Squeak Release Roadmap? (Was:Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Squeak Release Roadmap? (Was:Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Igor Stasenko
What about making a more formal approach concerning next release?
It would be very useful to have a roadmap, what features we want in
next release.
We can divide things/initiatives onto subprojects and place this on a
web page. This will serve good both for historical and organizational
reasons.
This will help community (and newcomers) to be certain in what
direction we are moving and what most of us want to see in next
release.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Squeak Release Roadmap? (Was:Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 3/20/08 1:29 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> What about making a more formal approach concerning next release?
It would be
> very useful to have a roadmap, what features we want in
next release.
We can
> divide things/initiatives onto subprojects and place this on a
web page. This
> will serve good both for historical and organizational
reasons.
This will help
> community (and newcomers) to be certain in what
direction we are moving and
> what most of us want to see in next
release.

+1 for me.

I resume my view, for all could send feedback and we could collect
somewhere.

3.10 was the first release with some "package out" from previous 3.9 in
automatic and predictable way.

For this take the learning of Pavel with his Kernel and MinimalMorphic and
mine from SqueakLight.

Of course the list of people doing shrinking is  bigger , as I put in my old
pages about SqueakLight http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3935

I wish going as close is possible towards MinimalMorphic, reshape current
Morphic (1.3 mb mcz) with my old "Ladrillos "
http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos.html

I have the new ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 class, as we have in the old days and
use again in 3dot10.

So this class documents all shrinking and reorganization I propose.

I see in this days some propose having Smalltalk current cleanUp using the
Ramon Leon script as start point.

Being off line , I put a cleanupPhaseFinal in ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11  with
some things I was discovering in the shrinking process.

So , I was ready for cut the following from 3.10
'Tests' 'SMLoader' 'SMBase' 'SUnit' 'SUnitGUI' 'ScriptLoader' 'Universes'
'Installer' 'XML-Parser' 'BookMorphandFriends' 'EToys-StarSqueak'
'MorphicExtras-Demo' 'MorphicExtras-Components' 'EToys'

Still some more polish needed and agree with Pavel if this was the best
reorg and take all methods changes needed from MinimalMorphic or do the
needed ajustments.

For Squeak3.10.gamma.7159.image
Smalltalk size  1947

For MinimalMorphic.19
Smalltalk size   1278

For "tentative" Squeak 3.11
Smalltalk size 1495

And we have Flaps and could load and unload projects.

So I think this was a good nine months target for polishing all and trying
DeltaStreams / Monticello2 as update mechanism

Edgar

Re: Squeak Release Roadmap? (Was:Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Igor Stasenko
Good, how we suppose to arrange this?
Add new wiki entry?
I would prefer a page at squeak.org , since
squeak release is our major product, so we need to keep information
about it up to date and easy to find.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] Squeak Release Roadmap? Invitation to Meeting #4 Release Team meeting 2)

Tapple Gao
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 06:17:13PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Good, how we suppose to arrange this?
> Add new wiki entry?
> I would prefer a page at squeak.org , since
> squeak release is our major product, so we need to keep information
> about it up to date and easy to find.

I have been recording what happens in our meetings at
http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes . I just started a
home-page for the release team with links to the current
releases and efforts to do that:
http://installer.pbwiki.org/SqueakReleaseTeam

By request of the board, a strictly MIT-based image is currently
top-priority, and, as a license change is a major change, a
cleanly-licensed image will be Squeak 4.0. I've summarized what
we have decided about what Squeak 4.0 will be.
http://installer.pbwiki.org/Squeak40

Next meeting's agenda is to define a roadmap and scope for
Squeak40. I look forward to what Edgar has to say, as he has a
lot of experience knowing what is required. Our next meeting
will be Monday, 24 March at 18:00 UTC by Edgar's request:
http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes004

So far, most of the discussion has been between myself, Craig,
and Pavel.

Re: Squeak Release Roadmap? (Was:Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Giovanni Corriga
Igor Stasenko ha scritto:
> What about making a more formal approach concerning next release?
> It would be very useful to have a roadmap, what features we want in
> next release.

Why not two lists of features, one for the next release and one for that
after the next.

> We can divide things/initiatives onto subprojects and place this on a
> web page. This will serve good both for historical and organizational
> reasons.
> This will help community (and newcomers) to be certain in what
> direction we are moving and what most of us want to see in next
> release.

What would help even better is having a time-boxed release cycle, so
that the community and the other stakeholder can know in advance _when_
the next release will happen (with some approximation, of course).

        Giovanni

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 04:41:28PM +0000, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> Igor Stasenko ha scritto:
>> What about making a more formal approach concerning next release?
>> It would be very useful to have a roadmap, what features we want in
>> next release.
>
> Why not two lists of features, one for the next release and one for that
> after the next.

We just havn't got around to discussing that yet.

>> We can divide things/initiatives onto subprojects and place this on a
>> web page. This will serve good both for historical and organizational
>> reasons.
>> This will help community (and newcomers) to be certain in what
>> direction we are moving and what most of us want to see in next
>> release.
>

> What would help even better is having a time-boxed release cycle, so that
> the community and the other stakeholder can know in advance _when_ the next
> release will happen (with some approximation, of course).

I'll try to do that. I think 4.0 could be ready in 2-3 months.

Matthew Fulmer ha scritto:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 04:41:28PM +0000, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
>> Igor Stasenko ha scritto:
>>> We can divide things/initiatives onto subprojects and place this on a
>>> web page. This will serve good both for historical and organizational
>>> reasons.
>>> This will help community (and newcomers) to be certain in what
>>> direction we are moving and what most of us want to see in next
>>> release.
>>
>> What would help even better is having a time-boxed release cycle, so that
>> the community and the other stakeholder can know in advance _when_ the next
>> release will happen (with some approximation, of course).
>
> I'll try to do that. I think 4.0 could be ready in 2-3 months.

Hmm, is that enough time for a proper alpha-beta-gamma cycle with
significant improvements to the image? Or are you suggesting that for
4.0 we simply move to an MIT-licensed Kernel Image, without further changes?

        Giovanni

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:08:17AM +0000, Giovanni Corriga wrote:

> Matthew Fulmer ha scritto:
>>>
>>> What would help even better is having a time-boxed release cycle, so that
>>> the community and the other stakeholder can know in advance _when_ the
>>> next release will happen (with some approximation, of course).
>> I'll try to do that. I think 4.0 could be ready in 2-3 months.
>
> Hmm, is that enough time for a proper alpha-beta-gamma cycle with
> significant improvements to the image? Or are you suggesting that for 4.0
> we simply move to an MIT-licensed Kernel Image, without further changes?

This topic has not yet been discussed, but my inclination is
just to get a relicense out as fast as possible, so that we can
join the conservancy and people like Randal can use squeak for
their business. This is a topic for the next meeting:
http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes004