Squeak/eToys manual?

12

Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw-2
Hi all,

As a newcomer to Squeak/eToys I've been searching for info on helping
my 9-11 year olds write 'Tamagotchi' style simulations, since I've
been unable to find a straight-forward manual. There's lots of
'Getting started' materials, but nothing on getting to the next level.

I signed up this 'Newbies' list but, to be honest, does parsing XMLs
using the SAX or DOM models really fit into that category?

Can someone point me to resources for real (3-4 weeks experience) newbies?

John.

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 09:56:37AM +0100, John Kershaw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a newcomer to Squeak/eToys I've been searching for info on helping
> my 9-11 year olds write 'Tamagotchi' style simulations, since I've
> been unable to find a straight-forward manual. There's lots of
> 'Getting started' materials, but nothing on getting to the next level.
>
> I signed up this 'Newbies' list but, to be honest, does parsing XMLs
> using the SAX or DOM models really fit into that category?
>
> Can someone point me to resources for real (3-4 weeks experience) newbies?

John,

You can sign up for the general-purpose Squeak developers' list here:

This list covers a wide range of technical topics, so it sometimes may
seem intimidating if you are just getting started. However, newbie
questions of all kinds are welcome, and a question like yours would
certainly get some answers.

Dave

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

Stephane Schitter
David T. Lewis a écrit :

> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 09:56:37AM +0100, John Kershaw wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As a newcomer to Squeak/eToys I've been searching for info on helping
>> my 9-11 year olds write 'Tamagotchi' style simulations, since I've
>> been unable to find a straight-forward manual. There's lots of
>> 'Getting started' materials, but nothing on getting to the next level.
>>
>> I signed up this 'Newbies' list but, to be honest, does parsing XMLs
>> using the SAX or DOM models really fit into that category?
>>
>> Can someone point me to resources for real (3-4 weeks experience) newbies?
>>

> John,
>
> You can sign up for the general-purpose Squeak developers' list here:

> This list covers a wide range of technical topics, so it sometimes may
> seem intimidating if you are just getting started. However, newbie
> questions of all kinds are welcome, and a question like yours would
> certainly get some answers.
>
> Dave

Dave,

Being a starter myself as well, and finding it difficult to move from
the initial easy steps to a slightly more advanced use of squeak, I tend
to agree with John. Shouldn't it be the other way around, where some
discussions taking place on the newbie mailing-list should be moved to
the squeak-dev one ?

Regards,
Stephane

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 03:09:21PM +0200, Stephane Schitter wrote:

> Being a starter myself as well, and finding it difficult to move from
> the initial easy steps to a slightly more advanced use of squeak, I tend
> to agree with John. Shouldn't it be the other way around, where some
> discussions taking place on the newbie mailing-list should be moved to
> the squeak-dev one ?

Yes I agree, that is the way it should be.

Dave

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw-2
So... if we're agreed that this really is the newbies list, *can*
someone point me to some info that's the next step on from the
four-page 'Getting started' PDF?

John.

On 01/07/06, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 03:09:21PM +0200, Stephane Schitter wrote:
> >
> > Being a starter myself as well, and finding it difficult to move from
> > the initial easy steps to a slightly more advanced use of squeak, I tend
> > to agree with John. Shouldn't it be the other way around, where some
> > discussions taking place on the newbie mailing-list should be moved to
> > the squeak-dev one ?
>
> Yes I agree, that is the way it should be.
>
> Dave

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi john

tell us more where you are and what you want to achieve and we will
help you.
Have you got a look at the videos I did?

http://www.listic.univ-savoie.fr/~ducasse/Ressources/

Stef

On 1 juil. 06, at 20:45, John Kershaw wrote:

> So... if we're agreed that this really is the newbies list, *can*
> someone point me to some info that's the next step on from the
> four-page 'Getting started' PDF?
>
> John.
>
> On 01/07/06, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 03:09:21PM +0200, Stephane Schitter wrote:
>> >
>> > Being a starter myself as well, and finding it difficult to move
>> from
>> > the initial easy steps to a slightly more advanced use of
>> squeak, I tend
>> > to agree with John. Shouldn't it be the other way around, where
>> some
>> > discussions taking place on the newbie mailing-list should be
>> moved to
>> > the squeak-dev one ?
>>
>> Yes I agree, that is the way it should be.
>>
>> Dave

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

mario henrique
On 7/1/06, John Kershaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

As a newcomer to Squeak/eToys I've been searching for info on helping
my 9-11 year olds write 'Tamagotchi' style simulations, since I've
been unable to find a straight-forward manual. There's lots of
'Getting started' materials, but nothing on getting to the next level.

I signed up this 'Newbies' list but, to be honest, does parsing XMLs
using the SAX or DOM models really fit into that category?

Can someone point me to resources for real (3-4 weeks experience) newbies?

John.

Hi all,

There is a very good book about squeak called
Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130280283/104-2424370-4960739?v=glance&n=283155

And here you have this book website.
http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/

Mario h.c.t.

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw-2
On 02/07/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi john
>
> tell us more where you are and what you want to achieve and we will
> help you.

Okay, here are a couple of things I'd like to do tomorrow:

Our 'pets' currently have 1 variable, thirst, which increases once per
second, and turns the animal 90 degrees when it reaches maximum. I can
key the heading to the thirst divided by a factor, and/or use other
geometric stuff to reflect variables, but I'd be interested in
demonstrating different ways to show the affect of increasing thirst
(and other variables - hunger, illness, happiness?): changing colour
(going green), changing 'frame' to show another version of the
creature (which I think uses 'holder' somehow, but haven't been able
to figure out quite how).

We're doing an 'Arts Week' based on a woodland theme every afternoon
this week, and my slot is tomorrow. I'd like to use Squeak to 'grow'
forests and flowers from 'seeds', using different 'faces' onto the
same object. How would I tackle that? How could I introduce a random
element into the growth rate (shape?) so that all the trees look
slightly different? Species too?

John.

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

Markus Gälli-3
Hi John,

> On 02/07/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi john
>>
>> tell us more where you are and what you want to achieve and we will
>> help you.
>
> Okay, here are a couple of things I'd like to do tomorrow:
>
> Our 'pets' currently have 1 variable, thirst, which increases once per
> second, and turns the animal 90 degrees when it reaches maximum. I can
> key the heading to the thirst divided by a factor, and/or use other
> geometric stuff to reflect variables, but I'd be interested in
> demonstrating different ways to show the affect of increasing thirst
> (and other variables - hunger, illness, happiness?): changing colour
> (going green), changing 'frame' to show another version of the
> creature (which I think uses 'holder' somehow, but haven't been able
> to figure out quite how).

Have a look at animations eg.
http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_authoring.pdf

Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change the
color respectively let it look like the according color of the shape
at the index of that other holder.
(Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.

Meta hint: Post this kind of etoys questions _also_ to the squeakland
mailing list.

> We're doing an 'Arts Week' based on a woodland theme every afternoon
> this week, and my slot is tomorrow. I'd like to use Squeak to 'grow'
> forests and flowers from 'seeds', using different 'faces' onto the
> same object. How would I tackle that?

Guess the answer is: use the animations idiom again.

> How could I introduce a random
> element into the growth rate (shape?) so that all the trees look
> slightly different? Species too?

Don't understand exactly, but you can get a random tile by pressing
on the label of the object in any script.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Markus

> John.

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

Markus Gälli-3

On Jul 6, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Markus Gaelli wrote:

> Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change
> the color respectively let it look like the according color of the
> shape at the index of that other holder.
> (Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
> that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.

Should have been:

Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change the
color respectively let it look like **** the according shape *** at
the index (=cursor) of that other holder.
(Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.

Cheers,

Markus

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

stéphane ducasse-2
May be you should post to the squeakland mailing-list.
It seems that people can help you there.

Stef

On 6 juil. 06, at 14:30, John Kershaw wrote:

> On 02/07/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi john
>>
>> tell us more where you are and what you want to achieve and we will
>> help you.
>
> Okay, here are a couple of things I'd like to do tomorrow:
>
> Our 'pets' currently have 1 variable, thirst, which increases once per
> second, and turns the animal 90 degrees when it reaches maximum. I can
> key the heading to the thirst divided by a factor, and/or use other
> geometric stuff to reflect variables, but I'd be interested in
> demonstrating different ways to show the affect of increasing thirst
> (and other variables - hunger, illness, happiness?): changing colour
> (going green), changing 'frame' to show another version of the
> creature (which I think uses 'holder' somehow, but haven't been able
> to figure out quite how).
>
> We're doing an 'Arts Week' based on a woodland theme every afternoon
> this week, and my slot is tomorrow. I'd like to use Squeak to 'grow'
> forests and flowers from 'seeds', using different 'faces' onto the
> same object. How would I tackle that? How could I introduce a random
> element into the growth rate (shape?) so that all the trees look
> slightly different? Species too?
>
> John.

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw-2
Okay, I'm getting somewhere now! I found the 'Holder' object in the
Supplies tab, and have got animation working, so our rabbits can now
look happy, sad or indifferent. The kids are currently learning the
basics of algebra in maths, so I'm going to have them make a pet shop
using their animal and lots of variable manipulation (but not mention
algebra).

So far I've got two objects, shop & pet:

Shop has variables for:
| money numPets petCost numFoodBags foodBagCost foodPerBag |

Pet has just:
| hunger |

I have scripts for buying food, feeding a pet, buying a pet, each one
checking there's enough money/food/pets before firing, if not sound an
alert. I'm working on having pets grow up after a minute or so and
become sellable, at a profit...

My immediate need is - how do I make the pet into a button that fires
the 'feedPet' script? I've got lots of 'button to fire this script'
buttons to run various actions, but I'd like to have new instances of
each pet appear when purchased, and have random variations of hunger
etc to keep the kids on their toes trying to balance income, food,
selling. The extension would be to have different pets (with different
costs/needs), different foods (affecting each animals hunger
differently) and maybe even extra variables (thirst, hunger,
happiness, etc). I got as far as getting the pet to fire an onMouseUp
event, but didn't know what to put in the dialog (and don't want the
kids touching code if possible - is there a tile way?)

Regards cc'ing posts to the Squeakland list, I thought this WAS the
Squeakland list - am I in the wrong place? Eek!

John.

On 06/07/06, Markus Gaelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Markus Gaelli wrote:
>
> > Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change
> > the color respectively let it look like the according color of the
> > shape at the index of that other holder.
> > (Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
> > that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.
>
> Should have been:
>
> Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change the
> color respectively let it look like **** the according shape *** at
> the index (=cursor) of that other holder.
> (Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
> that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Markus

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2006 July 6 17:37, John Kershaw wrote:
> Okay, I'm getting somewhere now! I found the 'Holder' object in the
<snip>
> Regards cc'ing posts to the Squeakland list, I thought this WAS the
> Squeakland list - am I in the wrong place? Eek!

John,

the squeakland list (which is closer to what you are doing) is:

[hidden email]

Milan

> John.
>
> On 06/07/06, Markus Gaelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Jul 6, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Markus Gaelli wrote:
> > > Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change
> > > the color respectively let it look like the according color of the
> > > shape at the index of that other holder.
> > > (Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
> > > that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.
> >
> > Should have been:
> >
> > Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change the
> > color respectively let it look like **** the according shape *** at
> > the index (=cursor) of that other holder.
> > (Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
> > that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Markus

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw
Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how to make an object act like a button?

John.

On 08/07/06, Milan Zimmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2006 July 6 17:37, John Kershaw wrote:
> > Okay, I'm getting somewhere now! I found the 'Holder' object in the
> <snip>
> > Regards cc'ing posts to the Squeakland list, I thought this WAS the
> > Squeakland list - am I in the wrong place? Eek!
>
> John,
>
> the squeakland list (which is closer to what you are doing) is:
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Milan
>

> > John.

> > > Should have been:
> > >
> > > Make a holder with all colors respectively shapes etc, and change the
> > > color respectively let it look like **** the according shape *** at
> > > the index (=cursor) of that other holder.
> > > (Hide that holder if necessary). Change the index of the cursor of
> > > that other holder according to the hunger/illness etc.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Markus

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw-2
Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how to make an object act like a button?

> On 08/07/06, Milan Zimmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > the squeakland list (which is closer to what you are doing) is:
> >
> > [hidden email]

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 08.07.2006 um 11:52 schrieb John Kershaw:

> Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how to make an object act like
> a button?

Make a script for your object and set the script's trigger to mouseDown.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw-2
I'm with you as far as 'script's trigger' - where do I find that? I can click the menu next to the script and drag out a 'button to fire this script' but nothing about mouseDown.

John.

On 08/07/06, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 08.07.2006 um 11:52 schrieb John Kershaw:

> Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how to make an object act like
> a button?

Make a script for your object and set the script's trigger to mouseDown.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

Bert Freudenberg-3
The script'ts trigger is set to "normal" initially (the menu button
right of the clock), meaning the script executes when it is
explicitly called from another script. But you can chage the trigger
by clicking that button and set it to ticking, mouseDown etc.

- Bert -

Am 08.07.2006 um 13:31 schrieb John Kershaw:

> I'm with you as far as 'script's trigger' - where do I find that? I
> can click the menu next to the script and drag out a 'button to
> fire this script' but nothing about mouseDown.
>
> John.
>
> On 08/07/06, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote: Am 08.07.2006
> um 11:52 schrieb John Kershaw:
>
> > Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how to make an object act like
> > a button?
>
> Make a script for your object and set the script's trigger to
> mouseDown.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

Milan Zimmermann-2
John,

Based on Bert's description I created a small "tutorial"

How to Make an Object (for example MyCurve) Act as Button?

0) Drag out a curve from Supplies, name it MyCurve
1) Show Viewer on MyCurve
2) In Viewer, go to scripts, drag out "emptyScript"
3) Pust some code in the script, e.g. drag out "basic->Make Sound Croak"
4) Click at the oval to the right of the "clock" on the script, select
"mouseUp"
5) Now when you click on MyCurve, it croaks

The above is one way. Another way is to click on MyCurve and show it's hallo,
and select from menu:

extras-->add mouseUp action and put a code there like:

self beep: 'coyote'

Milan

On 2006 July 8 11:37, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> The script'ts trigger is set to "normal" initially (the menu button
> right of the clock), meaning the script executes when it is
> explicitly called from another script. But you can chage the trigger
> by clicking that button and set it to ticking, mouseDown etc.
>
> - Bert -
>
> Am 08.07.2006 um 13:31 schrieb John Kershaw:
> > I'm with you as far as 'script's trigger' - where do I find that? I
> > can click the menu next to the script and drag out a 'button to
> > fire this script' but nothing about mouseDown.
> >
> > John.
> >
> > On 08/07/06, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote: Am 08.07.2006
> >
> > um 11:52 schrieb John Kershaw:
> > > Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how to make an object act like
> > > a button?
> >
> > Make a script for your object and set the script's trigger to
> > mouseDown.
> >
> > - Bert -

Re: Squeak/eToys manual?

John Kershaw-2
Oh. My. I CANNOT believe I missed that.

Sometimes things are just staring you in the face.

Thanks - and thanks for the step-by-step tutorial, otherwise I STILL might not've got it. Are there any other tutorials around at the approx level of the 'steer a car' tutorial on the Squeakland site? I'd love to work through a bunch of similar 'learn this feature' recipes.

John.

On 08/07/06, Milan Zimmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
John,

Based on Bert's description I created a small "tutorial"

How to Make an Object (for example MyCurve) Act as Button?

0) Drag out a curve from Supplies, name it MyCurve
1) Show Viewer on MyCurve
2) In Viewer, go to scripts, drag out "emptyScript"
3) Pust some code in the script, e.g. drag out "basic->Make Sound Croak"
4) Click at the oval to the right of the "clock" on the script, select
"mouseUp"
5) Now when you click on MyCurve, it croaks

The above is one way. Another way is to click on MyCurve and show it's hallo,
and select from menu:

extras-->add mouseUp action and put a code there like:

self beep: 'coyote'

Milan

On 2006 July 8 11:37, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> The script'ts trigger is set to "normal" initially (the menu button
> right of the clock), meaning the script executes when it is
> explicitly called from another script. But you can chage the trigger
> by clicking that button and set it to ticking, mouseDown etc.
>
> - Bert -
>
> Am 08.07.2006 um 13:31 schrieb John Kershaw:
> > I'm with you as far as 'script's trigger' - where do I find that? I
> > can click the menu next to the script and drag out a 'button to
> > fire this script' but nothing about mouseDown.
> >

> > John.
> >
> > On 08/07/06, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote: Am 08.07.2006
> >
> > um 11:52 schrieb John Kershaw:
> > > Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how to make an object act like
> > > a button?
> >
> > Make a script for your object and set the script's trigger to
> > mouseDown.
> >
> > - Bert -

12