Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Candidates

12345 ... 7

Re: election details

Lex Spoon-3
"Ron Teitelbaum" <[hidden email]> writes:
> As a voter I would like people to answer my questions, but I'm abstaining
> from asking again.  I will most likely vote for candidates that spend some
> time actually participating in a conversation, answering questions, filling
> in the wiki page and addressing issues about building, managing, and
> supporting our community.

That is how I would like it to be looked at, too.  Deciding what
questions should be answered is, itself, a democratic issue.  :)

That said, it does not take any official action to get these
discussions going.  All it takes is a motivated community member to
ask all the candidates a question and then post their responses.  Feel
free to write a giant flashing red "DID NOT RESPOND" for any candidate
that did not even write you back.

-Lex

Re: election details (was "Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Candidates")

Lex Spoon-3
Roel Wuyts <[hidden email]> writes:
> In my opinion it is not the task of an election committee to prepare
> questions or start a discussion (no matter how well the intentions,
> as in this case). It is the task of the committee to help the process
> though: setting up a wiki, provide a resume with all the names of the
> candidates, ask all the candidates for a small abstract of their
> plans and a link to more detailed information, etc.

Right on.  We may as well start good habits.

This said, I would love to see someone, or even better multiple
people, maintaining web pages or wiki pages that collect and distill
what the candidates have said.

-Lex

Re: election details (was "Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Candidates")

Daniel Vainsencher-3
Note that the wiki page exists [1], it has links to election pages for
each of the candidates.

Todd, Cees, Brad, Craig and Tim have used those to put up some
information and links about themselves and their intentions. There are
two questions there pending answers for Stef and Tansel.

[1]
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Squeak%20Foundation%20Board%202007%20Election

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Roel Wuyts <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> In my opinion it is not the task of an election committee to prepare
>> questions or start a discussion (no matter how well the intentions,
>> as in this case). It is the task of the committee to help the process
>> though: setting up a wiki, provide a resume with all the names of the
>> candidates, ask all the candidates for a small abstract of their
>> plans and a link to more detailed information, etc.
>>

> Right on.  We may as well start good habits.
>
> This said, I would love to see someone, or even better multiple
> people, maintaining web pages or wiki pages that collect and distill
> what the candidates have said.
>
> -Lex

re: election details

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

> I wonder, if Ron not send the mail with the proposal of questions and
> support mail of the rest of Squeakers, what happened? May be
> nothing...

     Well, something had already happened before he sent that message.
As the candidates announced their candidacies, they each mentioned what
they had done (if running again), and what they'd like to do, as
requested. I thought those messages were very useful (and I've repeated
mine on my election wiki page).

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

re: election details

ccrraaiigg

Hi Ron--

> Do you support stepping up fundraising? If so, what do you propose to
> do with the money collected?

     It seems to me that there is a very strong consensus in the
community in support of increased fundraising; I support it as well. In
fact, this consensus is so strong that the first part of the question
strikes me as very odd. Clearly (to me), the tricky part, and where
there *is* disagreement, is about creating an appropriate legal entity
to receive and disburse the funds.

     If we had funding, I would suggest we spend it on keeping the
community's online facilities running (hosting bills, etc.). If we can
devise a fair and productive way to fund development, I would support
that as well.

> Do you support bounty projects? If so, can you lay out how you would
> like to see a bounty program administered?

     As I said above, I support funding development in a fair and
productive way. The typical "bounty" seems to consist of a vague
statement of the desired result and a rather arbitrary financial reward.
I think doing something like this in the Squeak community would almost
certainly lead to bitterness, because it would be a race where every
loser would invest far more effort than is reasonable. I think it would
create unconstructive competition. It would turn developers into
footrace contestants working in secret, each hoping to beat the others.
There would be significant pressure to claim to be first, rather than
doing the job properly; and I suspect there would be a great deal of
arguing over whether the goal was actually met, and the people arguing
would have a financial interest in the outcome. Not good!

     For each desired result, I would much rather see the appropriate
community team solicit and refine bids from interested developers, in
public, and choose one. With a dialog between bidders and the rest of
the community, I think we'd be more likely to define the goal with
sufficient detail, and choose appropriate rewards. I expect that a bid
could be rescinded if work went over schedule, etc.

     Of course, for any of this to be possible, we need to have a budget
which is both sufficiently large and *sustainable*.

> Do you support incorporation and not for profit tax status for Squeak
> Foundation?

     This question strikes me as especially loaded. The Squeak
Foundation board of directors has already been working toward this for
months, as you can read in the board meeting notes. Isn't it a bit late
to be asking this question? Why didn't you take issue with our approach
when we mentioned it in the meeting notes? The main signal I get from
this question is that you oppose incorporation as a distinct tax-exempt
organization, and that you're somehow trying to draw support for that
point of view. Not long after you initially posted these questions, my
suspicion was proved correct by a subsequent message you sent to the
board (which I leave to you to repeat in public if you wish).

     At best, I think you have a conflict of interest on this issue
(between speaking for the community in asking campaign questions and
having your own agenda on this issue).

> What do you believe is the future of Smalltalk?

     I think the future of Smalltalk is one in which it is seen as the
easiest way to teach the expression of intent with a computer, and the
most productive way to build meaningful systems. So far I think
Smalltalk has done rather well on the second part, but very poorly on
the first.

> What do you think the community is doing right, what should be
> improved?

     The community has started to delegate tasks to the right interested
people, which is great. The way we communicate, though, isn't terribly
effective. I think it'd help if we devoted more effort to real-time
communication (e.g., via the Squeak IRC channel, Skype, and in-person
conferences).

> Should the Squeak be represented at more conferences?

     Of course it should. I can't imagine why anyone would answer "no"
to this question, so it seems very odd. There are, however, reasons why
we might not able to accomplish it, such as a lack of funds or available
time. I hope no one will confuse a lack of resources with a lack of desire.

> Should Tim be given a gazillon dollars for his excellent work on
> Squeak?

     We should all have a gazillion dollars for our excellent work on
Squeak.

> They are not arbitrary questions or one sided Ron's agenda questions.

     I hope I made myself clear about that in my answers.

> I thought they were pretty well sanitized and general.  Some of them
> are downright softballs!

     Whether or not they're softballs is beside the point. Some of the
questions were *leading*, not necessarily aggressive. I think tough
questions are fine.

     Well, judging by the inevitable email storm around questioning, it
seems to me that to remain above reproach a candidate must answer any
and all questions asked by anyone everywhere (lest a flashing red "DID
NOT RESPOND" descend from the skies :). I'll certainly try to answer any
question I see, as my available time allows. But you'll pardon me if I
answer the questions I see between the lines as well. :)

     Finally, thanks for your work on the elections team, Ron (and
thanks to Daniel and the rest of the team). While I disagree with some
of your ideas about how to conduct an election, I do appreciate your work.

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

RE: election details

Ron Teitelbaum
Thanks for your answers Craig.

I think you may have read my intentions wrong concerning the incorporation.
While compiling this list I went over the issues that were asked by the
community.  Most of the issues that seemed to be very important were
licensing, funding (and corporate sponsorship, or engaging more businesses),
incorporation, and most of all bounty projects.  The rest are things that
I'm interested in: the future of Smalltalk and how we can improve the
community.  The conference question has been coming up recently in different
lists and I think the community agrees that we should be raising money and
one of the major things we could be doing is sponsoring people to attend
conference and represent Squeak.  I'd be interested if the board agrees with
that.  I didn't think it would be appropriate to ask questions about current
development and things that are still being debated so I left those
questions out.

During the last election the major issue was, if we are going to incorporate
why haven't we?  I put that question in there as a softball to give you and
others a chance to say what is going on or voice their support for this
important issue.  I am not against incorporation.

The email you are talking about was some current advice and some ancient
history that I gave to Bert.  He asked me if he could forward my advice to
you.  I thought I was pretty clear what my issues are and if the board would
like to continue with the conversations and advice I was giving it before
the current board was elected and eliminated my participation I will be
happy to help where I can.  I suppose you did me a favor since I was
spending too much time on it anyway.  My goals are pretty simple; I'm trying
to help the community where I can.  I believe it would be good for the
community for the next board to be more open, ask for and accept more help.

I appreciate your talent and contributions to the community.  You did a very
nice job organizing board and finally getting things moving.

Thanks again for answering the questions,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: election details *PLEASE READ*

tblanchard
> 1) Do you support stepping up fundraising?
Absolutely.

> If so what do you propose to do
> with the money collected?

After we pay the current bills, bounties and funding students to work
on core facilities come to mind.

> 2) Do you support bounty projects?  If so can you lay out how you
> would like
> to see a bounty program administered?

See above. I can think of a couple different models that might work
including bidding, claiming for a time period, X-prize style where
you offer a prize to complete a goal and first one to hit it claims
the money.  I think it would require some discussion to come up with
the appropriate model and not every model may be appropriate for
every project.

> 3) Do you support incorporation and not for profit tax status for
> Squeak
> Foundation?

Yes

> 4) What do you believe is the future of Smalltalk?

I believe every other language is asymptotically approaching Smalltalk.

> 5) What do you think the community is doing right, what should be
> improved?

The web site is looking great, some of the teams are doing great
things.  Letting Ralph focus on raising the quality bar for 3.10 is a
step in the right direction.  I think there are rather too many
competing forks coming up and some coordination/communication might
be in order.  I don't think the board can dictate any of this, but I
think it can help people make connections.

> 6) Should the Squeak be represented at more conferences?

Yes - too many people have never heard of it.

> 7) Should Tim be given a gazillon dollars for his excellent work on
> Squeak?

Sure, it should be easy since he lives in Canada and their dollars
are so much smaller than real dollars.
:-)  Seriously, it would be great to find ways to reward more people
for their contributions.

> They are not arbitrary questions or one sided Ron's agenda
> questions.  I
> thought they were pretty well sanitized and general.  Some of them are
> downright softballs!
>
> Ron

Re: Question for Candidates: Incorperation and Viewpoints Research Institute

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 02:08:01PM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> 3) Do you support incorporation and not for profit tax status for Squeak
> Foundation?

I have an addendum for this question for the candidates.
Viewpoints Research Institute is already a non-profit entity
dedicated to the development of Squeak. What do you envision is
the purpose of the Squeak Foundation with respect to Viewpoints,
and how to you think they should contribute to one another in
terms of funds and talent pools?

Re: election details *PLEASE READ*

Andreas.Raab
>> 4) What do you believe is the future of Smalltalk?
>
> I believe every other language is asymptotically approaching Smalltalk.

Hm. Can't really let this statement stand by itself. While I think
(hope) it isn't meant that way I find ignorance one of the hardest
things to tolerate. Saying that "every other language is asymptotically
approaching Smalltalk" sounds too much like "and therefore we can safely
ignore them" to my mind. My wish for people representing Squeak (not
only, but particularly those) would be to be open and engaging in
discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of each system and
language. This means acknowledging that other languages (including Java)
have their strengths (yes, including Java) and that a discussion
(regardless of its outcome) about what parts may be worthwhile to adopt
in the context of Squeak is desirable and should be held with an open
mind towards improving both language and system.

Personally, I think Python is a good example in this regard. There are a
lot of new features proposed every time and they are often weighed based
on how "Pythonic" they feel (which is a beautifully underspecified term
to keep the discussion open and discuss how a feature relates in the
context of other language features). And while I will admit that
language changes can go overboard (recently I discovered
"whitespaceless" Python which is about as *disgusting* a language abuse
as they get) a lot of good features get integrated in Python by looking
at and learning from other languages and systems.

In any case, I think it is important for people representing Squeak to
stay open to improvements *to the language* and not just to claim that
"eventually, every other language will get there so really there will
never, ever be anything to learn here".

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: election details *PLEASE READ*

timrowledge

On 20-Feb-07, at 8:26 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

>> 7) Should Tim be given a gazillon dollars for his excellent work
>> on Squeak?
>
> Sure, it should be easy since he lives in Canada and their dollars
> are so much smaller than real dollars.
> :-)

Hey! You should look at a currency comparison graph for the last few
years. George has done a terrific job of devaluing the USD. Which has
hurt me a great deal since a considerable fraction of my vast fortune
is entrained in USD right now :-(

And anyway, is a gazillion more or less than a brazillion?

tim
Useful random insult:- When a thought crosses her mind, it's a long
and lonely journey.

On Feb 20, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hm. Can't really let this statement stand by itself. While I think
> (hope) it isn't meant that way I find ignorance one of the hardest
> things to tolerate. Saying that "every other language is
> asymptotically approaching Smalltalk" sounds too much like "and
> therefore we can safely ignore them" to my mind.

That would be putting words into my mouth.  Good artists copy, great
artists steal.  I'm all about finding new synergies and stealing the
best ideas.

-Todd Blanchard

RE: election details *PLEASE READ*

Alan L. Lovejoy
<Andreas>...I think it is important for people representing Squeak to stay
open to improvements *to the language* and not just to claim that
"eventually, every other language will get there so really there will never,
ever be anything to learn here".
</Andreas>

Your comment made me think of the difference in attitude between French
speakers and English Speakers.

The French have L'Academie Francaise--and woe unto those it deems to be
sullying French with foreignisms.

The English have no such thing. English has a huge vocabulary--much of it
stolen shamlessly from other languages.

In my opinion, Smalltalkers act more like French speakers.  And that
definitely gets noticed, let me tell you.

Other programming languages have been stealing from Smalltalk for decades.
It's time we returned the favor.

--Alan

On Feb 20, 2007, at 11:57 PM, Alan Lovejoy wrote:

> Your comment made me think of the difference in attitude between
> French
> speakers and English Speakers.

I don't find this analogy particularly compelling.  I don't think
people are really trying to keep Smalltalk 'pure'.  I think they're
trying to find ways to improve it.  Lots of things have been tried -
multiple inheritance, prototype based vs class based models, access
control wrappers, etc...  The cool thing is you can make it what you
want already.  The trick is getting your nifty thing adopted into the
standard package.

> Other programming languages have been stealing from Smalltalk for
> decades.
> It's time we returned the favor.

I'm in favor of that - but honestly, there hasn't been a lot worth
stealing from the mainstream.

I have been looking at erlang recently and find some of the parallel/
process/queue constructs interesting and would love to try to bring
some of that over and try building a high performance web server
based on those patterns.

And then, of course, there are interesting technologies that have
nothing to do with the language but would make a great addition to
the platform.  Like Supple http://www.cs.washington.edu/ai/supple/ -
a really nifty demo I saw last year.

So there is lots of great stuff to steal - but not much of it from
the mainstream languages - they mostly seem to ape the last
generation and then take a little lunge in the direction of Smalltalk.

-Todd Blanchard

Todd Blanchard wrote:
> I'm in favor of that - but honestly, there hasn't been a lot worth
> stealing from the mainstream.

Really? Namespaces? Modules? Interfaces? Every even remotely mainstream
language I am aware about has at least two out of these three - you
don't find those worthwhile?

> So there is lots of great stuff to steal - but not much of it from the
> mainstream languages - they mostly seem to ape the last generation and
> then take a little lunge in the direction of Smalltalk.

I must admit I'm not particularly impressed with that overall assessment.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: election details *PLEASE READ*

Göran Krampe
Hi fellas!

>>> 4) What do you believe is the future of Smalltalk?
>>
>> I believe every other language is asymptotically approaching Smalltalk.
>
> Hm. Can't really let this statement stand by itself.
[SNIP]

I wholeheartedly agree with Andreas. While I also think *many* languages,
especially open source "scripting" (I hate the term) languages, are indeed
getting closer and closer to Smalltalk in *many* aspects (Ruby being one
of the prime examples of course), it is IMHO definitely not true of ALL
languages or ALL aspects.

Just look at Haskell or Erlang or Fortress or Factor or... there is a
whole range of "strange" languages out there. :) There are indeed lots of
neat things to steal, or at LEAST be inspired by.

Hmmm, even in Java. I guess. Somewhere. ;)

regards, Göran

On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> I must admit I'm not particularly impressed with that overall
> assessment.

Then don't vote for me.  Sheesh.

Given that AFAICS you've spent the better part of your career hacking
Smalltalk rather than working in the mudpits, I'm not giving your
view from a distance a lot of weight.

I have years of full time development in these languages - C++
expert, Java expert, Objective C expert.  Smalltalk - I'm just pretty
good.

Namespaces I've seen the effect of in C++, Java and VW.  I think they
are a bigger PITA than they are worth.  Honestly, I prefer sticking
two letter prefixes in front of stuff.

Modules are so overloaded you'll have to define what you mean.

Interfaces - not a fan of the hardwired interface ala Java.  I do
like informal protocols as implemented in ObjectiveC.  Specifically,
I like that I can define a protocol, and then ask an object if it
conforms to the protocol without having to go back and say "this
object will implement this protocol".  Not that explicit protocols
isn't occasionally useful, but I think the current
subclassResponsibility mechanism gets the same point across.

Re: election details *PLEASE READ*

Göran Krampe
Hi!

> Todd Blanchard wrote:
>> I'm in favor of that - but honestly, there hasn't been a lot worth
>> stealing from the mainstream.
>
> Really? Namespaces? Modules? Interfaces? Every even remotely mainstream
> language I am aware about has at least two out of these three - you
> don't find those worthwhile?

Ah. Yummy. That word again. :) Totally disregarding the point Andreas is
trying to make (which I agree on btw), let me ramble off:

- Namespaces. In my opinion this one is a hard one. Sure, we do need it
from time to time in different scenarios, but it sure is hard IMHO to
introduce a solution that doesn't "hurt" the feeling of Smalltalk.
Including my own proposal which tries damn hard though.

- Modules. This one would be neat to have in some fashion. I consider the
word to mean "independently deployable unit" btw. Today MC is more or less
grabbing this space (in a fashion) but with an SCM focus instead of
deployment focus.

Sidenote: I have toyed with an idea that a Module would simply consist of
a serialized object chunk (normally a Set of classes a la an mcz snapshot)
that has required inputs in the form of a list of globals and offered
outputs in the form of a list of globals. Loading a module would be
possible even if the required input globals weren't complete - it should
then create a temporary binding that another Modules later can "fill in".
This would make load order independent. Sure, it would not deal with
"extension methods" a la MC - but perhaps it shouldn't?

- Interfaces. Yes, might be neat to have. Traits touch on this a bit and
we also have SmallInterfaces (which I never have looked at). I really
don't know if it would hurt more than it would help.

But... that doesn't mean that I advocate Squeak to stand still
language-wise. I love the fact we got Traits - even though it hasn't taken
off yet AFAIK - anyone using them btw?

regards, Göran

Re: election details *PLEASE READ*

Stéphane Rollandin
Alan Lovejoy wrote:
> The French have L'Academie Francaise--and woe unto those it deems to be
> sullying French with foreignisms.

yes but keep in mind that about nobody cares about what the old timers
in the Académie Française may think...

Göran Krampe wrote:
>  I love the fact we got Traits - even though it hasn't taken
> off yet AFAIK - anyone using them btw?

I'm waiting for the tools to be ready...

Re: election details *PLEASE READ*

Blake-5
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:43:25 -0800, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wholeheartedly agree with Andreas. While I also think *many* languages,
> especially open source "scripting" (I hate the term) languages, are
> indeed
> getting closer and closer to Smalltalk in *many* aspects (Ruby being one
> of the prime examples of course), it is IMHO definitely not true of ALL
> languages or ALL aspects.

Can Ruby be considered as getting closer to Smalltalk if they started with
Smalltalk and deliberately moved away? :-)

I like (and use) a lot of languages but I don't find myself missing
language features when using Squeak. I do miss certain IDE elements,
however. And I do miss having a minimal starting point to build from.

12345 ... 7