Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

12

Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Göran Krampe
Howdy Dan and all!

Ok, now I added the BOF to the OOPSLA wiki AND to the Swiki and booked it
preliminary:

http://www.oopsla.org/wiki2007/index.php/Birds_of_a_Feather_Sessions
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009

Does this work for you Dan? (quite important for the rest of us I think)

regards, Göran

PS. I will try to nail the room and make sure there is a projector there -
and I am bringing my video recorder and will tape and put xvids up :)

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Bergel, Alexandre
Hi Goran,

Are you sure you want to make it start at 18:00 ? Eric Gamma will be
doing a demo (which ends at 18:30) then at 20:00 there is a keynote
from Steele and Gabriel.

I take the risk of repeating myself, but Monday after the reception
may be good...

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 12 Oct 2007, at 12:54, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Howdy Dan and all!
>
> Ok, now I added the BOF to the OOPSLA wiki AND to the Swiki and
> booked it
> preliminary:
>
> http://www.oopsla.org/wiki2007/index.php/Birds_of_a_Feather_Sessions
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009
>
> Does this work for you Dan? (quite important for the rest of us I
> think)
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. I will try to nail the room and make sure there is a projector
> there -
> and I am bringing my video recorder and will tape and put xvids up :)

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Bert Freudenberg
On Oct 12, 2007, at 12:54 , Göran Krampe wrote:

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009

I'll come, too, this year. First OOPSLA for me, can you believe it?

I will bring an OLPC XO laptop so you can see Squeak running on it.

[off-topic]

It would be *really* cool if I could also demonstrate the 'hand-crank
charging'. Alas, there is no hand-crank coming with the laptop yet.
But if someone living in North America could get one of these
chargers for me that would be awesome:

http://www.freeplayenergy.com/products/portable-power/mobile/
freecharge12v

I'd happily pay the $30 (but not the 40 Euros = $55 it costs here in
Europe). Anyone?

- Bert -

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Göran Krampe
Way cool!

> On Oct 12, 2007, at 12:54 , Göran Krampe wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009
>
> I'll come, too, this year. First OOPSLA for me, can you believe it?
> I will bring an OLPC XO laptop so you can see Squeak running on it.

I guess we need to change the time though, Alexandre may have a point.

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Göran Krampe
Hi guys!

> Hi Goran,
>
> Are you sure you want to make it start at 18:00 ? Eric Gamma will be
> doing a demo (which ends at 18:30) then at 20:00 there is a keynote
> from Steele and Gabriel.
>
> I take the risk of repeating myself, but Monday after the reception
> may be good...

Hmmm, I may be inclined to agree - but earlier years people have argued
that not all attendees arrive until tuesday.

On the other hand - Steele draws a crowd so competing with that seems dumb.

Dan and Bert - what do you guys say? Since the XO will be shown I expect
LOTS of people to want to come by! :)

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Bert Freudenberg
On Oct 12, 2007, at 14:32 , Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
>> Hi Goran,
>>
>> Are you sure you want to make it start at 18:00 ? Eric Gamma will be
>> doing a demo (which ends at 18:30) then at 20:00 there is a keynote
>> from Steele and Gabriel.
>>
>> I take the risk of repeating myself, but Monday after the reception
>> may be good...
>
> Hmmm, I may be inclined to agree - but earlier years people have
> argued
> that not all attendees arrive until tuesday.
>
> On the other hand - Steele draws a crowd so competing with that
> seems dumb.
>
> Dan and Bert - what do you guys say? Since the XO will be shown I
> expect
> LOTS of people to want to come by! :)

I'm flying in on Saturday so I don't really care. Although I'd prefer
if it wouldn't clash with that keynote, but maybe 6 to 8 is enough?
Don't know how long a BOF usually is.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Göran Krampe
Hi!

> On Oct 12, 2007, at 14:32 , Göran Krampe wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>>
>>> Hi Goran,
>>>
>>> Are you sure you want to make it start at 18:00 ? Eric Gamma will be
>>> doing a demo (which ends at 18:30) then at 20:00 there is a keynote
>>> from Steele and Gabriel.
>>>
>>> I take the risk of repeating myself, but Monday after the reception
>>> may be good...
>>
>> Hmmm, I may be inclined to agree - but earlier years people have
>> argued
>> that not all attendees arrive until tuesday.
>>
>> On the other hand - Steele draws a crowd so competing with that
>> seems dumb.
>>
>> Dan and Bert - what do you guys say? Since the XO will be shown I
>> expect
>> LOTS of people to want to come by! :)
>
> I'm flying in on Saturday so I don't really care. Although I'd prefer
> if it wouldn't clash with that keynote, but maybe 6 to 8 is enough?
> Don't know how long a BOF usually is.
>
> - Bert -

Great, will be fun meeting up again!

I am flying in on saturday too with a collegue - will be staying at the
Siecle hotell (Hyatt was full). Regarding length of Squeak BOFs - they
tend to be several hours! At least if more than 10 people show up.

Most years we have had at least 5 presentations I think - sometimes even
up to 10. BUT... I don't know if the location this year has any
negative/positive effect.

So... ok, let me change the preliminary time to monday after the reception
and see if people object to that. I have also sent a few emails checking
for room and projector.

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Bergel, Alexandre
Goran, can you not add the wiki.squeak.org link on the oopsla wiki ?

Alexandre

On 12 Oct 2007, at 12:54, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Howdy Dan and all!
>
> Ok, now I added the BOF to the OOPSLA wiki AND to the Swiki and
> booked it
> preliminary:
>
> http://www.oopsla.org/wiki2007/index.php/Birds_of_a_Feather_Sessions
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009
>
> Does this work for you Dan? (quite important for the rest of us I
> think)
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. I will try to nail the room and make sure there is a projector
> there -
> and I am bringing my video recorder and will tape and put xvids up :)

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Göran Krampe
> Goran, can you not add the wiki.squeak.org link on the oopsla wiki ?

I have already done that. You should click on the "Squeak BOF" link to get
to its own OOPSLA wiki page first. :)

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Dan Ingalls
>Howdy Dan and all!
>
>Ok, now I added the BOF to the OOPSLA wiki AND to the Swiki and booked it
>preliminary:
>
>http://www.oopsla.org/wiki2007/index.php/Birds_of_a_Feather_Sessions
>http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009
>
>Does this work for you Dan? (quite important for the rest of us I think)
--------------------------------------
Sure.  I'll be there.

I took the Tuesday 7pm slot to demo the Lively Kernel, since it doesn't take long.

        - Dan

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Göran Krampe
Hi Dan and all!

>>Howdy Dan and all!
>>
>>Ok, now I added the BOF to the OOPSLA wiki AND to the Swiki and booked it
>>preliminary:
>>
>>http://www.oopsla.org/wiki2007/index.php/Birds_of_a_Feather_Sessions
>>http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009
>>
>>Does this work for you Dan? (quite important for the rest of us I think)
> --------------------------------------
> Sure.  I'll be there.
>
> I took the Tuesday 7pm slot to demo the Lively Kernel, since it doesn't
> take long.

Ehrm, we managed to change the BOF to monday after the reception since you
read that. ;) Does the current time work for you too? Alexandre made me
realize that tuesday really is not that good.

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Jason Johnson-5
Dumb question:  What country is this in?  US or Canada right?

On 10/12/07, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dan and all!
>
> >>Howdy Dan and all!
> >>
> >>Ok, now I added the BOF to the OOPSLA wiki AND to the Swiki and booked it
> >>preliminary:
> >>
> >>http://www.oopsla.org/wiki2007/index.php/Birds_of_a_Feather_Sessions
> >>http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009
> >>
> >>Does this work for you Dan? (quite important for the rest of us I think)
> > --------------------------------------
> > Sure.  I'll be there.
> >
> > I took the Tuesday 7pm slot to demo the Lively Kernel, since it doesn't
> > take long.
>
> Ehrm, we managed to change the BOF to monday after the reception since you
> read that. ;) Does the current time work for you too? Alexandre made me
> realize that tuesday really is not that good.
>
> regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Raymond Asselin
Le 12/10/07, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> écrivait :

>Ehrm, we managed to change the BOF to monday after the
reception since you
>read that. ;) Does the current time work for you too? Alexandre
made me
>realize that tuesday really is not that good.
>
>regards, Göran

Is there a way to participate at the Squeak Bof without registering
to OOPSLA?

Raymond

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Göran Krampe
Hi!

> Le 12/10/07, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> écrivait :
>>Ehrm, we managed to change the BOF to monday after the
> reception since you
>>read that. ;) Does the current time work for you too? Alexandre
> made me
>>realize that tuesday really is not that good.
>>
>>regards, Göran
>
> Is there a way to participate at the Squeak Bof without registering
> to OOPSLA?
>
> Raymond

Well, I am unsure if you have access to the rooms without a pass - I think
that has varied over the years and probably depends a bit on the
conference center. Do you know Eugene?

In any case I am bringing a video recorder and lots of tapes and will put
presentations/demos up as xvids on my own bittorrent tracker at krampe.se
within a day or two. :) Then someone can also get them on google video
(lower quality but streamed) - someone did last year IIRC.

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Bergel, Alexandre
> Is there a way to participate at the Squeak Bof without registering
> to OOPSLA?

If you are not afraid to be kicked out, give a try :-)

More seriously, checks at a conference happen only when entering a
room with a major event (keynote, research talks, ...)

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Bergel, Alexandre
one reason I see why nobody added new topic on the wiki page, is that
it requires a password:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009.edit

How can I add something on it?

Alexandre

"Bergel, Alexandre" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> one reason I see why nobody added new topic on the wiki page, is that
> it requires a password:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009.edit
>
> How can I add something on it?

As you probably noticed this is just the regular Squeak Swiki password
we have to prevent too much spammers - not any special pass for that
page - "squeak/viewpoints".

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Damien Cassou-3
Login: squeak
Pass: viewpoints

2007/10/21, Bergel, Alexandre <[hidden email]>:

> one reason I see why nobody added new topic on the wiki page, is that
> it requires a password:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009.edit
>
> How can I add something on it?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 12 Oct 2007, at 06:54, Göran Krampe wrote:
>
> > Howdy Dan and all!
> >
> > Ok, now I added the BOF to the OOPSLA wiki AND to the Swiki and
> > booked it
> > preliminary:
> >
> > http://www.oopsla.org/wiki2007/index.php/Birds_of_a_Feather_Sessions
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6009
> >
> > Does this work for you Dan? (quite important for the rest of us I
> > think)
> >
> > regards, Göran
> >
> > PS. I will try to nail the room and make sure there is a projector
> > there -
> > and I am bringing my video recorder and will tape and put xvids up :)

Damien Cassou

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

Alexandre Jasmin
> If you are not afraid to be kicked out, give a try :-)
>
> More seriously, checks at a conference happen only when entering a
> room with a major event (keynote, research talks, ...)

Then I will take my chance too.

Re: Squeak BOF at OOPSLA!

stephane ducasse
could we get a list of what was presented at the Bof for the poor
guys like us that could not make it :)

Stef

12