Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

1234

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

ccrraaiigg

> Yes, but what if Nobody then resigns?
>
> ;)

     Actually, there are already three other Nobodies Emeritus on the
board that we weren't telling you about. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Tom Rushworth

On 2007-Mar-08, at 14:12 , Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 2:01 pm, Joshua Gargus wrote:
>> If the unpopular candidate lost to the "Nobody" candidate, then
>> "Nobody" would be the next in line for the board.  The board
>> would  then consist of 6 people, just as if "Nobody" had been one
>> of the top  7 vote-getters in the initial election.
>
> Yes, but what if Nobody then resigns?
>
> ;)

Then Nothing will have changed ;)

--
Tom Rushworth
GPG: DF93 C92A A27C 7AC7 FE06  CF14 F61C 6CFA F7E8 F81C

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

ccrraaiigg

     For what it's worth, I personally have no problem with voting as
much as once a day. :)  From my point of view it's a matter of how much
work the election team wants to put in running the mechanism.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

ccrraaiigg

> > ...replace with the next-ranked people willing to serve until you
> > fill the board.
>
> Or run out of candidates?

     Right, you stop at "Nobody", which would be at the end of the list
in that case.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

re: candidate/issue discussion (was "Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results")

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

     You know, a lot of discussion happens on the Squeak IRC channel on
freenode.net. In addition to here, I encourage everyone to visit the
channel and discuss!

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

re: candidate/issue discussion (was "Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results")

Ken Causey-3
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5888

if you aren't sure what Craig means.

Ken

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 14:55 -0800, Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi--
>
>      You know, a lot of discussion happens on the Squeak IRC channel on
> freenode.net. In addition to here, I encourage everyone to visit the
> channel and discuss!
>

> -C

RE: candidate/issue discussion (was "Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results")

Ron Teitelbaum
I hear plenty already about how much time I spend on email!

:)
Ron

     Substitute "in addition to" with "in addition to or instead of". :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

RE: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Alan L. Lovejoy

<Avi>
Yes, but what if Nobody then resigns? ;)
</Avi>

If Nobody resigns, the Nobody would would need to fill the vacant seat.  ;->

The real question is, once Nobody fills a vacant seat, how many must resign
after that before a new election is required?

--Alan

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Darius Clarke
The problem with having Nobody on the board is that he/she would be
almost impossible to defeat. This is simply obvious because "Nobody's
perfect" and "Nobody cares".

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Gary Fisher-3
Fortunately, Nobody's currently constrained by term limits and, frankly,
Nobody's worried about it.

The problem with having Nobody on the board is that he/she would be
almost impossible to defeat. This is simply obvious because "Nobody's
perfect" and "Nobody cares".

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000722-3, 03/08/2007
Tested on: 3/9/07 6:14:41 AM

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Darius Clarke
;-)

RE: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Doug Way
In the case of a resigning board member, there are probably 3 options
for how to proceed:

1. Select the next-highest vote getter from the previous election
2. Hold a special election to re-elect someone for that position
3. Don't refill the position, carry on with a smaller board

For what it's worth, I'm a member of a different board, and our board
has a fixed rule in place (as part of our by-laws) which is a
combination of #1 and #3:  We select the next-highest vote getter, but
if we're less than 3 months from the next election then we don't fill
the position.  This rule has worked pretty well for us.  (This board is
a low-tech, non-Internet-based board which has been around for 50 years,
but the principles remain the same.)

More specifically, if the next-highest vote getter is not willing to
serve, we proceed to the next-highest vote getter after that.  (This
actually happened last year with our board, the next-highest person
declined to serve, but the person after that was willing.)  As far as
treating "Nobody" as a bottom limit, that's not a bad idea, although
that ties your by-laws to the more specific CIVS voting process, but
that may be OK.

Personally, I think #2 (holding a special election) is probably too much
overhead for a volunteer board, and not worth the effort.

Typically, it's the job of the board to amend its own by-laws, so I'd
imagine the board would discuss and vote on this internally, rather than
having the elections team make a decision.

- Doug

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Michael Davies-2
While these matters are being considered, it would be useful to agree
the minimum number of board members that need to be in place for it to
be considered quorate, and a described process to be followed if the
number falls below that limit (eg the board is required to call an
immediate election and suspend all its activities until the election
is completed - of course in this case the election would have to be
turned around in less than a month, in case bills were coming due...).

re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

ccrraaiigg

> While these matters are being considered, it would be useful to agree
> the minimum number of board members that need to be in place for it to
> be considered quorate, and a described process to be followed if the
> number falls below that limit...

     So far we've required unanimity for such decisions, and it's worked
so far. We can revisit this.

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
www.netjam.org

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

stephane ducasse
This could be a good policy.
I think that this is important to get one.

On 8 mars 07, at 23:34, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> I would really like to see if we can get more people voting in the
>> future.
>> If you have ideas or suggestions I would be interested.
> First we need to engage our sibling communities. My call for
> representatives went unanswered, and probably for good cause. To
> gain access to them, we need to create and use some common
> communication channels (blogs?). To gain their interest, the Board
> should be doing things that matter to those communities, then they
> will want to vote to affect how things go. Getting an SqP account
> is not so great a barrier, if they are interested enough.
>
> The other thing I think would help (the quality of votes,
> certainly, and maybe their number) is a livelier debate on the
> issues between the candidates. While the voters have an interest in
> asking questions, and the elections team wants to see a nice
> discussion, the people that have the most to gain from it are the
> candidates. This is an opportunity for a candidate to:
> - Convince voters your opinions make sense, therefore they should
> vote for you.
> - Get to know your future board members, and their stance on the
> subjects you'll be trying to work on.
> - Clarify to yourself your own goals for this term, and commit
> publicly to some of them.

  I agree. But I was out of steam to argue debate....

> Nevertheless, there was not much back and forth. Some people think
> the Board is not a technical forum, while at least Bert thinks it
> should be, or at least one should exist. Discussion? none. Funding
> projects seems to be more more popular this year, to Stef's joy.
> But at the end of the elections, he still doesn't know whether it
> will happen. Why not?
>
> Daniel
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Daniel

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

stephane ducasse
sounds good.

On 9 mars 07, at 18:49, Doug Way wrote:

> In the case of a resigning board member, there are probably 3 options
> for how to proceed:
>
> 1. Select the next-highest vote getter from the previous election
> 2. Hold a special election to re-elect someone for that position
> 3. Don't refill the position, carry on with a smaller board
>
> For what it's worth, I'm a member of a different board, and our board
> has a fixed rule in place (as part of our by-laws) which is a
> combination of #1 and #3:  We select the next-highest vote getter, but
> if we're less than 3 months from the next election then we don't fill
> the position.  This rule has worked pretty well for us.  (This
> board is
> a low-tech, non-Internet-based board which has been around for 50
> years,
> but the principles remain the same.)
>
> More specifically, if the next-highest vote getter is not willing to
> serve, we proceed to the next-highest vote getter after that.  (This
> actually happened last year with our board, the next-highest person
> declined to serve, but the person after that was willing.)  As far as
> treating "Nobody" as a bottom limit, that's not a bad idea, although
> that ties your by-laws to the more specific CIVS voting process, but
> that may be OK.
>
> Personally, I think #2 (holding a special election) is probably too
> much
> overhead for a volunteer board, and not worth the effort.
>
> Typically, it's the job of the board to amend its own by-laws, so I'd
> imagine the board would discuss and vote on this internally, rather
> than
> having the elections team make a decision.
>
> - Doug

when is the first board meeting?
We should schedule it in advance so that I can attend it without
family shouting and be mad at me.

Stef
On 9 mars 07, at 21:02, Craig Latta wrote:

>> While these matters are being considered, it would be useful to agree
>> the minimum number of board members that need to be in place for
>> it to
>> be considered quorate, and a described process to be followed if the
>> number falls below that limit...
>
>      So far we've required unanimity for such decisions, and it's
> worked
> so far. We can revisit this.
>

>      thanks,
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> improvisational musical informaticist
> www.netjam.org
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]

Re: Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

ccrraaiigg

Hi Stef--

> when is the first board meeting?

     The board meets on first and third Wednesdays; the next meeting is
on 21 March.

     thanks,

-C