Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Edgar De Cleene
Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback First thing , this image only runs on CogVm.
When unpacked , the fles was named TrunkImage.xxx and not Squeak4.4-120303.xxx or similar name.

Performing the all 3272  test with
Croquet Cog 4.0.2585 http://www.mirandabanda.org

'3272 run, 3227 passes, 18 expected failures, 17 failures, 10 errors, 0 unexpected passes'

Failures
LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic
LocaleTest>>#testLocaleChanged
MCChangeNotificationTest>>#testCoreMethodModified
MCFileInTest>>#testStWriter
MCPackageTest>>#testUnload
MCPatchTest>>#testPatchContents
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testNoSelection
MCSnapshotTest>>#testCreation
MCStWriterTest>>#testOrganizationDefinition
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testBackport
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testOptimizedLoad
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testRepeatedMerge
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testSelectiveBackport
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testSimpleMerge
MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testSnapshotAndLoad
SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
SocketTest>>#testUDP

Errors
MCChangeNotificationTest>>#testExtMethodModified
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testCategorySelected
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testClassSelected
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testClassSideClassSelected
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testComment
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testMethodIsCleared
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testMethodSelected
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testProtocolIsCleared
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testProtocolSelected
MCStWriterTest>>#testInitializerDefinition

In the Sunit test , some debuggers shows related with Sockets

Added attached info is performing a script by Pavel, which shows the Unimplemented calls grows and grows.
Two years ago was
206 .
Jerome Peace put info about this in Mantis, but is old and can’t find it

Edgar

__info.txt (54K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Frank Shearar-3
Thanks for trying out the image, Edgar.

On 18 December 2012 11:12, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First thing , this image only runs on CogVm.
> When unpacked , the fles was named TrunkImage.xxx and not
> Squeak4.4-120303.xxx or similar name.

I've mentioned before that I _can't_ name the file with a proper
version, because this image is currently _ahead_ of trunk. That will
eventually change, of course. I'll definitely note renaming the files
on my todo list.

> Performing the all 3272  test with
> Croquet Cog 4.0.2585 http://www.mirandabanda.org
>
> '3272 run, 3227 passes, 18 expected failures, 17 failures, 10 errors, 0
> unexpected passes'
>
> Failures
> LargeNegativeIntegerTest>>#testMinimumNegativeIntegerArithmetic

This is expected, and depends on the version of the VM you're running.

> LocaleTest>>#testLocaleChanged
> MCChangeNotificationTest>>#testCoreMethodModified
> MCFileInTest>>#testStWriter
> MCPackageTest>>#testUnload
> MCPatchTest>>#testPatchContents
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testNoSelection
> MCSnapshotTest>>#testCreation
> MCStWriterTest>>#testOrganizationDefinition
> MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testBackport
> MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testOptimizedLoad
> MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testRepeatedMerge
> MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testSelectiveBackport
> MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testSimpleMerge
> MCWorkingCopyTest>>#testSnapshotAndLoad
> SocketTest>>#testSocketReuse
> SocketTest>>#testUDP
>
> Errors
> MCChangeNotificationTest>>#testExtMethodModified
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testCategorySelected
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testClassSelected
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testClassSideClassSelected
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testComment
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testMethodIsCleared
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testMethodSelected
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testProtocolIsCleared
> MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>#testProtocolSelected
> MCStWriterTest>>#testInitializerDefinition

When you ran these, did you set the author initials? Did you see
FITBMs asking to set the author initials?

> In the Sunit test , some debuggers shows related with Sockets

Debuggers pop up during the test run? Or do you mean some Socket tests
fail? (Some do.)

> Added attached info is performing a script by Pavel, which shows the
> Unimplemented calls grows and grows.
> Two years ago was 206 .
> Jerome Peace put info about this in Mantis, but is old and can’t find it

I'll add this to the 4.5 list.

frank

> Edgar

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Edgar De Cleene

On 12/18/12 8:36 AM, "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you ran these, did you set the author initials? Did you see
> FITBMs asking to set the author initials?

Not sure at which point ask initials

> Debuggers pop up during the test run? Or do you mean some Socket tests
> fail? (Some do.)

Debugger por while the test run, the process do not stop

Edgar

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 11:54, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/18/12 8:36 AM, "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> When you ran these, did you set the author initials? Did you see
>> FITBMs asking to set the author initials?
>

> Not sure at which point ask initials

I've noticed that if you don't have initials set, the
MCMethodDefinitionTest >> testLoadAndUnload test prompts for initials
during its teardown. If you don't put your initials in promptly
(before the test times out), tests after that point will fail because
MCMockClassA >> #one doesn't exist anymore.

frank

>> Debuggers pop up during the test run? Or do you mean some Socket tests
>> fail? (Some do.)
>
> Debugger por while the test run, the process do not stop
>
> Edgar

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Chris Muller-3
> I've mentioned before that I _can't_ name the file with a proper
> version, because this image is currently _ahead_ of trunk. That will
> eventually change, of course. I'll definitely note renaming the files
> on my todo list.

I don't want to badger you but, why is it ahead of trunk?  It seems
like any patches that are good enough for the RC should be good enough
for the trunk repository.  I'm confused..

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 16:04, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've mentioned before that I _can't_ name the file with a proper
>> version, because this image is currently _ahead_ of trunk. That will
>> eventually change, of course. I'll definitely note renaming the files
>> on my todo list.
>
> I don't want to badger you but, why is it ahead of trunk?  It seems
> like any patches that are good enough for the RC should be good enough
> for the trunk repository.  I'm confused..

I haven't seen anyone say "yeah, that doesn't look crazy" yet :) The
idea is that I hack on the RC and, when people say "yeah OK", then I
fold the ReleaseBuilder + Morphic changes into trunk, and version
"correctly".

frank

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Chris Muller-4
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18 December 2012 16:04, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've mentioned before that I _can't_ name the file with a proper
>> version, because this image is currently _ahead_ of trunk. That will
>> eventually change, of course. I'll definitely note renaming the files
>> on my todo list.
>
> I don't want to badger you but, why is it ahead of trunk?  It seems
> like any patches that are good enough for the RC should be good enough
> for the trunk repository.  I'm confused..

I haven't seen anyone say "yeah, that doesn't look crazy" yet :) The
idea is that I hack on the RC and, when people say "yeah OK", then I
fold the ReleaseBuilder + Morphic changes into trunk, and version
"correctly".

Ok, it's just that we'll need to hack on it yet again after you've versioned "correctly" and before putting it on the web-site.  So the payback for testing now seems pretty low.

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 08:12:47AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Added attached info is performing a script by Pavel, which shows the
> Unimplemented calls grows and grows.
> Two years ago was 206 .
> Jerome Peace put info about this in Mantis, but is old and can?t find it

We should work on cleaning the unimplemented calls for 4.5!

Dave

Re: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 17:13, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 08:12:47AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>> Added attached info is performing a script by Pavel, which shows the
>> Unimplemented calls grows and grows.
>> Two years ago was 206 .
>> Jerome Peace put info about this in Mantis, but is old and can?t find it
>
> We should work on cleaning the unimplemented calls for 4.5!

It's on the list :) http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189

frank

> Dave

Unimplemented calls (was: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback)

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 08:12:47AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Added attached info is performing a script by Pavel, which shows the
> Unimplemented calls grows and grows.
> Two years ago was 206 .
> Jerome Peace put info about this in Mantis, but is old and can?t find it
>
> Edgar

The Mantis issues for background on unimplemented calls are here:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7481
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7042
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=4544

Dave

Re: Unimplemented calls (was: Squeak 4.4 RC2 feedback)

Frank Shearar-3
On 19 December 2012 13:43, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 08:12:47AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>> Added attached info is performing a script by Pavel, which shows the
>> Unimplemented calls grows and grows.
>> Two years ago was 206 .
>> Jerome Peace put info about this in Mantis, but is old and can?t find it
>>
>> Edgar
>
> The Mantis issues for background on unimplemented calls are here:
>
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7481
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7042
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=4544

I'm pointing the older reports to point to 7481, and closing them. And
I've added references to same to the 4.5 feature list.

frank

Oh, and there's 7483 as well.

On 12/19/12 10:43 AM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 08:12:47AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>> Added attached info is performing a script by Pavel, which shows the
>> Unimplemented calls grows and grows.
>> Two years ago was 206 .
>> Jerome Peace put info about this in Mantis, but is old and can?t find it
>>
>> Edgar
>
> The Mantis issues for background on unimplemented calls are here:
>
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7481
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7042
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=4544
>
> Dave

Thanks for find it.
Now I hope this become a high priority in the next release.

Edgar