Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Squeak Board on the #100 IM podcast

Chris Cunnington
Janko informed me that the podcast I and Craig Latta did last week on James Robertson's blog is now up.

http://www.jarober.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=IM_100:_Squeak_Board_Update&entry=3528913543

I answered questions on a lot of topics off the top of my head. Last Tuesday was a busy day, and so perhaps I can be forgiven for not getting everything exactly correct. Janko added a comment on the IM forum about Aida:

Re: IM 100: Squeak Board Update

[Janko Mivšek] October 29, 2012 9:20:01.706

Hi guys,

Just a comment about Aida/Web presumably not supported on Squeak: Aida is always released on VW and Squeak/Pharo. Aida is designed and developed all the time with portability in mind. To all Smalltalks, not just for that or another camp. We'd like that Smalltalkers as such a small community unite, not divide ourselves!

In last year or two Aida is always ported and tested on Pharo first. It is true that previous version of Aida was ported but not tested on Squeak, because previous Pharo ports worked on Squeak automatically. Yet on latest Squeak 4.2 not which we discovered in a squeak.org upgrading week Chris Cunningham mentioned in above interview. But this small glitch doesn't mean Squeak is not supported at all! Contrary, even that I admit I didn't have much time in a week we agreed to work together on website upgrade, a patched Aida was provided in few days and announced on the list Chris followed as well. So Chris, if you lost interest on migrating squeak.org so fast, you should at least be honest and don't spread false information around. An information you should know it is not true.

To my knowledge Aida still isn't working on Squeak. That's pretty much why I said that in a podcast. If it is, then that's news to me. And nobody is too busy to say "I don't/didn't have much time in/this a week we agreed to work together on website upgrade", which is not an mailing list post I recall reading at the time. In situations like these its more likely that I'm ignorant more than Machiavellian. I imagine if Colin Putney listens to my description of Environments in the podcast, he'll slap his forehead. Oh well. :p

Chris

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squeak Board on the #100 IM podcast

Herbert König
Hi,

> To my knowledge Aida still isn't working on Squeak. That's pretty much
> why I said that in a podcast. If it is, then that's news to me. And
> nobody is too busy to say "I don't/didn't have much time in/this a
> week we agreed to work together on website upgrade", which is not an
> mailing list post I recall reading at the time.
just for the record:
in that week I recall that the problems were related to the Aida add on
(CMS) named Scribo not Aida itself. Scribo would be needed for the
Squeak site.

Cheers

Herbert