Squeak license situation

Hilaire Fernandes-4
What is the situation regarding the change to MIT license for Squeak.org?

If I missed the news, my sincere apologies.

Hilaire

Re: Squeak license situation

timrowledge

On 20-Nov-07, at 11:48 AM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> What is the situation regarding the change to MIT license for
> Squeak.org?

There are *still* people that have code in the system and haven't
signed and sent in the licensing form.

You can see a complete list of initials and the names we believe
attach to them, a list of missing email addresses and get a copy of
the license form from Craig's page at
http://www.netjam.org/squeak/contributors/

The following list of initials and names (where known) is derived from
Andrew Black's analysis
AFi:  Alain Fischer
ASF:  ?
BJP:  Bijan Parsia
BP:  Bijan Parsia
EW:  ?
JW:  Jesse Welton
JWS:  John Sarkela
KTT:  Kurt Thams
LEG:  Gerald Leeb
MAL:  Michael Latta
MM:  marca?
MPH:  Michael Hewner
PH:  Phil Hudson
PHK:  Peter Keeler
RAH:  Richard A. Harmon
RB:  Roland Bertuli
RCS:  Russell Swan
RJ:  Ranjan Bagchi
RvL:  Reinier van Loon
TAG:  Travis Griggs
TBP:  ?
abc:  ?
ac:  Andres Coratella
acg:  Andrew C. Greenberg
ag:  Andrew Gaylard?
aoy:  Andres Otaduy
bmk:  Brian Keefer
bolot:  Bolot Kerimbaev
bvs:  Ben Schroeder
de:  ?
djp:  David J. Pennell
dls:  ?
dns:  David N. Smith
drs:  ?
dwh:  Dwight Hughes
eat:  Eric Arseneau Tremblay
edt:  ?
em:  Ernest Micklei?
emm:  Ernest Micklei
hg:  Henrik Gedenryd
hh:  Helge Horch
jdl:  ?
jj:  ?
jla:  Jerry Archibald
jsp:  Jeff Pierce
jwh:  Jim Heyne
len:  Luciano Esteban Notarfrancesco
los:  Lothar Schenk
m:  ?
mdr:  Mike Rutenberg
mkd:  Michael Donegan
mx:  Maximialiano Taborda
nm:  Norberto Manzanos
nop:  Jay Carlson
panda:  ?
pmm:  ?
pnm:  Paul McDonough
programmatic:  ?
r++:  Gerardo Richarte
reThink:  John Sarkela
rjf:  Ricardo J. Ferreira
rlf:  ?
rop:  Russell Penney
rpj:  Robert P. Jarvis
sac:  Scott Crosby
sk:  ?
tfei:  The Fourth Estate, Inc.
to:  ?
tp:  ?
ts:  Torsten Sadowski
ward:  Ward Cunningham
wb:  Wayne Braun
wdc:  Bill Cattey

If you are one of these people, please go to the above webpage and
sign & send the form. If you know any of these people, please ask them
to go to the above webpage and sign & send the form.

Oh, and I *think* that strictly speaking we're not in the business of
relicensing the system as MIT; Apple relicensed the 1.1 release under
the Apache 2.0 license and we are trying to get everything added
subsequently to be under MIT. So far as I can work out that means the
*system* as a whole will be legally Apache 2.0 but I am not a lawyer
and I don't even play one on TV.

tim
Borrow money from pessimists--they don't expect it back.

Re: Squeak license situation

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Hello,

> The following list of initials and names (where known) is derived
> from Andrew Black's analysis

  A few more people turn in their agreements.  The person who are
taking care of the list at Viewpoints will send a notice to Craig.

  Alain Fischer, Bolot Karimbaev, and John Sarkela (finally! thanks to
Andres) did.  I thought Ben Schroeder did, but not sure of the top of
my head.  I cornered Ward at OOPSLA on one day, but didn't have a copy
of agreement handy.  And next day, I missed the chance...

> If you are one of these people, please go to the above webpage and
> sign & send the form. If you know any of these people, please ask them
> to go to the above webpage and sign & send the form.

  Yes, please.

-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak license situation

Karl-19
tim Rowledge wrote:

> [...]
> PH:  Phil Hudson
> PHK:  Peter Keeler
> RAH:  Richard A. Harmon
> RB:  Roland Bertuli
> RCS:  Russell Swan
> RJ:  Ranjan Bagchi
> RvL:  Reinier van Loon
> TAG:  Travis Griggs
> TBP:  ?
> abc:  ?
> ac:  Andres Coratella
> acg:  Andrew C. Greenberg
> ag:  Andrew Gaylard?
> aoy:  Andres Otaduy
> bmk:  Brian Keefer
> bolot:  Bolot Kerimbaev
> bvs:  Ben Schroeder
> de:  ?
> djp:  David J. Pennell
> dls:  ?
> dns:  David N. Smith
> drs:  ?
> dwh:  Dwight Hughes
> eat:  Eric Arseneau Tremblay
> edt:  ?
> em:  Ernest Micklei?
> emm:  Ernest Micklei
> hg:  Henrik Gedenryd
> hh:  Helge Horch
> jdl:  ?
> jj:  ?
> jla:  Jerry Archibald
> jsp:  Jeff Pierce
> jwh:  Jim Heyne
> len:  Luciano Esteban Notarfrancesco
> los:  Lothar Schenk
> m:  ?
> mdr:  Mike Rutenberg
> mkd:  Michael Donegan
> mx:  Maximialiano Taborda
> nm:  Norberto Manzanos
> nop:  Jay Carlson
> panda:  ?
> pmm:  ?
> pnm:  Paul McDonough
> programmatic:  ?
> r++:  Gerardo Richarte
> reThink:  John Sarkela
> rjf:  Ricardo J. Ferreira
> rlf:  ?
> rop:  Russell Penney
> rpj:  Robert P. Jarvis
> sac:  Scott Crosby
> sk:  ?
> tfei:  The Fourth Estate, Inc.
> to:  ?
> tp:  ?
> ts:  Torsten Sadowski
> ward:  Ward Cunningham
> wb:  Wayne Braun
> wdc:  Bill Cattey
>
> If you are one of these people, please go to the above webpage and
> sign & send the form. If you know any of these people, please ask them
> to go to the above webpage and sign & send the form.
>
> Oh, and I *think* that strictly speaking we're not in the business of
> relicensing the system as MIT; Apple relicensed the 1.1 release under
> the Apache 2.0 license and we are trying to get everything added
> subsequently to be under MIT. So far as I can work out that means the
> *system* as a whole will be legally Apache 2.0 but I am not a lawyer
> and I don't even play one on TV.
>

> tim
> Borrow money from pessimists--they don't expect it back.

We could list the number of methods these people have changed, some
maybe just changed one or two, then it would be faster to just
reimplement the method under the right license.

Karl

On 20-Nov-07, at 10:23 PM, Karl wrote:

> We could list the number of methods these people have changed, some
> maybe just changed one or two, then it would be faster to just
> reimplement the method under the right license.

We can do better than that. Andrew derived the list of methods
associated with initials that appear to be related to people that have
not signed and returned the license agreement.

It is a little out of date by now as some of the people listed therein
have done the deed.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BYEBYE: Store in Write-Only Storage

MethodsOfMissingSignatories.txt (53K) Download Attachment

Grabbing my share (was Re: Squeak license situation)

Göran Krampe
Hi all!

As Jerry Archibald and Henrik Gedenryd are not with us anymore I can
take a stab at rewriting those methods.

regards, Göran

Re: Re: Squeak license situation

Alexander Lazarevic'
> dns: methods by David N. Smith

Is this the same David as in:

http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.smalltalk/msg/1c8d41a75d389ea7

> > We could list the number of methods these people have changed, some
> > maybe just changed one or two, then it would be faster to just
> > reimplement the method under the right license.
>
> We can do better than that. Andrew derived the list of methods
> associated with initials that appear to be related to people that have
> not signed and returned the license agreement.

--- original Nachricht Ende ----

Re: Squeak license situation

stephane ducasse
I contacted some of the people and got some postive answers but we
should continue.
I would like to know f the 3.10 release payed attention not to
include code from people that did not sign the agreement.

stef

On 21 nov. 07, at 03:55, tim Rowledge wrote:

> [...]
> tp:  ?
> ts:  Torsten Sadowski
> ward:  Ward Cunningham
> wb:  Wayne Braun
> wdc:  Bill Cattey
>
> If you are one of these people, please go to the above webpage and
> sign & send the form. If you know any of these people, please ask
> them to go to the above webpage and sign & send the form.
>
> Oh, and I *think* that strictly speaking we're not in the business
> of relicensing the system as MIT; Apple relicensed the 1.1 release
> under the Apache 2.0 license and we are trying to get everything
> added subsequently to be under MIT. So far as I can work out that
> means the *system* as a whole will be legally Apache 2.0 but I am
> not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV.
>

> tim
> Borrow money from pessimists--they don't expect it back.

I contacted also bijan and he should have done it. Alain too.

Stef

On 21 nov. 07, at 04:14, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>> The following list of initials and names (where known) is derived
>> from Andrew Black's analysis
>
>   A few more people turn in their agreements.  The person who are
> taking care of the list at Viewpoints will send a notice to Craig.
>
>   Alain Fischer, Bolot Karimbaev, and John Sarkela (finally! thanks to
> Andres) did.  I thought Ben Schroeder did, but not sure of the top of
> my head.  I cornered Ward at OOPSLA on one day, but didn't have a copy
> of agreement handy.  And next day, I missed the chance...
>
>> If you are one of these people, please go to the above webpage and
>> sign & send the form. If you know any of these people, please ask
>> them
>> to go to the above webpage and sign & send the form.
>
>   Yes, please.
>
> -- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak license situation

stephane ducasse
yes this is the case of Bertuli which was long time ago a student at
bern.

Stef
On 21 nov. 07, at 07:23, Karl wrote:

> [...]
>> sign & send the form. If you know any of these people, please ask
>> them to go to the above webpage and sign & send the form.
>>
>> Oh, and I *think* that strictly speaking we're not in the business
>> of relicensing the system as MIT; Apple relicensed the 1.1 release
>> under the Apache 2.0 license and we are trying to get everything
>> added subsequently to be under MIT. So far as I can work out that
>> means the *system* as a whole will be legally Apache 2.0 but I am
>> not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV.
>>

>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Borrow money from pessimists--they don't expect it back.
>>

> We could list the number of methods these people have changed, some
> maybe just changed one or two, then it would be faster to just
> reimplement the method under the right license.

Paolo Bonzini-2

>> We could list the number of methods these people have changed, some
>> maybe just changed one or two, then it would be faster to just
>> reimplement the method under the right license.

Just as a rule of thumb, the FSF does not care about copyright for
people who have contributed less than 10-15 lines of code.

Paolo

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 20-Nov-07, at 10:23 PM, Karl wrote:
>>>
>> We could list the number of methods these people have changed, some
>> maybe just changed one or two, then it would be faster to just
>> reimplement the method under the right license.
>
> We can do better than that. Andrew derived the list of methods
> associated with initials that appear to be related to people that have
> not signed and returned the license agreement.
Luciano Esteban Notarfrancesco made the speech framework which could be
a external package.
Russell Swan made the ScaleMorph which could be external.

Karl

Re: Squeak license situation

Randal L. Schwartz

Paolo> Just as a rule of thumb, the FSF does not care about copyright for
Paolo> people who have contributed less than 10-15 lines of code.

Does this mean "the FSF has researched the situation, and their lawyers have
determined that the prevailing laws ignore such small contributions", or "the
FSF has set a policy of small contributions being irrelevant"?

After all, the FSF is not the ultimate arbiter.  The legal system is.  And the
FSF doesn't own the Apache 2 license.  That license is approved under OSI
guidelines.

Sorry to pick nits, but if the point of this exercise is to do it by the book,
I just want to make sure we're on the same page. :)

Re: Squeak license situation

Bert Freudenberg
On Nov 21, 2007, at 3:55 , tim Rowledge wrote:

> Oh, and I *think* that strictly speaking we're not in the business
> of relicensing the system as MIT; Apple relicensed the 1.1 release
> under the Apache 2.0 license and we are trying to get everything
> added subsequently to be under MIT. So far as I can work out that
> means the *system* as a whole will be legally Apache 2.0 but I am
> not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV.

Indeed - the board is trying to get clarification on this from VPRI's
lawyers.

What we can say for sure is the history of events to date:

==========
On 23 September 1996, Apple Computer Inc. released Squeak V1.1 under
the "Squeak License" (SqL).

On May 8, 2006 Apple agreed to relicense original Squeak Code under
the "Apple Public Source License 2.0" (APSL 2.0).

On October 12, 2006 Apple granted permission to relicense under
Apache 2.0.

In 2006, VPRI began to collect "Distribution Agreements" for all
contributors to Squeak since V1.1 up to V3.8, asking them to
relicense their contributions, which were originally licensed under
SqL, to the MIT license. This was a great effort on behalf of many
and VPRI has 100s of signed documents agreeing to this.
==========

This, I think, should be mentioned on http://www.squeak.org/
SqueakLicense/ which is somewhat fuzzy.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak license situation

Paolo Bonzini
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Paolo> Just as a rule of thumb, the FSF does not care about copyright for
> Paolo> people who have contributed less than 10-15 lines of code.
>
> Does this mean "the FSF has researched the situation, and their lawyers have
> determined that the prevailing laws ignore such small contributions", or "the
> FSF has set a policy of small contributions being irrelevant"?

I don't know, but the FSF wants to be free to bump the minimum GPL
version number (for example) without violating the contributors'
copyright.  They have a concept of "legally significant change", which
they describe like this.

"If a person contributes more than around 15 lines of code and/or text
that is legally significant for copyright purposes, which means we need
copyright papers for it as described above.

A change of just a few lines (less than 15 or so) is not legally
significant for copyright. A regular series of repeated changes, such as
renaming a symbol, is not legally significant even if the symbol has to
be renamed in many places. Keep in mind, however, that a series of minor
changes by the same person can add up to a significant contribution.
What counts is the total contribution of the person; it is irrelevant
which parts of it were contributed when."

I can ask the FSF guys how they came up with this rule.  Maybe there is
a precedent somewhere, but IANAL and not even an American.

Paolo

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 3:55 , tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> Oh, and I *think* that strictly speaking we're not in the business of
>> relicensing the system as MIT; Apple relicensed the 1.1 release under
>> the Apache 2.0 license and we are trying to get everything added
>> subsequently to be under MIT. So far as I can work out that means the
>> *system* as a whole will be legally Apache 2.0 but I am not a lawyer
>> and I don't even play one on TV.
>
> Indeed - the board is trying to get clarification on this from VPRI's
> lawyers.
>
> What we can say for sure is the history of events to date:
>
> ==========
> On 23 September 1996, Apple Computer Inc. released Squeak V1.1 under
> the "Squeak License" (SqL).
>
> On May 8, 2006 Apple agreed to relicense original Squeak Code under
> the "Apple Public Source License 2.0" (APSL 2.0).
>
> On October 12, 2006 Apple granted permission to relicense under Apache
> 2.0.
>
> In 2006, VPRI began to collect "Distribution Agreements" for all
> contributors to Squeak since V1.1 up to V3.8, asking them to relicense
> their contributions, which were originally licensed under SqL, to the
> MIT license. This was a great effort on behalf of many and VPRI has
> 100s of signed documents agreeing to this.
> ==========
>
> This, I think, should be mentioned on
> http://www.squeak.org/SqueakLicense/ which is somewhat fuzzy.
I made some changes to the license page. It's still fuzzy but the whole
license situation is a little fuzzy :-)

Karl

grt

Re: Squeak license situation

grt
hi all,

Wat will be the role of young squeakers like me.......i am relatively new to this business and i need help regarding understanding my role in here? wat happens if MIT licence is given to squeak?does any of my freedom regarding using sueak code will be affected...?I have published something in squeak map ...will that be affected too...

pls reply with details...coz i am new to this and totally ignorant bot the leagal as well as licensing aspects...

TIA,

thushar(grt)

thuchu

Thushar G R wrote:

> hi all,
>
> Wat will be the role of young squeakers like me.......i am relatively
> new to this business and i need help regarding understanding my role
> in here? wat happens if MIT licence is given to squeak?does any of my
> freedom regarding using sueak code will be affected...?I have
> published something in squeak map ...will that be affected too...
>
> pls reply with details...coz i am new to this and totally ignorant bot
> the leagal as well as licensing aspects...
>
> TIA,
>
> thushar(grt)
Your code on SqueakMap is under license of your own decision. If you
want your code included in the official Squeak releases it must be under
the MIT license.

Karl

> On 11/22/07, * Karl* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>     > On Nov 21, 2007, at 3:55 , tim Rowledge wrote:
>     >
>     >> Oh, and I *think* that strictly speaking we're not in the
>     business of
>     >> relicensing the system as MIT; Apple relicensed the 1.1 release
>     under
>     >> the Apache 2.0 license and we are trying to get everything added
>     >> subsequently to be under MIT. So far as I can work out that
>     means the
>     >> *system* as a whole will be legally Apache 2.0 but I am not a
>     lawyer
>     >> and I don't even play one on TV.
>     >
>     > Indeed - the board is trying to get clarification on this from
>     VPRI's
>     > lawyers.
>     >
>     > What we can say for sure is the history of events to date:
>     >
>     > ==========
>     > On 23 September 1996, Apple Computer Inc. released Squeak V1.1 under
>     > the "Squeak License" (SqL).
>     >
>     > On May 8, 2006 Apple agreed to relicense original Squeak Code under
>     > the "Apple Public Source License 2.0" (APSL 2.0).
>     >
>     > On October 12, 2006 Apple granted permission to relicense under
>     Apache
>     > 2.0.
>     >
>     > In 2006, VPRI began to collect "Distribution Agreements" for all
>     > contributors to Squeak since V1.1 up to V3.8, asking them to
>     relicense
>     > their contributions, which were originally licensed under SqL,
>     to the
>     > MIT license. This was a great effort on behalf of many and VPRI has
>     > 100s of signed documents agreeing to this.
>     > ==========
>     >
>     > This, I think, should be mentioned on
>     > http://www.squeak.org/SqueakLicense/ which is somewhat fuzzy.
>     I made some changes to the license page. It's still fuzzy but the
>     whole
>     license situation is a little fuzzy :-)
>
>     Karl
>

> --
> thuchu

RE: Squeak license situation

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

I just heard from Luciano.  He is in China but has just printed out the
agreement, and said he going to figure out how to mail it now.

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader