Squeak for Email(Was Re: Why not set up a forum?)

Squeak for Email(Was Re: Why not set up a forum?)

Casey Ransberger
Which makes me wonder: does anyone here read the list from within a
squeak image?

Ron

Squeak for Email

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Ronald Spengler wrote:

> Which makes me wonder: does anyone here read the list from within a
> squeak image?

Me, from this 3.9 image. And pressing the "Custom F." button and
creating a "hasText: 'X-Mailer: Celeste'" filter shows that Göran was
also doing this until at least April 2008.

Of course, this makes it trivial to deal with commit messages. I just
point to one and press the "Part F." button to see nothing but commits.
I can quickly scan them and "move all" to my squeak-dev folder before
checking out the actual discussions without interruptions. Given that
not everyone has such nice options (including me when forced to use some
webmail interface once in a while), I think a daily digest is the best
compromise for now.

-- Jecel

Re: Squeak for Email

Nicolas Cellier
2009/10/23 Jecel Assumpcao Jr <[hidden email]>:

> Ronald Spengler wrote:
>
>> Which makes me wonder: does anyone here read the list from within a
>> squeak image?
>
> Me, from this 3.9 image. And pressing the "Custom F." button and
> creating a "hasText: 'X-Mailer: Celeste'" filter shows that Göran was
> also doing this until at least April 2008.
>
> Of course, this makes it trivial to deal with commit messages. I just
> point to one and press the "Part F." button to see nothing but commits.
> I can quickly scan them and "move all" to my squeak-dev folder before
> checking out the actual discussions without interruptions. Given that
> not everyone has such nice options (including me when forced to use some
> webmail interface once in a while), I think a daily digest is the best
> compromise for now.
>
> -- Jecel

Again, I think daily digest is the worst solution, who would read that ?
I won't.

Moving the discussion to another list is OK for core programmers, they
will subscribe.
But not only implementation details are discussed here, some features
that might have impact on daily programming also are.

A user who won't subscribe will loose :
- ability to control activity of core developpers,
- ability to participate actively on a specific new feature they want
or want not,
- ability to request maintaining compatibility on a deprecated feature.

That's one goal of trunk if I understood it : raise an interest in
participating in core development, be it by some code input, or by
negative feedback about some changes.
I think it is essential, unless everyone is satisfied with current
state of Squeak.

After all, I don't care, because fortunately there is also Pharo.
Better having two horses than one.
Pharo was the main reason for raising a trunk wasn't it ?

Nicolas

Re: Squeak for Email

Bert Freudenberg

On 23.10.2009, at 21:21, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2009/10/23 Jecel Assumpcao Jr <[hidden email]>:
>> Ronald Spengler wrote:
>>
>>> Which makes me wonder: does anyone here read the list from within a
>>> squeak image?
>>
>> Me, from this 3.9 image. And pressing the "Custom F." button and
>> creating a "hasText: 'X-Mailer: Celeste'" filter shows that Göran was
>> also doing this until at least April 2008.
>>
>> Of course, this makes it trivial to deal with commit messages. I just
>> point to one and press the "Part F." button to see nothing but
>> commits.
>> I can quickly scan them and "move all" to my squeak-dev folder before
>> checking out the actual discussions without interruptions. Given that
>> not everyone has such nice options (including me when forced to use
>> some
>> webmail interface once in a while), I think a daily digest is the
>> best
>> compromise for now.
>>
>> -- Jecel
>>

> Again, I think daily digest is the worst solution, who would read
> that ?
> I won't.
>
> Moving the discussion to another list is OK for core programmers, they
> will subscribe.
> But not only implementation details are discussed here, some features
> that might have impact on daily programming also are.
>
> A user who won't subscribe will loose :
> - ability to control activity of core developpers,
> - ability to participate actively on a specific new feature they want
> or want not,
> - ability to request maintaining compatibility on a deprecated
> feature.
>
> That's one goal of trunk if I understood it : raise an interest in
> participating in core development, be it by some code input, or by
> negative feedback about some changes.
> I think it is essential, unless everyone is satisfied with current
> state of Squeak.
>
> After all, I don't care, because fortunately there is also Pharo.
> Better having two horses than one.
> Pharo was the main reason for raising a trunk wasn't it ?
>
> Nicolas

Good points.

IMHO if commit notices were to be sent to a special commits list, then
no discussion should happen over there, but it would have its Reply-To
set to squeak-dev.

As I see it, the alternative to digests is creating a "users" list,
which would result in splitting the community as you describe above. I
think I hear most don't want that yet, so maybe we should try the
digests for a while?

- Bert -

Re: Squeak for Email

Jason Rogers-4
FWIW... I simply delete the commit messages, it's easy enough to
filter them straight to the trash, but I actually scan the subject
lines or preview lines in GMail, then delete them manually or select
the ones I want to read. It's not a hassle for me, and I am definitely
not a core developer.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20