Squeak BOF at OOPSLA?!

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

And its that time of year again - OOPSLA coming up!

I just tried to enter the OOPSLA wiki to add Squeak BOF to the bof page
but with no luck. Can't figure out how to get an account, perhaps it has
been locked (it does have spam already on it).

Anyway... IIRC tuesday evening is our "prime time" traditionally and I
will bring a video recorder like last year and throw up nice presentations
right away as torrents! But could we decide here and now the day and time?

And of course, all Smalltalkers will somehow magically find each other in
some corner of the conference and set up the "camp", that goes without
saying. ;)

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA?!

Bergel, Alexandre
Hi Goran,

Excellent idea!
What about Monday evening ? Dynamic Languages Symposium is on that
very day. We could advertise the BOF in the symposium.

I cannot access the program of OOPSLA right now, but there is a talk
from Fred Brooks on Wednesday morning and one from Kiczales on
Thursday morning. The morning talks starts at 8:30. Quite early.
Having the BOF the night before may be harsh. Also, I do not know
about the banquet and so on.

Montreal is full of pubs and coffees. We could simply meet in front
of the hotel and then move somewhere. What about 19:00 (DSL ends at
18:00) in the lobby of Hyatt Regency hotel?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 9 Oct 2007, at 13:31, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> And its that time of year again - OOPSLA coming up!
>
> I just tried to enter the OOPSLA wiki to add Squeak BOF to the bof
> page
> but with no luck. Can't figure out how to get an account, perhaps
> it has
> been locked (it does have spam already on it).
>
> Anyway... IIRC tuesday evening is our "prime time" traditionally and I
> will bring a video recorder like last year and throw up nice
> presentations
> right away as torrents! But could we decide here and now the day
> and time?
>
> And of course, all Smalltalkers will somehow magically find each
> other in
> some corner of the conference and set up the "camp", that goes without
> saying. ;)
>
> regards, Göran

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA?!

Göran Krampe
Hi!

"Bergel, Alexandre" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Goran,
>
> Excellent idea!
> What about Monday evening ? Dynamic Languages Symposium is on that
> very day. We could advertise the BOF in the symposium.

I intend to attend most of DLS, but the BOF has almost always been on
tuesday evening - I haven't investigated the schedule in detail so I
can't respond to if monday would be better.

> I cannot access the program of OOPSLA right now, but there is a talk
> from Fred Brooks on Wednesday morning and one from Kiczales on
> Thursday morning. The morning talks starts at 8:30. Quite early.

I think most mornings "start early" :)

> Having the BOF the night before may be harsh. Also, I do not know
> about the banquet and so on.
>
> Montreal is full of pubs and coffees. We could simply meet in front
> of the hotel and then move somewhere. What about 19:00 (DSL ends at
> 18:00) in the lobby of Hyatt Regency hotel?

Generally the BOF attracts about 20-50 people at least. Canada may mean
less people - but I wouldn't bet on it. And the main ingredience of the
BOF are more or less improvised or prepared demos and presentations of
stuff done in/for/with Squeak using a projector.

Thus, even though I expect to hang out with lots of Smalltalkers
drinking beer - I don't think a pub will work for the actual BOF. :) But
definitely after it, and on other evenings.

> Cheers,
> Alexandre

cheers, Gšran

PS. I got some personal email verifying that it was indeed not possible
to get a new account and edit the OOPSLA wiki - perhaps it is fixed now
though.