Squeak Experts Near Portland Oregon

Robert F. Scheer-2
Hi all,

I'm the President of the local robotics club, the Portland Area Robotics
Society and a fairly new squeaker.  Jon Hylands posted a little bit of
Squeak hype from me awhile ago.

My personal robot development is coming along pretty well and I'm still
quite interested in this language.  Still a raw newbie though.

Now we're starting a rather big project within our club that we hope
will establish a very popular open-source outdoor robot kit for $500.
By popular, it all depends on how well it performs, but it might end up
with thousands in the field.  It's performance goal is to be the best
RoboMagellan robot to date so it must rapidly navigate on an unmarked
course of around a mile in length and use vision to locate and touch
(softly) a few orange traffic cones.  This has historically been a tough
bag of requirements and we'd like to catalyze a breakthrough entry point
to the hobby.

Who knows.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to use Squeak for this project
but it will be a tough sell because literally nobody knows anybody who
uses Squeak for robots.  The opinion ranges from mostly totally ignorant
to negative.  Only one well-known roboticist in our sphere of
communication uses Squeak and that's Jon Hylands.  Lots of people use
assembly language on microcomputers.  Most people use C/C++ and Java I
think.

Is there anyone expert enough to give an interesting talk here in
Portland that would be directed at people with widely varying
programming backgrounds all interested in robot development.  We'd
really appreciate it!!!

Thanks.

- Robert Scheer

Re: Squeak Experts Near Portland Oregon

Jon Hylands
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:04:55 -0800, "Robert F. Scheer"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there anyone expert enough to give an interesting talk here in
> Portland that would be directed at people with widely varying
> programming backgrounds all interested in robot development.  We'd
> really appreciate it!!!

Actually, by some coincidence one of my friends is doing a Smalltalk
contract in Salaam, OR, as we speak. He's coming home for Christmas, but
will be back there early January for a couple weeks.

I'm going to see him next Saturday (week from tomorrow), and I'll see if he
has any interest in doing something like that.

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

  Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
           http://www.huv.com/blog

Re: Squeak Experts Near Portland Oregon

stephane ducasse
Robert

what is the memory footprint of your robots?
Let us know how we can help.
http://www.squeakbyexample.org/ is one way :)

Stef

On 15 déc. 07, at 03:04, Robert F. Scheer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm the President of the local robotics club, the Portland Area
> Robotics
> Society and a fairly new squeaker.  Jon Hylands posted a little bit of
> Squeak hype from me awhile ago.
>
> My personal robot development is coming along pretty well and I'm
> still
> quite interested in this language.  Still a raw newbie though.
>
> Now we're starting a rather big project within our club that we hope
> will establish a very popular open-source outdoor robot kit for $500.
> By popular, it all depends on how well it performs, but it might
> end up
> with thousands in the field.  It's performance goal is to be the best
> RoboMagellan robot to date so it must rapidly navigate on an unmarked
> course of around a mile in length and use vision to locate and touch
> (softly) a few orange traffic cones.  This has historically been a
> tough
> bag of requirements and we'd like to catalyze a breakthrough entry
> point
> to the hobby.
>
> Who knows.
>
> I was thinking it would be a good idea to use Squeak for this project
> but it will be a tough sell because literally nobody knows anybody who
> uses Squeak for robots.  The opinion ranges from mostly totally
> ignorant
> to negative.  Only one well-known roboticist in our sphere of
> communication uses Squeak and that's Jon Hylands.  Lots of people use
> assembly language on microcomputers.  Most people use C/C++ and Java I
> think.
>
> Is there anyone expert enough to give an interesting talk here in
> Portland that would be directed at people with widely varying
> programming backgrounds all interested in robot development.  We'd
> really appreciate it!!!
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Robert Scheer

Re: Squeak Experts Near Portland Oregon

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 12/14/07 11:04 PM, "Robert F. Scheer" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm the President of the local robotics club, the Portland Area Robotics
> Society and a fairly new squeaker.  Jon Hylands posted a little bit of
> Squeak hype from me awhile ago.
>
> My personal robot development is coming along pretty well and I'm still
> quite interested in this language.  Still a raw newbie though.
>
> Now we're starting a rather big project within our club that we hope
> will establish a very popular open-source outdoor robot kit for $500.
> By popular, it all depends on how well it performs, but it might end up
> with thousands in the field.  It's performance goal is to be the best
> RoboMagellan robot to date so it must rapidly navigate on an unmarked
> course of around a mile in length and use vision to locate and touch
> (softly) a few orange traffic cones.  This has historically been a tough
> bag of requirements and we'd like to catalyze a breakthrough entry point
> to the hobby.
>
> Who knows.
>
> I was thinking it would be a good idea to use Squeak for this project
> but it will be a tough sell because literally nobody knows anybody who
> uses Squeak for robots.  The opinion ranges from mostly totally ignorant
> to negative.  Only one well-known roboticist in our sphere of
> communication uses Squeak and that's Jon Hylands.  Lots of people use
> assembly language on microcomputers.  Most people use C/C++ and Java I
> think.
>
> Is there anyone expert enough to give an interesting talk here in
> Portland that would be directed at people with widely varying
> programming backgrounds all interested in robot development.  We'd
> really appreciate it!!!
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Robert Scheer

I know who did in Argentina.
They show in Smalltaks 2007.
Send private mail if you wish.

Edgar

Re: Squeak Experts Near Portland Oregon

Robert F. Scheer-2
Thanks Edgar,

It appears there are many Squeakers in and around Portland.  How did I
get so lucky?  Thanks for your offer of help.

- Robert

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 06:34 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 12/14/07 11:04 PM, "Robert F. Scheer" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm the President of the local robotics club, the Portland Area Robotics
> > Society and a fairly new squeaker.  Jon Hylands posted a little bit of
> > Squeak hype from me awhile ago.
> >
> > My personal robot development is coming along pretty well and I'm still
> > quite interested in this language.  Still a raw newbie though.
> >
> > Now we're starting a rather big project within our club that we hope
> > will establish a very popular open-source outdoor robot kit for $500.
> > By popular, it all depends on how well it performs, but it might end up
> > with thousands in the field.  It's performance goal is to be the best
> > RoboMagellan robot to date so it must rapidly navigate on an unmarked
> > course of around a mile in length and use vision to locate and touch
> > (softly) a few orange traffic cones.  This has historically been a tough
> > bag of requirements and we'd like to catalyze a breakthrough entry point
> > to the hobby.
> >
> > Who knows.
> >
> > I was thinking it would be a good idea to use Squeak for this project
> > but it will be a tough sell because literally nobody knows anybody who
> > uses Squeak for robots.  The opinion ranges from mostly totally ignorant
> > to negative.  Only one well-known roboticist in our sphere of
> > communication uses Squeak and that's Jon Hylands.  Lots of people use
> > assembly language on microcomputers.  Most people use C/C++ and Java I
> > think.
> >
> > Is there anyone expert enough to give an interesting talk here in
> > Portland that would be directed at people with widely varying
> > programming backgrounds all interested in robot development.  We'd
> > really appreciate it!!!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > - Robert Scheer
>
> I know who did in Argentina.
> They show in Smalltaks 2007.
> Send private mail if you wish.
>
> Edgar

Re: Squeak Experts Near Portland Oregon

Robert F. Scheer-2
Stephane,

For a project that would host a Squeak program, the machine would range
from something like a Gumstix or Hammer running Linux to a mini-ITX or
laptop with a dual core CPU running Linux, Windows or MAC OS's.  Memory
would range from 128MB - 1GB typically.

My project is using 1GB currently on a Core 2 Duo Mini-ITX hosting
Linux.

Just scanned through your book "Squeak Learn Programming with Robots"
and now you need to write the next book "Squeak - Intermediate
Programming on Real Robots"!!

You DO want to get interested in robots, don't you?

Thanks for the great help everyone.

- Robert