Squeak By Example image file

robert.kuropkat

Does the original Squeak By Example image file still exist anywhere?  I
swear I found it once and can't again.  It may have been named
SBE.image or something similar.  For some reason, I thought this was
intended to be used with v4 of Squeak, but according to the book it is
for v3.9.

Robert Kuropkat

tty

Re: Squeak By Example image file

tty
The link provided within the pdf: SqueakByExample.org goes somewhere very
weird. The SBE github page
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/SqueakByExample-english  makes
note that the link is futzed.

There used to be stack VM's at http://www.squeakvm.org/ but the site is not
responding.

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html
tty

Re: Squeak By Example image file

tty
I have a Squeak 3.0 for i686-pc linux I can make available via FTP if the VM
link does not come online.

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: Squeak By Example image file

robert.kuropkat

Actually, I found it just last night.  I was reading through the book
when I noticed a screenshot had the name of the image and it was
different than I was looking for.  Searching for SqueakByExample-
1.3.zip got a hit!  So now I have it.

Thanks for searching also.

Robert Kuropkat

On Thu, 2019-09-19 at 14:46 -0500, tty wrote:

> The link provided within the pdf: SqueakByExample.org goes somewhere
> very
> weird. The SBE github page
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/SqueakByExample-english  m
> akes
> note that the link is futzed.
>
> There used to be stack VM's at http://www.squeakvm.org/ but the site
> is not
> responding.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: Squeak By Example image file

mechanic
Thanks for the pointer to the pdf file, as noted the website seems to have
been pirated. That's one of the useful info sources I remember from some
years ago and was vainly searching for the other day. As for version 3
Squeak someone mentioned, I see that there is a squeak-vm package in Ubuntu
that as of today installed version 3 of squeak. Useful for that 'squeak and
robots' pdf I was working through the last few days. Installing the Squeak
executable on Linux was proving difficult here before discovering that
package!

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: Squeak By Example image file

robert.kuropkat

Do you have specific questions?  I have managed to locate both the PDF files of both books (Squeak: Learn Programing with Robots and Squeak by Example as well as the image files for both.  I've installed the Squeak VM from the squeak.org site on Windows and Linux (Linux is a bit tough because it needs 32 bit support installed) and I've seen it done on MacOS.  I am using both for a class I am teaching right now.

Robert Kuropkat

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 14:38:15 -0500 (CDT)
mechanic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer to the pdf file, as noted the
>website seems to have
> been pirated. That's one of the useful info sources I
>remember from some
> years ago and was vainly searching for the other day. As
& gt;for version 3

> Squeak someone mentioned, I see that there is a
>squeak-vm package in Ubuntu
> that as of today installed version 3 of squeak. Useful
>for that 'squeak and
> robots' pdf I was working through the last few days.
>Installing the Squeak
> executable on Linux was proving difficult here before
>discovering that
> package!
>

> --
> Sent from:
>http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: Squeak By Example image file

Nicola Mingotti

Hi Chris,

I started with Squeak/Smalltalk about 3 months ago.

You need to see absolutely the Squeak Swiki:
https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak

In the Wiki there is a lot of info and it is not trivial to search stuff. I found that a good strategy is to look daily at "Changes" made by other people. Just press "Changes" button on the top of the web page. In this way you are more confident you are reading pages with updated info.

I made my own page on the Swiki, there I collect pointers to tutorials and articles as soon as I make them. Here it is:
https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6624

The most important book to start with is "Squeak by Examples", you should easily find the pdf. A good book on Smalltalk (for programmers) is "Smalltalk by example" Alec Sharp.

bye
Nicola