Squeak 4.6 suggestion for default comment: change "a Foo is xxxxxxxxx" to "I "

tty

Squeak 4.6 suggestion for default comment: change "a Foo is xxxxxxxxx" to "I "

tty
Hope I am not starting a religious war, but...

I have found the idiom of "I " much easier to parse and edit rather than "A Dude is xxxxxxxxx" when entering class comments.

With the former, I just position the mouse and start typing: 'I ' ->  'I act as a formal frabulator for the system frisbnitsk decompulation subprocess'.
With the latter, I must delete the 'is xxxxxxxxx' before I start commenting:  'A Dude is xxxxxxxxx '  -> 'A Dude acts as a formal frabulator for the system frisbnitsk decompulation subprocess'

The mental flow for the former is "think", "type".
The mental flow for the latter is  "grrrrrr", "edit" , "think" , "type"

The former offers the opportunity for different verbs right off the bat: "I am ", "I act" , "I perform " , "I flail"
The latter requires we ponder the suitability of the verb "is", accept or reject its suitability (This is the time sink for me) , think of a new verb if rejected, delete the verb and type the verb.

Scanning the Kernel-Class package, there is a lot of history surrounding Class comments so I can take the answer 'no' gracefully. 'yes' would be good, however. (:

cheers.

tty

Re: Squeak 4.6 suggestion for default comment: change "a Foo is xxxxxxxxx" to "I "

Chris Muller-3
That's a good point from the perspective of making the physical entry
of a class comment easier.  A default comment of "I " would saves two
keystrokes per class comment (instead of having to type Command+a, "I
").

The only possible disadvantage I can think of would be for newbies.
Simply, "I ", as a default comment does not provide an exemplar that
reveals the purpose of that pane as much as "A Dude is xxxxx".  A lone
"I " there might appear to them as something incomplete or a bug.
Maybe a balloon help on that pane explaining it could alleviate that
issue..

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 6:41 AM, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> system frisbnitsk decompulation subprocess'
>
> The mental flow for the former is "think", "type".
> The mental flow for the latter is  "grrrrrr", "edit" , "think" , "type"
>
> The former offers the opportunity for different verbs right off the bat: "I
> am ", "I act" , "I perform " , "I flail"
> The latter requires we ponder the suitability of the verb "is", accept or
> reject its suitability (This is the time sink for me) , think of a new verb
> if rejected, delete the verb and type the verb.
>

> Scanning the Kernel-Class package, there is a lot of history surrounding
> Class comments so I can take the answer 'no' gracefully. 'yes' would be
> good, however. (:
>
> cheers.
>

> tty

Re: Squeak 4.6 suggestion for default comment: change "a Foo is xxxxxxxxx" to "I "

Tobias Pape
Make it a question:

Hi, this is ClassName, what do I do?

Best
        -Tobias

On 11.05.2014, at 17:49, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a good point from the perspective of making the physical entry
> of a class comment easier.  A default comment of "I " would saves two
> keystrokes per class comment (instead of having to type Command+a, "I
> ").
>
> The only possible disadvantage I can think of would be for newbies.
> Simply, "I ", as a default comment does not provide an exemplar that
> reveals the purpose of that pane as much as "A Dude is xxxxx".  A lone
> "I " there might appear to them as something incomplete or a bug.
> Maybe a balloon help on that pane explaining it could alleviate that
> issue..
>
> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 6:41 AM, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hope I am not starting a religious war, but...
>>
>> I have found the idiom of "I " much easier to parse and edit rather than "A
>> Dude is xxxxxxxxx" when entering class comments.
>>
>> With the former, I just position the mouse and start typing: 'I ' ->  'I act
>> as a formal frabulator for the system frisbnitsk decompulation subprocess'.
>> With the latter, I must delete the 'is xxxxxxxxx' before I start commenting:
>> 'A Dude is xxxxxxxxx '  -> 'A Dude acts as a formal frabulator for the
>> system frisbnitsk decompulation subprocess'
>>
>> The mental flow for the former is "think", "type".
>> The mental flow for the latter is  "grrrrrr", "edit" , "think" , "type"
>>
>> The former offers the opportunity for different verbs right off the bat: "I
>> am ", "I act" , "I perform " , "I flail"
>> The latter requires we ponder the suitability of the verb "is", accept or
>> reject its suitability (This is the time sink for me) , think of a new verb
>> if rejected, delete the verb and type the verb.
>>

>> Scanning the Kernel-Class package, there is a lot of history surrounding
>> Class comments so I can take the answer 'no' gracefully. 'yes' would be
>> good, however. (:
>>
>> cheers.
>>

>> tty

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak 4.6 suggestion for default comment: change "a Foo is xxxxxxxxx" to "I "

Francisco Garau-2
And make it configurable...

- Francisco