[Squeak 4.0] Last Call

12

Re: [Squeak 4.0] Last Call

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/14/10 11:35 PM, "Ken G. Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might want to reconsider freezing at update 9371.
> This is already 310 updates behind the latest when I checked today.
> That is: three hundred and ten updates behind. Not version 3.10.
>
> Seems to me like a lot to be behind when doing a release.
>
> Ken G. Brown
Ok, we could go to the last update number the day 4.0 is on Squeak site and
becomes the last version.

Edgar

Re: [Squeak 4.0] Last Call

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/15/10 1:39 AM, "Ken G. Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Like maybe the latest unofficial release =
> Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip?

No, as 9222 is a unloaded version without logic for follow the trunk.
See my reports of today about SqueakCore (I send later)

Edgar

4.1 freeze (was [Squeak 4.0] Last Call)

Bert Freudenberg
On 15.03.2010, at 07:54, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/14/10 11:35 PM, "Ken G. Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You might want to reconsider freezing at update 9371.
>> This is already 310 updates behind the latest when I checked today.
>> That is: three hundred and ten updates behind. Not version 3.10.
>>
>> Seems to me like a lot to be behind when doing a release.
>>
>> Ken G. Brown
> Ok, we could go to the last update number the day 4.0 is on Squeak site and
> becomes the last version.
>
> Edgar

That makes sense if we want to ship 4.1 as soon as possible after 4.0 is released. But this talk of "update numbers" does not make sense. While the freeze is in effect and bugs get fixed, the "update number" will change.

"Freeze" means "stop development of new features" and "only important bug fixes go in". Not "go back to some point in the past".

When the release manager announces a freeze, he lists which bugs need to be fixed before the release is done. Typically these are marked as blockers in the tracker. Only fixes for those bugs are allowed to be committed to trunk (though one might request exceptions). Once all blockers are fixed (or it's decided they are not blockers after all), *that* version is going to be released. The release manager takes it and packages it, but he does not add a single code change. That would be a release candidate. If changes are necessary, they are committed to the trunk and another release candidate is built. Only when the release went gold, the freeze is lifted, happy hacking can resume.

This process ensures that all those interested in the happy hacking will be interested in keeping the freeze as short as possible. So they should fix the blockers quickly so they can go back to the fun stuff :)

- Bert -

Re: 4.1 freeze (was [Squeak 4.0] Last Call)

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/15/10 9:02 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That makes sense if we want to ship 4.1 as soon as possible after 4.0 is
> released. But this talk of "update numbers" does not make sense. While the
> freeze is in effect and bugs get fixed, the "update number" will change.
>
> "Freeze" means "stop development of new features" and "only important bug
> fixes go in". Not "go back to some point in the past".
>
> When the release manager announces a freeze, he lists which bugs need to be
> fixed before the release is done. Typically these are marked as blockers in
> the tracker. Only fixes for those bugs are allowed to be committed to trunk
> (though one might request exceptions). Once all blockers are fixed (or it's
> decided they are not blockers after all), *that* version is going to be
> released. The release manager takes it and packages it, but he does not add a
> single code change. That would be a release candidate. If changes are
> necessary, they are committed to the trunk and another release candidate is
> built. Only when the release went gold, the freeze is lifted, happy hacking
> can resume.
>
> This process ensures that all those interested in the happy hacking will be
> interested in keeping the freeze as short as possible. So they should fix the
> blockers quickly so they can go back to the fun stuff :)
>
> - Bert -
Yes, ok to all.

Update numbers is only for psychological purposes.
Take me several months people accept we should have updates numbers
again....

Edgar

Re: [Squeak 4.0] Last Call

Juan Vuletich-4
Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Juan,
>
> Thanks for having a look good sir!
>
> The Disney thing was pointed out by a couple of people. When I was
> handling that I also noticed that I hadn't made reference to the
> license window.
>
> Sorry, I should have replied about the copyright methods. What I heard
> back was that indeed some parts of the system are under different
> copyrights, and this isn't a relicense blocker. Again, if SFC comes
> back with a different story, I can remove them.

Ok. Thanks. Just keep in mind that all those various copyright notices
are not specific to parts of the image. They all apply to the whole
Squeak image.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

12