Squeak Board minutes - 10/1/12

Chris Cunnington

All members were present: Chris Cunnington, Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta, Chris Muller, Colin Putney, Randal Schwartz, Levente Uzonyi

- The next Squeak Community Meeting is on 13 October. Find a web cam and join us in a fun Google Hangout! [1]

- We are happy to see the work on Squeak 4.4 being in the home stretch now, looking forward to the release

- Ideas are collecting for Squeak 4.5, such as including a full Environments implementation and removing deprecated code.

- Traits were discussed. We would like to know about Squeak projects that use Traits for development, or about other packages that use Traits.

- Squeak took possession of a new Virtual Server from Gandi.net [2] provided courtesy of our legal home, the Software Freedom Conservancy [3]. The existing Jenkins server [4] will be moved over to the new location and expanded to manage more jobs. Those jobs will not just be for running tests on the trunk image, but for virtual machine compilation. It is to be hoped that having a working start-to-finish build script that anybody can run will help to document the process and make it more accessible to all Squeakers.

- The Softlayer server is still waiting on approval from its legal department and is expected to arrive in the near future

- We briefly touched the subject of marketing/promoting Squeak to the wider world. One idea is to create greater visibility for the projects members of the community are working on, which is one of the objectives of the Squeak Community Meetings on G+. Since we ran out of time we will return to this topic at our next meeting.

[1] https://plus.google.com/events/c0nfhlfod6ogn3aumsq6seda7g8

[2] http://www.gandi.net/

[3] http://www.sfconservancy.org/

[4] http://squeakci.org/

Re: Squeak Board minutes - 10/1/12

CdAB63
On 02-10-2012 10:44, Chris Cunnington wrote:
(...)

- Traits were discussed. We would like to know about Squeak projects that use Traits for development, or about other packages that use Traits.

In my current project (a squeak written ECDIS) I'm using traits to deal with geographic calculations (distances, bearings, etc... etc... etc...).
(...)