Squeak Board 2007 Elections

12

Squeak Board 2007 Elections

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

I received another question about running for the board.  As a reminder anyone that wants to run for the board needs to announce to squeak-dev by February 18, 2007.  All you need to do is send an email to squeak-dev ([hidden email]) stating that you are running.  We would like you to include why you are running, what your experience is and what you would like to work on if elected.

We currently have 4 candidates for 7 positions:   Cees, Tim, Craig, and Bert.

It’s going to be a very quick election if we do not get more candidates!  Please consider serving your community by running for the board.

Thanks,

Ron Teitelbaum

Squeak Elections Team Member

Re: Squeak Board 2007 Elections

timrowledge

On 10-Feb-07, at 9:59 AM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> We currently have 4 candidates for 7 positions:   Cees, Tim, Craig,
> and Bert.
>

> It’s going to be a very quick election if we do not get more
> candidates!  Please consider serving your community by running for
> the board.

Please, please, think about standing. We most definitely need at
least 7 people to be able to cover all the bases and to provide a
decent chance of a quorum at each meeting. Remember - any reason
lesser than "I have been assigned to a five year intergalactic
mission to seduce strange new aliens" is basically weaselling out. :-)

tim
Strange OpCodes: SEXI: Sign EXtend Integer

Re: Squeak Board 2007 Elections

stephane ducasse
I would like to run for these elections. I do not have the time to
really go into the details of what I did in the past nor why I left
the board (I explained that in an email for people that want to
know). Now it seems to me that the board wants to raise funds and
spend money so
this apparently changed.

For the future I would like to help the squeakfoundation by
        - pushing fund raising
        - pushing bounty or any other means to get some infrastructural work
done
        - supporting the release team
        - having more contacts with the different sub or forks
        - supporting book/articles/... or any initiative increasing the
visibility of squeak

Stef

> Hi All,
>

> I received another question about running for the board.  As a
> reminder anyone that wants to run for the board needs to announce
> to squeak-dev by February 18, 2007.  All you need to do is send an
> email to squeak-dev ([hidden email]) stating
> that you are running.  We would like you to include why you are
> running, what your experience is and what you would like to work on
> if elected.
>

> We currently have 4 candidates for 7 positions:   Cees, Tim, Craig,
> and Bert.
>

> It’s going to be a very quick election if we do not get more
> candidates!  Please consider serving your community by running for
> the board.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ron Teitelbaum
>
> Squeak Elections Team Member

RE: Squeak Board 2007 Elections

Ron Teitelbaum
Welcome Stef.

Ok that makes 5 candidates: Cees, Tim, Craig, Bert and Stef.

Please keep the announcements coming!  Remember the deadline is February 18,
2007.

If there is a candidate you think should be running now would be a good time
to contact them directly and encourage them to run.  Maybe we should
consider a draft?

Thanks,

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Elections Team Member

By the way, I think that the board should be **elected*** and have
the support from the community
so we should have more candidates than positions. I will redraw my
candidature if by 18th we do not get
more than 7 candidates.

It really important to make sure that people will vote for a
"program" or a "vision". So it is crucial that
        - we get more than 7 candidates,
        - each candidates really say what he plans to do besides been in the
board.

This will help the foundation been a real entity having a base support.

Stef

On 11 févr. 07, at 02:38, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Welcome Stef.
>
> Ok that makes 5 candidates: Cees, Tim, Craig, Bert and Stef.
>
> Please keep the announcements coming!  Remember the deadline is
> February 18,
> 2007.
>
> If there is a candidate you think should be running now would be a
> good time
> to contact them directly and encourage them to run.  Maybe we should
> consider a draft?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
> Squeak Elections Team Member

Daniel Vainsencher-3
Hi Steph,

I for one am glad we have a few candidate, and you among them. I don't
think its so bad if we have few candidates: The Debian project (with
over 1000 registered voting developers) has had 6 nominees for 1
position in 2005, and 3 nominees in 2004.

If we have few candidates and decide to cancel the vote, selecting all
candidates to the board (until some acting Board takes it upon
themselves to create a fixed, long term rule-set, I consider this
decision the prerogative of the elections team), the board still has the
basic legitimacy that they are in place not merely for historical
reasons, and that any better candidates only needed to have run. So the
elections would still serve their original purpose - to make sure the
Board is elected fairly. This value is not determined solely by the vote.

I see two other options, which are:
1. Adding "nobody" as a candidate to the vote, and denoting board
members only those that defeated "nobody" (thus, every board member was
preferred by the community to not having them).
2. Reducing the number of places on the board to around 3 (thus making
it easy to have more candidates than positions, and getting a more
typical board size).
Again, I consider this decision the topic of the elections team, so
please direct any discussion of that to the elections mailing list
(remember to register to it before posting there!).

But until the 18th, I would like to encourage everyone to look into
their hearts and think whether there's some services that they want to
do for this community, that is best done within the board. If the answer
is yes, just submit your candidacy. If you prefer to make your
contribution elsewhere, such as in code, then be happy and have fun in
doing just that :-)

Daniel Vainsencher

stephane ducasse wrote:

> By the way, I think that the board should be **elected*** and have the
> support from the community
> so we should have more candidates than positions. I will redraw my
> candidature if by 18th we do not get
> more than 7 candidates.
>
> It really important to make sure that people will vote for a "program"
> or a "vision". So it is crucial that
>     - we get more than 7 candidates,
>     - each candidates really say what he plans to do besides been in
> the board.
>
> This will help the foundation been a real entity having a base support.
>
> Stef
>
> On 11 févr. 07, at 02:38, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
>
>> Welcome Stef.
>>
>> Ok that makes 5 candidates: Cees, Tim, Craig, Bert and Stef.
>>
>> Please keep the announcements coming!  Remember the deadline is
>> February 18,
>> 2007.
>>
>> If there is a candidate you think should be running now would be a
>> good time
>> to contact them directly and encourage them to run.  Maybe we should
>> consider a draft?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ron Teitelbaum
>> Squeak Elections Team Member

Candidacy for the Squeak Board

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno mar, 13/02/2007 alle 17.58 +0200, Daniel Vainsencher ha
scritto:
> But until the 18th, I would like to encourage everyone to look into
> their hearts and think whether there's some services that they want to
> do for this community, that is best done within the board. If the answer
> is yes, just submit your candidacy. If you prefer to make your
> contribution elsewhere, such as in code, then be happy and have fun in
> doing just that :-)

Ok, I'll volunteer! Here's my candidacy for the board.

Who am I?
I am Giovanni Corriga, Italian, 28 years old. I am the current leader of
the News Team, and I'm mantaining the Weekly Squeak news blog. I also
administer a couple of Squeak related mailing lists, and the mailing
list of the Italian Smalltalk user group. I've recently started
development of an application based on Squeak and the HV2 framework, and
I'm working on revamping said framework.

What can I do for the board?
Whatever it needs to be done to further Squeak's advancement. As a
regular Squeak user, I am committed to keep it going. The current board
has worked towards establishing a framework of procedures and standards
to coordinate the Squeak community, and the community is slowly moving
towards a stable development process that will allow it to steadily
produce quality releases of Squeak. If I get elected, I'll keep working
towards these goals, trying to get the board and the community to
determine which steps can be taken to reach them, such as bounties or
the like.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

Re: Candidacy for the Squeak Board

keith1y
I would like to volunteer also.

I am Keith Hodges, 36, from the UK, currently residing near Birmingham.
What can I do for the board?
Whatever it needs to be done to further Squeak's advancement. As a
Although I have been programming in Smalltalk for over a decade, I have the advantage of doing things other than programming in my day job(s). This affords me a fair bit of clear thinking time. While my energies are not being directed to a specific project at the moment, my current interest is specifically "whatever needs to be done to further Squeak's advancement."

I am currently working on a system for automatically building and testing images of different squeak configurations. If elected I would like to champion making this available as a resource to the community.

many thanks in advance

Keith

Re: Squeak Board 2007 Elections

Lex Spoon-3
Daniel Vainsencher <[hidden email]> writes:
> I see two other options, which are:

I like your analysis a lot, Daniel.  If we decide to reduce the size
of the board, I hope the election team puts together a referendum on
it, just so we can go through the proper motions.

Lex

re: Squeak Board 2007 Elections

ccrraaiigg

Hi Daniel--

> Adding "nobody" as a candidate to the vote, and denoting board
> members only those that defeated "nobody" (thus, every board member
> was preferred by the community to not having them).

      I like this one, regardless of how many seats there are on the
board. E.g., for the current board, "all those who defeated 'nobody',
with a maximum of seven".

      thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

RE: Squeak Board 2007 Elections

Alan L. Lovejoy
<Craig>
      I like this one, regardless of how many seats there are on the board.
E.g., for the current board, "all those who defeated 'nobody', with a
maximum of seven".
</Craig>

So, if "nobody" wins, then nobody wins :-)

--Alan

Alan Lovejoy wrote:

> <Craig>
>       I like this one, regardless of how many seats there are on the board.
> E.g., for the current board, "all those who defeated 'nobody', with a
> maximum of seven".
> </Craig>
>
> So, if "nobody" wins, then nobody wins :-)
>
> --Alan

:-)

I wanted to say that this option is looking more likely than ever. On
the elections list we've started to call our virtual candidate "nota"
which is shorthand for "none of the above" (as he is called in Debian
elections).

I for one feel that nota has the benefit of giving voters some important
options to express themselves, and it gives all candidates better
feedback about where they stand, whether elected or not.

Thanks to to thank all the candidates so far - the option of your
contribution on the board is appreciated even if you are not eventually
elected. I'd like to join Ron in inviting further candidates. Also, if
you know of someone that is not on this mailing list but should run,
please feel free to let them know and invite them to present themselves.

Daniel Vainsencher

Alan Lovejoy wrote:
> <Craig>
>       I like this one, regardless of how many seats there are on the board.
> E.g., for the current board, "all those who defeated 'nobody', with a
> maximum of seven".
> </Craig>
>
> So, if "nobody" wins, then nobody wins :-)
>
> --Alan
In our university elections we could also vote for RON.

Keith

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Yet Another Candidate Announcement for the Squeak Board: Tansel Ersavas

Tansel Ersavas

I would like to announce my candidature for the board as well.

My name is Tansel Ersavas.I have been Smalltalking for about 15 years and
following Squeak since its announcement. My previous experience with Squeak
include a number of commercial Squeak applications starting 1997, several
presentations, tutorials and a workshop at various international
conferences, and the interactive CD based Squeak News e-zine. Although I had
to be not as involved in Squeak as I wanted in the last few years finally
managed to start using Squeak full time and managed to develop some very
interesting commercial systems as well!

One of my main interests is to make Squeak live up to its goal as the tool
of choice in realizing the Dynabook dream. Another area I am and will be
actively involved in is to make Squeak more suitable for commercial quality
systems development.

If elected I'll:
        - bring 25+years of software development experience that spans a
wide variety from very large banking-insurance systems and telecoms
applications to very specialized one-off prototypes,
        - work towards teaching people how to make Squeak created systems
look more beautiful and appealing to broader community,
        - help make Squeak more suitable towards commercial quality
software,
        - work towards creating paying jobs for Squeakers

Tansel

Re: Yet Another Candidate Announcement for the Squeak Board: TanselErsavas

Gary Fisher-3
Tansel,

I still find my old copies of Squeak News useful.  It's good to hear from
you.

Gary

[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000714-3, 02/18/2007
Tested on: 2/18/07 4:12:56 PM

Re: Yet Another Candidate Announcement for the Squeak Board: Tansel Ersavas

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 2/18/07 6:00 PM, "Tansel" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce my candidature for the board as well.
>
> My name is Tansel Ersavas.I have been Smalltalking for about 15 years and
> following Squeak since its announcement. My previous experience with Squeak
> include a number of commercial Squeak applications starting 1997, several
> presentations, tutorials and a workshop at various international
> conferences, and the interactive CD based Squeak News e-zine. Although I had
> to be not as involved in Squeak as I wanted in the last few years finally
> managed to start using Squeak full time and managed to develop some very
> interesting commercial systems as well!
>
> One of my main interests is to make Squeak live up to its goal as the tool
> of choice in realizing the Dynabook dream. Another area I am and will be
> actively involved in is to make Squeak more suitable for commercial quality
> systems development.
>
> If elected I'll:
> - bring 25+years of software development experience that spans a
> wide variety from very large banking-insurance systems and telecoms
> applications to very specialized one-off prototypes,
> - work towards teaching people how to make Squeak created systems
> look more beautiful and appealing to broader community,
> - help make Squeak more suitable towards commercial quality
> software,
> - work towards creating paying jobs for Squeakers
>
> Tansel

Tansel:

You do a incredible work for community with Squeak News.
Have my vote and I wait some link to actual work of you.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: Yet Another Candidate Announcement for the Squeak Board: Tansel Ersavas

David T. Lewis
Hello Tansel,

It is great have you back! I still have all all five of my original
Squeak News CDs, really excellent work.

Dave

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 11:00:32PM +0200, Tansel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce my candidature for the board as well.
>
> My name is Tansel Ersavas.I have been Smalltalking for about 15 years and
> following Squeak since its announcement. My previous experience with Squeak
> include a number of commercial Squeak applications starting 1997, several
> presentations, tutorials and a workshop at various international
> conferences, and the interactive CD based Squeak News e-zine. Although I had
> to be not as involved in Squeak as I wanted in the last few years finally
> managed to start using Squeak full time and managed to develop some very
> interesting commercial systems as well!
>
> One of my main interests is to make Squeak live up to its goal as the tool
> of choice in realizing the Dynabook dream. Another area I am and will be
> actively involved in is to make Squeak more suitable for commercial quality
> systems development.
>
> If elected I'll:
> - bring 25+years of software development experience that spans a
> wide variety from very large banking-insurance systems and telecoms
> applications to very specialized one-off prototypes,
> - work towards teaching people how to make Squeak created systems
> look more beautiful and appealing to broader community,
> - help make Squeak more suitable towards commercial quality
> software,
> - work towards creating paying jobs for Squeakers
>
> Tansel

Re: Yet Another Candidate Announcement for the Squeak Board: TanselErsavas

Leandro Caniglia
Hi Tansel.

It is always really good having news from you!

/Leandro

> It is great have you back! I still have all all five of my original
> Squeak News CDs, really excellent work.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 11:00:32PM +0200, Tansel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to announce my candidature for the board as well.
>>
>> My name is Tansel Ersavas.I have been Smalltalking for about 15 years and
>> following Squeak since its announcement. My previous experience with
>> Squeak
>> include a number of commercial Squeak applications starting 1997, several
>> presentations, tutorials and a workshop at various international
>> conferences, and the interactive CD based Squeak News e-zine. Although I
>> had
>> to be not as involved in Squeak as I wanted in the last few years finally
>> managed to start using Squeak full time and managed to develop some very
>> interesting commercial systems as well!
>>
>> One of my main interests is to make Squeak live up to its goal as the
>> tool
>> of choice in realizing the Dynabook dream. Another area I am and will be
>> actively involved in is to make Squeak more suitable for commercial
>> quality
>> systems development.
>>
>> If elected I'll:
>> - bring 25+years of software development experience that spans a
>> wide variety from very large banking-insurance systems and telecoms
>> applications to very specialized one-off prototypes,
>> - work towards teaching people how to make Squeak created systems
>> look more beautiful and appealing to broader community,
>> - help make Squeak more suitable towards commercial quality
>> software,
>> - work towards creating paying jobs for Squeakers
>>
>> Tansel

Re: Yet Another Candidate Announcement for the Squeak Board: Tansel Ersavas

garduino
Hi Tansel:

I'm particularly interested in the use of Squeak as a development tool
for commercial applications, as I've said several times. Think that
this goal need some attention of the Board.

By other hand, I don't think that using Squeak in this way
(commercial) could avoid anything of the
academic/educational/frontiers mover traditional focus of Squeak.
Rather than, having more Squeak commercial niches, may help in get
interest in companies, and by consequence some money/work to more
squeakers and, may be, the foundation.

Just my two cents.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz

2007/2/18, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> El 2/18/07 6:00 PM, "Tansel" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to announce my candidature for the board as well.
> >
> > My name is Tansel Ersavas.I have been Smalltalking for about 15 years and
> > following Squeak since its announcement. My previous experience with Squeak
> > include a number of commercial Squeak applications starting 1997, several
> > presentations, tutorials and a workshop at various international
> > conferences, and the interactive CD based Squeak News e-zine. Although I had
> > to be not as involved in Squeak as I wanted in the last few years finally
> > managed to start using Squeak full time and managed to develop some very
> > interesting commercial systems as well!
> >
> > One of my main interests is to make Squeak live up to its goal as the tool
> > of choice in realizing the Dynabook dream. Another area I am and will be
> > actively involved in is to make Squeak more suitable for commercial quality
> > systems development.
> >
> > If elected I'll:
> > - bring 25+years of software development experience that spans a
> > wide variety from very large banking-insurance systems and telecoms
> > applications to very specialized one-off prototypes,
> > - work towards teaching people how to make Squeak created systems
> > look more beautiful and appealing to broader community,
> > - help make Squeak more suitable towards commercial quality
> > software,
> > - work towards creating paying jobs for Squeakers
> >
> > Tansel
>
> Tansel:
>
> You do a incredible work for community with Squeak News.
> Have my vote and I wait some link to actual work of you.
>
> Edgar

> Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
> Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
> está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
> ¡Probalo ya!
> http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: Yet Another Candidate Announcement for the Squeak Board: Tansel Ersavas

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi-2
+1

--
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi - Consultor