Squeak general hangout?

timrowledge
In theory we have a general squeaker's hangout scheduled for tomorrow. Nobody's turned up in a while; maybe we can try to improve on that? Some discussion of text & font handling might be interesting with all the work that's been done recently.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac ut vivas. = Get a life.

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Frank Shearar-3
On 14 October 2013 02:09, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In theory we have a general squeaker's hangout scheduled for tomorrow. Nobody's turned up in a while; maybe we can try to improve on that? Some discussion of text & font handling might be interesting with all the work that's been done recently.

Mondays are always terrible for me because I front-load my work hours.
That, and if not that then either a board meeting or a user group
meeting :)

But having complained, I'll see what I can do, and perhaps join in my
evening (your morning).

frank

> tim

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Bob Arning-2
If you want this to work, two thoughts:
- say when you will be there so folks have a target
- say how to get there - Google redesigns its offerings frequently and I'm not sure I know how to locate the hangout reliably

Cheers,
Bob

On 14-10-2013, at 6:17 AM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you want this to work, two thoughts:
> - say when you will be there so folks have a target
> - say how to get there - Google redesigns its offerings frequently and I'm not sure I know how to locate the hangout reliably

Good points; though originally the idea was to have whoever was most-sunward start off and have a floating chat as the world turned.

I will try to be 'there' by about 11am my time (Pacific) - 7pm london time, 4am Brisbane time (it's already *tomorow* in Brisbane. What wonders does their future have to tell us?) Suggested topics include
text render/scanning changes
code commenting
why do lions?

The calendar says the URL should be

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/dTdpNWgyZnJpdGNiYjIwNGFoNzY5N25rcThAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.29arvovh0aj2jlkd8lqktpgtro

Good grief.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SDLI: Shift Disk Left Immediate

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-10-14, at 18:56, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14-10-2013, at 6:17 AM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you want this to work, two thoughts:
>> - say when you will be there so folks have a target
>> - say how to get there - Google redesigns its offerings frequently and I'm not sure I know how to locate the hangout reliably
>
> Good points; though originally the idea was to have whoever was most-sunward start off and have a floating chat as the world turned.
>
> I will try to be 'there' by about 11am my time (Pacific) - 7pm london time, 4am Brisbane time (it's already *tomorow* in Brisbane. What wonders does their future have to tell us?) Suggested topics include
> text render/scanning changes
> code commenting
> why do lions?
>
> The calendar says the URL should be
>
> https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/dTdpNWgyZnJpdGNiYjIwNGFoNzY5N25rcThAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.29arvovh0aj2jlkd8lqktpgtro

It is unlikely that anyone knows this URL associate with a private calendar. I don't think we ever used that.

We used to create a new event with public hangout for each time and invite everyone in the Squeak page's circles, plus whoever else might be interested, plus send a mail to various mailing lists. Without this explicit reminder people will just not remember ;)

- Bert -

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Francisco Garau-2

On 14 Oct 2013, at 18:11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
.
> We used to create a new event with public hangout for each time and invite everyone in the Squeak page's circles, plus whoever else might be interested, plus send a mail to various mailing lists. Without this explicit reminder people will just not remember ;)

Specially if no beers are involved... (it is amazing how alcohol can boost your memory)

Re: Squeak general hangout?

timrowledge

On 14-10-2013, at 10:11 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is unlikely that anyone knows this URL associate with a private calendar. I don't think we ever used that.
>
> We used to create a new event with public hangout for each time and invite everyone in the Squeak page's circles, plus whoever else might be interested, plus send a mail to various mailing lists. Without this explicit reminder people will just not remember ;)

Fair enough; surely you do't expect me to actually remember all that since last time we did it ? I have enough trouble remembering… wait, what ?

OK, so I'll try using the 'hangout party' button and see what happens.

tim
Useful random insult:- Kept an open mind -- and his brains fell out.

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Frank Shearar-3
On 14 October 2013 18:11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-10-14, at 18:56, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 14-10-2013, at 6:17 AM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If you want this to work, two thoughts:
>>> - say when you will be there so folks have a target
>>> - say how to get there - Google redesigns its offerings frequently and I'm not sure I know how to locate the hangout reliably
>>
>> Good points; though originally the idea was to have whoever was most-sunward start off and have a floating chat as the world turned.
>>
>> I will try to be 'there' by about 11am my time (Pacific) - 7pm london time, 4am Brisbane time (it's already *tomorow* in Brisbane. What wonders does their future have to tell us?) Suggested topics include
>> text render/scanning changes
>> code commenting
>> why do lions?
>>
>> The calendar says the URL should be
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/dTdpNWgyZnJpdGNiYjIwNGFoNzY5N25rcThAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.29arvovh0aj2jlkd8lqktpgtro
>

> It is unlikely that anyone knows this URL associate with a private calendar. I don't think we ever used that.

OK, well, that URL works, because I'm there, for what it's worth.

frank

> We used to create a new event with public hangout for each time and invite everyone in the Squeak page's circles, plus whoever else might be interested, plus send a mail to various mailing lists. Without this explicit reminder people will just not remember ;)
>
> - Bert -

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Frank Shearar-3
On 14 October 2013 19:07, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14 October 2013 18:11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Good points; though originally the idea was to have whoever was most-sunward start off and have a floating chat as the world turned.
>>>
>>> I will try to be 'there' by about 11am my time (Pacific) - 7pm london time, 4am Brisbane time (it's already *tomorow* in Brisbane. What wonders does their future have to tell us?) Suggested topics include
>>> text render/scanning changes
>>> code commenting
>>> why do lions?
>>>
>>> The calendar says the URL should be
>>>
>>> https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/dTdpNWgyZnJpdGNiYjIwNGFoNzY5N25rcThAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.29arvovh0aj2jlkd8lqktpgtro
>>

>> It is unlikely that anyone knows this URL associate with a private calendar. I don't think we ever used that.
>
> OK, well, that URL works, because I'm there, for what it's worth.

Tim and Bob are here, using the above URL. Google's UI design...
leaves a lot to be desired.

> frank
>
>> We used to create a new event with public hangout for each time and invite everyone in the Squeak page's circles, plus whoever else might be interested, plus send a mail to various mailing lists. Without this explicit reminder people will just not remember ;)
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: Squeak general hangout?

timrowledge

On 14-10-2013, at 11:14 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It is unlikely that anyone knows this URL associate with a private calendar. I don't think we ever used that.
>>
>> OK, well, that URL works, because I'm there, for what it's worth.
>
> Tim and Bob are here, using the above URL. Google's UI design...
> leaves a lot to be desired.

It's awful quiet at this party. Frank's had to head off home, Bob has pottered off to sort something out and I'm about to take a coffee break and so it's a great opportunity for someone else to join in and dominate the conversation.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BDC: Break Down and Cry

Re: Squeak general hangout?

timrowledge
Did anyone try to join in and have problems? I've heard from someone that had google account issues and wondered if this was common.

tim
Starbucks are, of course, run by the Caffeinatti.

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Tim Rowledge asked:

> Did anyone try to join in and have problems? I've heard from someone that
> had google account issues and wondered if this was common.

I got stuck in the "upgrade Google Talk" cycle until I gave up and
logged out and in again in my Windows XP machine. Then it said I was the
first one there and I noticed the emails about the hangout were from
about five hours earlier. But the link worked just fine after the
upgrade.

-- Jecel

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Hannes Hirzel
Why not just continue with email? Seems to work fine? Which are the
current topics of interest?

- Making Squeak faster to run on the Raspberry Pi
- Elimination of duplication in CharacterScanner classes
- Namespaces -- what is the status?
- something else ....

On 10/14/13, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim Rowledge asked:
>
>> Did anyone try to join in and have problems? I've heard from someone that
>> had google account issues and wondered if this was common.
>
> I got stuck in the "upgrade Google Talk" cycle until I gave up and
> logged out and in again in my Windows XP machine. Then it said I was the
> first one there and I noticed the emails about the hangout were from
> about five hours earlier. But the link worked just fine after the
> upgrade.
>
> -- Jecel

Re: Squeak general hangout?

Frank Shearar-3
- Getting the quitPrimitive into the Interpreter VM so I can run
reliable build scripts that fail when they should
- _Environments_, not Namespaces. (The former implies the latter; the
converse is not true)
- Layering of "built in" packages, entailing breaking the many cyclic
dependencies between packages

(Google Hangouts is nice because you get to see the faces of other
Squeakers. It's entirely a primate thing.)

frank