've got one request. Do something what can push us forward. I don't
> think that trying to remove traits is good idea (now). We've got the
> old version for Squeak 3.7 that can be used for such projects. If you
> want network support, create package, not new image.

I don't know if you exchange notes with Craig and if at some point Spoon
converge with your kernel.image.

What I doing with SqueakLight , what owns a lot to you, as always I put in
all places, is taking the 3.7 plus what I like of 3.8 and 3.9

In doing all kinds of projects with students, I learn something with that
feedback.

I think what minimal kernel should have a way to load actual .mcz packages
or other future thing via network.

The minimal size 3.7 + some of 3.8 and 3.9 is in 3.6 to 4 mb range.

Of course , that is a minimal Morph image