Squeak Win32 VM update (3.11.8)

Torsten Bergmann

I know your time is limited but

1. You forgot to change the value of "ProductVersion" in Squeak.rc.
   It is still 3.11.4, so if one right clicks the exe on windows
   its still showing the old version.

2. Did you find the time to look at the service registration? You
   asked for a documentation and I found something in MSDN.
   As I wrote in [1] maybe the CreateService API is able to solve
   the problem...

3. The "build" directory in trunk still does not contain the
   *.rc files - so the documentation is still invalid when
   one tries to follow the instructions from squeakvm.org
   which says it works out of the box just by copying this directory
   (see [2] for my last question to you on this)

4. Why a 3.11.8 and not 3.11.6 ?

Sorry for bugging you - but we should make it easy to build
the VM also on windows (especially after these two new posts [3]/[4]
about building the VM on Linux and OSX).

Thanks and bye
T.

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-November/003358.html
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-February/003940.html
[3] http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-i-build-squeak-vm-on-archlinux.html
[4] http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog?article=building-a-pharo-squeak-vm-from-first-principles

jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Re: Squeak Win32 VM update (3.11.8)

Andreas.Raab

On 3/11/2010 2:21 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> I know your time is limited but
>
> 1. You forgot to change the value of "ProductVersion" in Squeak.rc.
>     It is still 3.11.4, so if one right clicks the exe on windows
>     its still showing the old version.

Good point. I moved the version definition out of the header and into
Makefile.common which should help changing the product version in rc
file, too. Extra manual steps get easily forgotten :-)

> 2. Did you find the time to look at the service registration? You
>     asked for a documentation and I found something in MSDN.
>     As I wrote in [1] maybe the CreateService API is able to solve
>     the problem...

I did not. I don't consider this to be a critical problem though since
the number of users of this feature is so small. I might even drop it
altogether given that there are alternative approaches that work every
bit as well.

> 3. The "build" directory in trunk still does not contain the
>     *.rc files - so the documentation is still invalid when
>     one tries to follow the instructions from squeakvm.org
>     which says it works out of the box just by copying this directory
>     (see [2] for my last question to you on this)

Just fixed that.

> 4. Why a 3.11.8 and not 3.11.6 ?

I canned 3.11.6 and 3.11.7. Version numbers are cheap, I have an
infinite supply source :-)

> Sorry for bugging you - but we should make it easy to build
> the VM also on windows (especially after these two new posts [3]/[4]
> about building the VM on Linux and OSX).

That is why my recommended approach to building VMs is a file release.
In fact ... I might take out the non-file release instructions. It's not
really worth having to update them for every minor change in the build
structure and things do change often enough to void the instructions
every couple of months. Contrary to which the instructions for a file
release haven't changed in ages. Download, make, go.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Squeak Win32 VM update (3.11.8)

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 3/11/2010 2:21 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>> I know your time is limited but
>>
>> 1. You forgot to change the value of "ProductVersion" in Squeak.rc.
>>     It is still 3.11.4, so if one right clicks the exe on windows
>>     its still showing the old version.
>
> Good point. I moved the version definition out of the header and into
> Makefile.common which should help changing the product version in rc file,
> too. Extra manual steps get easily forgotten :-)
>
>> 2. Did you find the time to look at the service registration? You
>>     asked for a documentation and I found something in MSDN.
>>     As I wrote in [1] maybe the CreateService API is able to solve
>>     the problem...
>
> I did not. I don't consider this to be a critical problem though since the
> number of users of this feature is so small. I might even drop it altogether
> given that there are alternative approaches that work every bit as well.
>
>> 3. The "build" directory in trunk still does not contain the
>>     *.rc files - so the documentation is still invalid when
>>     one tries to follow the instructions from squeakvm.org
>>     which says it works out of the box just by copying this directory
>>     (see [2] for my last question to you on this)
>
> Just fixed that.
>
>> 4. Why a 3.11.8 and not 3.11.6 ?
>
> I canned 3.11.6 and 3.11.7. Version numbers are cheap, I have an infinite
> supply source :-)
>
>> Sorry for bugging you - but we should make it easy to build
>> the VM also on windows (especially after these two new posts [3]/[4]
>> about building the VM on Linux and OSX).
>
> That is why my recommended approach to building VMs is a file release. In
> fact ... I might take out the non-file release instructions. It's not really
> worth having to update them for every minor change in the build structure and
> things do change often enough to void the instructions every couple of
> months. Contrary to which the instructions for a file release haven't changed
> in ages. Download, make, go.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

If you're still in "VM building mood" please consider adding this file to
the vm trunk:
http://bugs.squeak.org/file_download.php?file_id=3831&type=bug
The corresponding bug report is here:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7410