Squeak and Pocket PC questions

Petr Fischer-3
Hi,

I have some questions about the use of Squeak on Pocket PC (Windows
Mobile 5 [WM5]).

1) how to detect "tap and hold" event?
2) how to disable fullscreen display mode? (is it possible? is it
possible to show squeak GUI form on screen with WM5 taskbar and
start-menu visible?)
3) how to show standard WM5 keyboard on screen if squeak appliaction is
running?
4) will be Squeak 3.9 image for Pocket PC available in the future?

I am using/testing SqueakVM-alpha6-030206-PPC-ARM.zip and Squeak 3.2
base image (or 3.7 base image) on Windows Mobile 5.

Thanks, pf

Re: Squeak and Pocket PC questions

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Hello, Petr,

> I have some questions about the use of Squeak on Pocket PC (Windows
> Mobile 5 [WM5]).

  I don't have any experience with WM5, but...

> 1) how to detect "tap and hold" event?

  If I remember correctly, it is reported as a "blue button"
click. (But since you're asking this, I may be wrong.)  What should
it do?

> 2) how to disable fullscreen display mode? (is it possible? is it
> possible to show squeak GUI form on screen with WM5 taskbar and
> start-menu visible?)

  It should have been possible, if the image is not configured to
start up in full-screen mode.  (But again, it may not be the case on
WM5).  Try 'full screen on' and 'full screen off' in the 'help...'
menu and see what happens.

> 3) how to show standard WM5 keyboard on screen if squeak appliaction is
> running?

  Same as above.

> 4) will be Squeak 3.9 image for Pocket PC available in the future?

  Did you try?  It may work just fine.

-- Yoshiki

Yoshiki Ohshima píše v Út 15. 08. 2006 v 00:20 -0400:

>   Hello, Petr,
>
> > I have some questions about the use of Squeak on Pocket PC (Windows
> > Mobile 5 [WM5]).
>
>   I don't have any experience with WM5, but...
>
> > 1) how to detect "tap and hold" event?
>
>   If I remember correctly, it is reported as a "blue button"
> click. (But since you're asking this, I may be wrong.)  What should
> it do?

Nothing happens after "tap and hold".

> > 2) how to disable fullscreen display mode? (is it possible? is it
> > possible to show squeak GUI form on screen with WM5 taskbar and
> > start-menu visible?)
>
>   It should have been possible, if the image is not configured to
> start up in full-screen mode.  (But again, it may not be the case on
> WM5).  Try 'full screen on' and 'full screen off' in the 'help...'
> menu and see what happens.

Tested on squeak 3.2 and 3.7 - "full screen off" hasn't any efect on
Pocket PC.

> > 3) how to show standard WM5 keyboard on screen if squeak appliaction is
> > running?
>
>   Same as above.
>
> 4) will be Squeak 3.9 image for Pocket PC available in the future?
>
>  Did you try?  It may work just fine.

Squeak 3.9 dev image is too big for Pocket PC VM (I guess).

pf

Re: Squeak and Pocket PC questions

stéphane ducasse-2
Did you try?
Since the latest version is in total smaller than 3.7

stéphane ducasse píše v Út 15. 08. 2006 v 20:40 +0200:
> Did you try?
> Since the latest version is in total smaller than 3.7

Of course!
Max main memory size on squeak "start page" is 12MB. 3.9 dev image size
is 15MB.

Maybe in future with squeak 3.9 basic image...

pf

> On 15 août 06, at 18:08, Petr Fischer wrote:
>

> > Squeak 3.9 dev image is too big for Pocket PC VM (I guess).

Re: Squeak and Pocket PC questions

stéphane ducasse-2
Certainly, Pavel got really good results so far.

Stef