Squeak in China

Louise Michaud
I am a middle school computer teacher at SMIC Private School in Shanghai. I teach for the English track. My grade 7 students (ages 11-12) have been learning with Squeak for the past few months. If you are in Shanghai, I would be very interested in having a Squeak user group.

Louise Michaud

At 10:33 PM +0800 4/6/06, Xinyu Liu wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am a programmer come from China. From a friend I got to know about
>squeakland.
>I think it is really a great thing. It can help kids in all ages
>learn something while playing.
>However, when I search squeakland materials in Chinese by Google, I
>found that there
>is little Chinese information about it, nor a Chinese community.
>
>So, I decide to translate some basic background of squeakland to
>Chinese language.
>I just tried a couple of pages in <http://www.squeakland.org>
>www.squeakland.org. But I used some images, pictures,
>and links from <http://www.squeakland.org>www.squeakland.org. Is it
>OK? Can you give me a permission that I can
>use them? I just want to continue this work, to try my personnal
>best to introduce squeak
>to China, to let more and more chinese people know about it.

Re: Squeak in China

Xinyu Liu
Dear Michaud.

I am very glad to here that you used Squeak with your students in Shanghai. I am in Beijing now. I travel to Shanghai several times every year, so we can meet soon. There are a lot of things to do, for example, translate some materials and resources, find more people who are interesting in Squeak, localize it, use it in practice and tell children and adults how to use it, and much much more....

Anyway, we started.

Regards.

Liu

On 4/9/06, Louise Michaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am a middle school computer teacher at SMIC Private School in Shanghai. I teach for the English track. My grade 7 students (ages 11-12) have been learning with Squeak for the past few months. If you are in Shanghai, I would be very interested in having a Squeak user group.

Louise Michaud

At 10:33 PM +0800 4/6/06, Xinyu Liu wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am a programmer come from China. From a friend I got to know about
>squeakland.

>I think it is really a great thing. It can help kids in all ages
>learn something while playing.
>However, when I search squeakland materials in Chinese by Google, I
>found that there
>is little Chinese information about it, nor a Chinese community.
>
>So, I decide to translate some basic background of squeakland to
>Chinese language.
>I just tried a couple of pages in < <a href="http://www.squeakland.org/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.squeakland.org>
>and links from <<a href="http://www.squeakland.org/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.squeakland.org ><a href="http://www.squeakland.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">www.squeakland.org. Is it
>OK? Can you give me a permission that I can
>use them? I just want to continue this work, to try my personnal
>best to introduce squeak
>to China, to let more and more chinese people know about it.

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman7/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://beta.messenger.yahoo.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> Great rates starting at 1ยข/min.

Re: Squeak in China

Xinyu Liu
Dear Liang,

Glad to hear from you. Yes, as you said, there are some difficulty today in China.
The commercial defacto standards, the terrible job market, all drove the student
dive in the same things, They even don't know whether they like it or not.

But it is a good thing to widen their sight, isn't it? Squeak is a fresh spring rain.
It is not only a kind of programming language just extend from classic smalltalk.

In my understanding, there are 2 parts in squeak:
1. a system(or a platform) for the deeper squeaker, students, hackers, programmers
   or scientists.
2. a "playground" or an "instruments", it is a tool for the kids in all ages to play, to
   learn, to understand the world, to express their ideas.
The first part focus on functions(just like hardware) while the second one focus on education and play(just like software).

I believe the latter one is the real power of sqeak, stronger than any existing systems,
Neither Java nor dotNet has this ability.

However, in order to let more Chinese people know this truth, our computer techicians
must take the responsibility of creating a Chinese localized Squeak! I think we can
do it with the help from Squeak community. Do you agree with me?

Finally, I hope I can join the Squeak China mail list, would you like to help me?

I also have a plan to translate some Squeak and smalltalk related books to Chinese.

Best regards.

Yours,
Liu

On 4/11/06, Liang Peng <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Stef and All,

I am Liang Peng, a lecturer in CS department, Wuhan University, major in
Software Engineering.
Actually, we maintain a chinese squeak mailing list for squeak and smalltalk
related discussion since two years ago, [hidden email]
but not too much discussion and activity so far, because of the small number
of squeak user community in China although we can offer them free books and
CDs.
Java, C#, VS, Eclipse is still the hotest toys for students, as you may
understand in China.
But if you like, I can try my best to offer you the information and help i
can make.

best regards.

--
Liang Peng