Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I was pointed to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb from
http://www.squeak.org/Downloads.

It installed successfully on Linux Mint Maya.

I downloaded as well the http://fulloo.info/Downloads/BabyIDE-3a.zip

How do I call the VM from the command line.

squeak --version
squeakvm --version

does not work.

thank you for the answer in advance

Hannes

Re: Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

Chris Cunnington-4
Please try this:

cogvm --version

It all made sense to Ken. And I don’t suppose he figured this would be for general use. And I guess I’d gotten used to it, as I’ve installed it on three systems.
I’ll change the script from “cogvm" to “squeak”, which is what people would reasonably expect.
It’s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I’ll make a new one.

Chris

> On Sep 5, 2014, at 5:57 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I was pointed to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb from
> http://www.squeak.org/Downloads.
>
> It installed successfully on Linux Mint Maya.
>
> I downloaded as well the http://fulloo.info/Downloads/BabyIDE-3a.zip
>
> How do I call the VM from the command line.
>
> squeak --version
> squeakvm --version
>
> does not work.
>
> thank you for the answer in advance
>
> Hannes

Re: Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

Bert Freudenberg
On 05.09.2014, at 12:17, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please try this:
>
> cogvm --version
>
> It all made sense to Ken. And I don’t suppose he figured this would be for general use.

It wasn't, and we probably should not distribute it. It was just to keep the server maintenance sane.

Besides, it only works on Debian-derivatives. Redhat derivatives (Fedora, SuSE, etc) use rpm.

> And I guess I’d gotten used to it, as I’ve installed it on three systems.
> I’ll change the script from “cogvm" to “squeak”, which is what people would reasonably expect.
> It’s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I’ll make a new one.

Indeed. It should be "squeak". However, that "squeak" script should pick the interpreter or cog depending on the image.

In fact, Linux users shouldn't even need a separate VM download, but simply use their package manager to download the VM compiled by their distro. Providing competing packages is working against the distros, rather than with them. There is a clear separation of responsibilities: developers provide source code, distro maintainers provide binaries.

The VMs currently in the distros should work fine even with a 4.5 image, right?

        https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/squeak-vm.html
        https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/squeak-vm

This should be the primary method of getting a Squeak VM on Linux. We just tell the folks to install the "squeak-vm" package from their distro.

*Additionally* we can provide pointers to alternative VMs, and Cog should be on top of the list (advertised as a high-performance VM), but I see no value (though some harm) in repackaging these. I'd make a link to Eliot's directory and advise folks to get the latest. And a pointer to squeakvm.org for all the other VMs.

How does that sound?

- Bert -

PS: We are also working on getting Cog into the distro's Squeak VM packages, which takes time. But eventually this will play out and is the better long-term strategy.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 06:17:32AM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Please try this:
>
> cogvm --version
>
> It all made sense to Ken. And I don???t suppose he figured this would be for general use. And I guess I???d gotten used to it, as I???ve installed it on three systems.
> I???ll change the script from ???cogvm" to ???squeak???, which is what people would reasonably expect.
> It???s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I???ll make a new one.
>
> Chris

Hang on a second. You're making an "official" distribution that differs from
what Eliot is distributing, which in turn conflicts with the unix VM on
squeakvm.org. I happen to think that using the name "cogvm" to distinguish
it from the original "squeak" name (which is already in use for a different
flavor of the VM) is a really good idea. But please check to see if Eliot
agrees with what you are doing.

To be clear -- I support the idea of giving Eliot's cogvm launch script a
different name to distiguish it from Ian's original. But let's make sure
people agree with this (especially Eliot in this case) before changing the
conventions.

Thanks,
Dave

On Sep 5, 2014, at 7:40 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'd make a link to Eliot's directory and advise folks to get the latest. And a pointer to squeakvm.org for all the other VMs.

Great. I’ll do that.

Chris

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 01:40:41PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 05.09.2014, at 12:17, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Please try this:
> >
> > cogvm --version
> >
> > It all made sense to Ken. And I don?t suppose he figured this would be for general use.
>
> It wasn't, and we probably should not distribute it. It was just to keep the server maintenance sane.
>
> Besides, it only works on Debian-derivatives. Redhat derivatives (Fedora, SuSE, etc) use rpm.
>
> > And I guess I?d gotten used to it, as I?ve installed it on three systems.
> > I?ll change the script from ?cogvm" to ?squeak?, which is what people would reasonably expect.
> > It?s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I?ll make a new one.
>
> Indeed. It should be "squeak". However, that "squeak" script should pick the interpreter or cog depending on the image.

A technical note - Ian's squeak start script contains all the hooks to do this,
but it the near term it is not a practical solution, in part because 64-bit
plugins cannot be shared with a 32-bit executable in the installation.

The reality is that cogvm and squeakvm are different, and they should not
stomp on each other's name spaces. So I personally think that using the name
"cogvm" is a reasonable solution to the current name space conflict.

But regardless of my opinion, a change like that should not be distributed
through squeak.org unless the interested parties agree.

At a minimum, Eliot should agree in this case, and it would also be nice if we
all can agree on a name convention that works around the current name conflict.

Dave

Re: Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

Hannes Hirzel
I went back to the Squeak VM which is offered through the software
installation center.

The command
    squeak
is available.

Interestingly the option
    squeak --version
    squeak  -version
    squeak -v
is not implemented. I assume the VM is pretty old.

--Hannes

On 9/5/14, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 01:40:41PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On 05.09.2014, at 12:17, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Please try this:
>> >
>> > cogvm --version
>> >
>> > It all made sense to Ken. And I don?t suppose he figured this would be
>> > for general use.
>>
>> It wasn't, and we probably should not distribute it. It was just to keep
>> the server maintenance sane.
>>
>> Besides, it only works on Debian-derivatives. Redhat derivatives (Fedora,
>> SuSE, etc) use rpm.
>>
>> > And I guess I?d gotten used to it, as I?ve installed it on three
>> > systems.
>> > I?ll change the script from ?cogvm" to ?squeak?, which is what people
>> > would reasonably expect.
>> > It?s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I?ll make a new one.
>>
>> Indeed. It should be "squeak". However, that "squeak" script should pick
>> the interpreter or cog depending on the image.
>>

> A technical note - Ian's squeak start script contains all the hooks to do
> this,
> but it the near term it is not a practical solution, in part because 64-bit
> plugins cannot be shared with a 32-bit executable in the installation.
>
> The reality is that cogvm and squeakvm are different, and they should not
> stomp on each other's name spaces. So I personally think that using the
> name
> "cogvm" is a reasonable solution to the current name space conflict.
>
> But regardless of my opinion, a change like that should not be distributed
> through squeak.org unless the interested parties agree.
>
> At a minimum, Eliot should agree in this case, and it would also be nice if
> we
> all can agree on a name convention that works around the current name
> conflict.
>
> Dave

re: Squeak VM on (Linux)

ccrraaiigg

     Bert writes:

> ...that "squeak" script should pick the interpreter or cog depending
> on the image.
>
> In fact, Linux users shouldn't even need a separate VM download, but
> simply use their package manager to download the VM compiled by their
> distro. Providing competing packages is working against the distros,
> rather than with them. There is a clear separation of
> responsibilities: developers provide source code, distro maintainers
> provide binaries... We just tell the folks to install the "squeak-vm"
> package from their distro.
>
> *Additionally* we can provide pointers to alternative VMs, and Cog
> should be on top of the list (advertised as a high-performance VM),
> but I see no value (though some harm) in repackaging these. I'd make
> a link to Eliot's directory and advise folks to get the latest. And a
> pointer to squeakvm.org for all the other VMs... We are also working
> on getting Cog into the distro's Squeak VM packages, which takes
> time. But eventually this will play out and is the better long-term
> strategy.
>
> ...How does that sound?

     Seems exactly right to me.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 04:44:48AM +0000, H. Hirzel wrote:

> I went back to the Squeak VM which is offered through the software
> installation center.
>
> The command
>     squeak
> is available.
>
> Interestingly the option
>     squeak --version
>     squeak  -version
>     squeak -v
> is not implemented. I assume the VM is pretty old.

I tried downloading a VM from Ubuntu, which I assume is the same thing.
It was old and did not work properly, at least not on my 64 bit platform.

This is clearly not an acceptable state of affairs, and Bert has been
trying to motivate me and others to do something about it.

Dave

> --Hannes
>
> On 9/5/14, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> It wasn't, and we probably should not distribute it. It was just to keep
> >> the server maintenance sane.
> >>
> >> Besides, it only works on Debian-derivatives. Redhat derivatives (Fedora,
> >> SuSE, etc) use rpm.

> >> Indeed. It should be "squeak". However, that "squeak" script should pick
> >> the interpreter or cog depending on the image.
> >>

> > A technical note - Ian's squeak start script contains all the hooks to do
> > this,
> > but it the near term it is not a practical solution, in part because 64-bit
> > plugins cannot be shared with a 32-bit executable in the installation.
> >
> > The reality is that cogvm and squeakvm are different, and they should not
> > stomp on each other's name spaces. So I personally think that using the
> > name
> > "cogvm" is a reasonable solution to the current name space conflict.
> >
> > But regardless of my opinion, a change like that should not be distributed
> > through squeak.org unless the interested parties agree.
> >
> > At a minimum, Eliot should agree in this case, and it would also be nice if
> > we
> > all can agree on a name convention that works around the current name
> > conflict.
> >
> > Dave

re: Squeak VM on (Linux)

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 12:20:23PM +0200, Craig Latta wrote:

>      Bert writes:
>
> > ...that "squeak" script should pick the interpreter or cog depending
> > on the image.
> >
> > In fact, Linux users shouldn't even need a separate VM download, but
> > simply use their package manager to download the VM compiled by their
> > distro. Providing competing packages is working against the distros,
> > rather than with them. There is a clear separation of
> > responsibilities: developers provide source code, distro maintainers
> > provide binaries... We just tell the folks to install the "squeak-vm"
> > package from their distro.
> >
> > *Additionally* we can provide pointers to alternative VMs, and Cog
> > should be on top of the list (advertised as a high-performance VM),
> > but I see no value (though some harm) in repackaging these. I'd make
> > a link to Eliot's directory and advise folks to get the latest. And a
> > pointer to squeakvm.org for all the other VMs... We are also working
> > on getting Cog into the distro's Squeak VM packages, which takes
> > time. But eventually this will play out and is the better long-term
> > strategy.
> >
> > ...How does that sound?
>
>      Seems exactly right to me.

+1

Sounds absolutely right to me as well, with the small caveat that we don't
yet have an agreed way to make the "squeak" script work. But that is just
a problem that we need to solve, not a reason for not doing it. What Bert
describes is exactly right.

Dave