Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Hi, there!

What is the current progress for the Squeak VM that runs on iOS?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

Stefan Marr-3
Hi Marcel:

On 25 Jul 2012, at 09:42, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> What is the current progress for the Squeak VM that runs on iOS?

Progress? No progress there, it just works ;)
I suppose Esteban is the 'official' maintainer. So, I guess the latest code is in the Pharo people's git repository: http://gitorious.org/cogvm

And if you hope for a CogVM on iOS, well, that will still take a bit.
Lars makes very good progress on the port to ARM, but it is still a lot of work.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

kilon
I am also very interested into this as well

What is the current progress for the Squeak VM that runs on iOS?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

Bert Freudenberg
On 25.07.2012, at 01:01, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi Marcel:
>
> On 25 Jul 2012, at 09:42, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>
>> What is the current progress for the Squeak VM that runs on iOS?
>
> Progress? No progress there, it just works ;)
> I suppose Esteban is the 'official' maintainer. So, I guess the latest code is in the Pharo people's git repository: http://gitorious.org/cogvm
>
> And if you hope for a CogVM on iOS, well, that will still take a bit.
> Lars makes very good progress on the port to ARM, but it is still a lot of work.

Apple's current guidelines disallow running runtime-generated code. So Cog is out. But Esteban recently got the Stack VM to compile which works fine, and John's interpreter works for a couple of years now.

You will have to compile a VM yourself, or have someone compile it specifically for your iOS device (unless it is jailbroken). Apple does allow apps written in Squeak into the store, but it will not allow a generic VM which can run anything.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

kilon
I dont think that is true because this exists in App store for quite some time now ---> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gambit-repl/id434534076?mt=8 . Unless Gambit is not runtime generated code.

Afaik the only thing  that is not allowed is for the user (the person using the app) to have access to the iOS API , of course the app itself can access the API.

Even if that is true , will it be hard to provide a compliant version to the app store ? I mean without CogVM.

On 25.07.2012, at 10:30, dimitris chloupis wrote:

I dont think that is true because this exists in App store for quite some time now ---> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gambit-repl/id434534076?mt=8 . Unless Gambit is not runtime generated code.

It's an interpreter for sure.

Afaik the only thing  that is not allowed is for the user (the person using the app) to have access to the iOS API , of course the app itself can access the API.

Even if that is true , will it be hard to provide a compliant version to the app store ? I mean without CogVM.

As I wrote if you write a sealed app using Squeak there should be no problem getting it into the app store. John did that.

But if we wanted to get Squeak itself into the App Store we would have to cripple it. Apple does not allow easy sharing of code. E.g. there is a great Lua dev environment on the iPad called "Codea". But the developers had to take out all code sharing except for copy+paste: http://twolivesleft.com/news/codea-and-code-sharing/

My interpretation of what Apple wants is this: Prevent people being able to run just anything easily without Apple reviewing it. So a dev environment for personal hacking is fine, as long as you cannot easily install and run what other people made. Otherwise you would be able to just install a Squeak VM and use it to execute stuff from a "Squeak app store".

- Bert -

On 25.07.2012, at 01:01, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi Marcel:
>
> On 25 Jul 2012, at 09:42, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>
>> What is the current progress for the Squeak VM that runs on iOS?
>
> Progress? No progress there, it just works ;)
> I suppose Esteban is the 'official' maintainer. So, I guess the latest code is in the Pharo people's git repository: http://gitorious.org/cogvm
>
> And if you hope for a CogVM on iOS, well, that will still take a bit.
> Lars makes very good progress on the port to ARM, but it is still a lot of work.

Apple's current guidelines disallow running runtime-generated code. So Cog is out. But Esteban recently got the Stack VM to compile which works fine, and John's interpreter works for a couple of years now.

You will have to compile a VM yourself, or have someone compile it specifically for your iOS device (unless it is jailbroken). Apple does allow apps written in Squeak into the store, but it will not allow a generic VM which can run anything.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

kilon
ah ok I thought it also generated code on runtime. Yes thats true Gambit is crippled compared to the desktop version. Yeah I see now, it will be too much work for you guys.

Seems to me the best platform right now for iOS is Javascript. So maybe amber (http://amber-lang.net/) has better chance to bring smalltalk to iOS since Apple is okish with javascript. This way we can bypass App store all together.

On 25.07.2012, at 01:01, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi Marcel:
>
> On 25 Jul 2012, at 09:42, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>
>> What is the current progress for the Squeak VM that runs on iOS?
>
> Progress? No progress there, it just works ;)
> I suppose Esteban is the 'official' maintainer. So, I guess the latest code is in the Pharo people's git repository: http://gitorious.org/cogvm
>
> And if you hope for a CogVM on iOS, well, that will still take a bit.
> Lars makes very good progress on the port to ARM, but it is still a lot of work.

Apple's current guidelines disallow running runtime-generated code. So Cog is out. But Esteban recently got the Stack VM to compile which works fine, and John's interpreter works for a couple of years now.

You will have to compile a VM yourself, or have someone compile it specifically for your iOS device (unless it is jailbroken). Apple does allow apps written in Squeak into the store, but it will not allow a generic VM which can run anything.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak VM for iPad --- Current progress?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Marcel:

On 25 Jul 2012, at 09:42, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> What is the current progress for the Squeak VM that runs on iOS?

Progress? No progress there, it just works ;)
I suppose Esteban is the 'official' maintainer. So, I guess the latest code is in the Pharo people's git repository: http://gitorious.org/cogvm

And if you hope for a CogVM on iOS, well, that will still take a bit.
Lars makes very good progress on the port to ARM, but it is still a lot of work.

and I think, while it'll have benefit on Android etc, it won't help iPad because AFAIA one can't run jitted code on it (because they prevent one obtaining executable memory by restricting mmap).

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: <a href="tel:%2B32%202%20629%202974" value="+3226292974">+32 2 629 2974
Fax:   <a href="tel:%2B32%202%20629%203525" value="+3226293525">+32 2 629 3525

--
best,
Eliot