Squeak on Raspbian which VM?

Herbert König
Hi,

I found that Raspbian comes with a Squeak vm. Stuck a 3.8 and a brand
new 4.5 image into the folder and both work.

Is this the right VM to use or is there a newer one?

Thanks

Herbert

Re: Squeak on Raspbian which VM?

David T. Lewis
I am not sure what is being provided with the Raspbian distribution (but
Tim can probably clarify). In any case, if you do run into any problems
with it, you can check the squeakvm.org page at

  http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/

I believe that the Raspberry Pi VM on that page is up to date with all of
Tim's performance enhancements for Pi.

Dave

> Hi,
>
> I found that Raspbian comes with a Squeak vm. Stuck a 3.8 and a brand
> new 4.5 image into the folder and both work.
>
> Is this the right VM to use or is there a newer one?
>
> Thanks
>
> Herbert

Re: Squeak on Raspbian which VM?

timrowledge

On 21-03-2014, at 11:58 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found that Raspbian comes with a Squeak vm. Stuck a 3.8 and a brand new 4.5 image into the folder and both work.
>
> Is this the right VM to use or is there a newer one?

It’s *a* right vm - it is a recent plain interpreter with the speeded-up bitblt . There is a slightly faster vm  - a stackvm also with the betterblt - in the nuScratch alpha test packages. The latest one is at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq43vfuv9gfzbq3/NuScratch5.tgz
but you’ll have to fiddle around with installing the executables and plugins. It’s about 50% faster at typical compute jobs. A full Cog is coming but don’t hold your breath.

tim
The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.

Re: Squeak on Raspbian which VM?

Herbert König
Thanks David and Tim!

I plan to run it constantly so stability is the most important asset.

I'll stick with the built in VM.

Cheers,

Herbert