Squeak on Nintendo DS

Hans N Beck-2
Hi,

The Nintendo DS game handheld is very successful at game developers .
In addition, a linux is already running on it (http://www.dslinux.org/
wiki/Main_Page).
Therefore - would Squeak running useful at this ? Here are the
specs:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Specifications

I ask it because I had lost me feeling for hardware in the Intel Core
Duo age......

Regards

Hans

Re: Squeak on Nintendo DS

Torsten Sadowski
The DSLinux site says it has two ARMs, one with 33MHz and one with 67MHz. From
my experience with ARMed Squeak I would not use anything under 200MHz (at
least with Morphic.

Cheers, Torsten

Am Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2006 22:22 schrieb Hans N Beck:

> Hi,
>
> The Nintendo DS game handheld is very successful at game developers .
> In addition, a linux is already running on it (http://www.dslinux.org/
> wiki/Main_Page).
> Therefore - would Squeak running useful at this ? Here are the
> specs:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Specifications
>
> I ask it because I had lost me feeling for hardware in the Intel Core
> Duo age......
>

> Regards
>

> Hans

Re: Squeak on Nintendo DS

Alexandre Jasmin
I ported the VM to the DS a few month ago.

I only spent a weekend on it, so it's not working very well but I can
make it a bit more usuable if you need to use it.

You need to use a third party flash card to run anything that's not
certified by Nintendo and since the DS have only 4MiB of ram on the DS
don't expect to use your regular image.

I wasn't able to implement the save function because the file system
driver for my flash card doesn't support writing yet but I guess it's
doable.

Le jeudi 14 décembre 2006 à 10:21 +0100, Torsten Sadowski a écrit :

> The DSLinux site says it has two ARMs, one with 33MHz and one with 67MHz. From
> my experience with ARMed Squeak I would not use anything under 200MHz (at
> least with Morphic.
>
> Cheers, Torsten
>
> Am Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2006 22:22 schrieb Hans N Beck:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Nintendo DS game handheld is very successful at game developers .
> > In addition, a linux is already running on it (http://www.dslinux.org/
> > wiki/Main_Page).
> > Therefore - would Squeak running useful at this ? Here are the
> > specs:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Specifications
> >
> > I ask it because I had lost me feeling for hardware in the Intel Core
> > Duo age......
> >

> > Regards
> >

> > Hans

Re: Squeak on Nintendo DS

Hans N Beck-2
Hi,

very interesting.

Am 14.12.2006 um 18:41 schrieb Alexandre Jasmin:

> I ported the VM to the DS a few month ago.
>
> I only spent a weekend on it, so it's not working very well but I can
> make it a bit more usuable if you need to use it.

I have only some ideas, not concrete plans.  The far goal would be
games for Nintendo, and I asked me if Squeak could be a "integrator"
or scripting tool, if graphics etc. are provided by plug-in. I have
no experience make a own VM, but it seems not to be a great problem.
Also, I have no experience with the homebrew things, and therefore
before I consider to go on I wanted to know if there is a chance at
all that squeak runs. So I notice that the answer is yes :-)

> You need to use a third party flash card to run anything that's not
> certified by Nintendo and since the DS have only 4MiB of ram on the DS
> don't expect to use your regular image.
>
> I wasn't able to implement the save function because the file system
> driver for my flash card doesn't support writing yet but I guess it's
> doable.

Thank you for your infos

Regards

Hans

> Le jeudi 14 décembre 2006 à 10:21 +0100, Torsten Sadowski a écrit :
>> The DSLinux site says it has two ARMs, one with 33MHz and one with
>> 67MHz. From
>> my experience with ARMed Squeak I would not use anything under
>> 200MHz (at
>> least with Morphic.
>>
>> Cheers, Torsten
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2006 22:22 schrieb Hans N Beck:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The Nintendo DS game handheld is very successful at game
>>> developers .
>>> In addition, a linux is already running on it (http://
>>> www.dslinux.org/
>>> wiki/Main_Page).
>>> Therefore - would Squeak running useful at this ? Here are the
>>> specs:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Specifications
>>>
>>> I ask it because I had lost me feeling for hardware in the Intel
>>> Core
>>> Duo age......
>>>

>>> Regards
>>>

>>> Hans

Re: Squeak on Nintendo DS

Jens Lincke

how did you port squeak to the DS? Did you use the linux port or do you
use the DS directly?

I like to try it out very much and I think there are other NDS fans on
this list too.

- Jens -

Re: Squeak on Nintendo DS

Aaron Reichow
I'm quite curious about this myself, both as a user and developer of
Squeak on PDAs, but I'm also a fan and owner of a DS.

I've never used Squeak on a machine *that* slow, but I have used
Squeak on a machine at least in the same league- the VTech Helio with
its 75 MHz MIPS CPU.  No way you're going to run Morphic, both
because of speed and memory availability on something so skimpy like
the DS.  But MVC is incredibly fast- I've run it just fine under DOS
and Linux on 33 MHz 486 machines, which is more powerful than the 33
MHz ARM most likely in the DS, but still.

I think I can say (conjecture) that the simple CharRecog character
recognizer that is apart of Squeak and works great in MVC would run
fast enough as well.  Some work would need to be done on it to allow
a person to train it, selecting the intended character using the D-
pad and A button. A soft keyboard could be written as well, but
outside my expertise (for MVC at least).

Looking forward to hearing more about this...

Regards,
Aaron

On Dec 18, 2006, at 12:05 PM, Jens Lincke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how did you port squeak to the DS? Did you use the linux port or do
> you use the DS directly?
>
> I like to try it out very much and I think there are other NDS fans
> on this list too.
>
> - Jens -

Re: Squeak on Nintendo DS

Hans N Beck-2
Hi Alexandre,

Am 14.12.2006 um 18:41 schrieb Alexandre Jasmin:

> I ported the VM to the DS a few month ago.
>
> I only spent a weekend on it, so it's not working very well but I can
> make it a bit more usuable if you need to use it.
>
> You need to use a third party flash card to run anything that's not
> certified by Nintendo and since the DS have only 4MiB of ram on the DS
> don't expect to use your regular image.
>
> I wasn't able to implement the save function because the file system
> driver for my flash card doesn't support writing yet but I guess it's
> doable.

Is ist expensive and / or complicated to use these "homebrew"
things ? From the descriptions in the internet it seems not, but
practice may be different ;-)

As far as I know, there are emulators for DS to run on a PC, so one
could make an optimized Squeak version (VM) in a  more easy way ?
 From the practical use I would use Squeak as scripting or
integrating part for use the SDK API to develop games. So the
important part would be to have the mechanism of smalltalk, not the
normal image....

Regards

Hans