Squeak HTTPClient not working with FireFox

Squeak HTTPClient not working with FireFox

Rudolf Coetsee

Hi

I am using the HTTPClient class to make HTTP requests from within a Squeaklet. This works fine with IE and FireFox, but when I try to download images in FireFox, the Squeaklet freezes. For example, the follwing would work in IE:

aResult := HTTPClient httpGet: 'http://localhost/Logo.gif'.
aResult := HTTPClient httpGet: 'http://localhost/HOME.HTML'.

But in Firefox the first statement will cause it to freeze on the "sema wait" statement in the "requestURLStream: ifError:" method of the StandardFileStream class. Both statements execute exactly the same code, but in the case of the GIF file, FireFox doesn't set the semaphore and consequently Squeak waits forever for FireFox to signal completion of the URL request.

I am using the following:

Squeak VM ver 3.7.1
IE ver. 6.0.2800.1106
FireFox ver. 1.0.7

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

Thanks

RUDOLF COETSEE

Re: Squeak HTTPClient not working with FireFox

Bert Freudenberg
Am 26.09.2006 um 12:09 schrieb Rudolf Coetsee:

> Hi
>
> I am using the HTTPClient class to make HTTP requests from within a
> Squeaklet. This works fine with IE and FireFox, but when I try to
> download images in FireFox, the Squeaklet freezes. For example, the
> follwing would work in IE:
>
> aResult := HTTPClient httpGet: 'http://localhost/Logo.gif'.
> aResult := HTTPClient httpGet: 'http://localhost/HOME.HTML'.
>
> But in Firefox the first statement will cause it to freeze on the
> "sema wait" statement in the "requestURLStream: ifError:" method of
> the StandardFileStream class. Both statements execute exactly the
> same code, but in the case of the GIF file, FireFox doesn't set the
> semaphore and consequently Squeak waits forever for FireFox to
> signal completion of the URL request.
>
> I am using the following:
>
> Squeak VM ver 3.7.1
> IE ver. 6.0.2800.1106
> FireFox ver. 1.0.7
>

> Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?
I remember having seen the same problem. We assume it's a browser
problem. We somehow worked around it, maybe by switching to PNG ... I
don't recall exactly. You could also tell the squeaklet to not use
the browser API, then it will fetch stuff directly via http.

- Bert -