Squeak Download/Installation

Michael Rice-3
Hi

I just downloaded the All-in-One package. Not sure what to do next.
There's a squeak.sh file in the unpacked contents, but there's also a squeak.sh file in the Contents/Linux-i686/bin directory. Which do I execute? Also, not sure if I need to download anything else and, if so, what I should download (version?) and where I should download it from (squeak.org?). I'm on Fedora 14 Linux (32-bit).

Michael

Re: Squeak Download/Installation

David Mitchell-10
Nothing else to download, that's what is great about the All-in-one.

If you are on Unix, run squeak.sh from the unpacked contents.

If you are on windows, run squeak.lnk (shortcut to Squeak.exe)

On mac, the folder itself is an app.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM, michael rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I just downloaded the All-in-One package. Not sure what to do next.
There's a squeak.sh file in the unpacked contents, but there's also a squeak.sh file in the Contents/Linux-i686/bin directory. Which do I execute? Also, not sure if I need to download anything else and, if so, what I should download (version?) and where I should download it from (squeak.org?). I'm on Fedora 14 Linux (32-bit).

Michael

Re: Squeak Download/Installation

K K Subbu
On Tuesday 01 Mar 2011 6:40:50 am michael rice wrote:
> I just downloaded the All-in-One package. Not sure what to do next.
> There's a squeak.sh file in the unpacked contents, but there's also a
> squeak.sh file in the Contents/Linux-i686/bin directory. Which do I
> execute?
The squeak.sh in the top level directory

The inner squeak.sh is an interactive VM launcher which will use a native
dialog box to search for a image in a folder and then launch it.

The outer squeak.sh will use the image that is bundled into the all-in-one
package. On Fedora, you can create an application launcher button for this
script and start Squeak 4.2 with a single click.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Squeak Download/Installation

Michael Rice-3
Got it working. Looks good.

Another quick question: if I run application with the "outer" squeak.sh and I decide I want to save the image, does it save the new image over the bundled image, replacing it?

Michael

On Tuesday 01 Mar 2011 6:40:50 am michael rice wrote:
> I just downloaded the All-in-One package. Not sure what to do next.
> There's a squeak.sh file in the unpacked contents, but there's also a
> squeak.sh file in the Contents/Linux-i686/bin directory. Which do I
> execute?
The squeak.sh in the top level directory

The inner squeak.sh is an interactive VM launcher which will use a native
dialog box to search for a image in a folder and then launch it.

The outer squeak.sh will use the image that is bundled into the all-in-one
package. On Fedora, you can create an application launcher button for this
script and start Squeak 4.2 with a single click.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Squeak Download/Installation

David Mitchell-10
Yep. If you want to keep an image at a certain state, just make a copy of the image and changes file.

My kids used to run the Stef's robots image from a a one-click distro off a USB key.

They would stop their robot environment, move machines (often between Ubuntu and Windows) and resume them. I tried to explain how awesome it all was, but they weren't the slightest bit amazed. ;-)

Just seemed like the way things should be.