Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Squeak on Ubuntu reloaded

laza
I just updated my article about Squeak on Ubuntu, which is aimed at the more infrequent Ubuntu/Squeak user. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
 Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Squeak on Ubuntu reloaded

Chris Cunnington
This is pretty cool. I didn't know it could be done like this. I've only had experience getting it running on Linux from the command line, which isn't ideal. I'm getting back to Linux and have discovered that Ubuntu is much nicer than my previous, somewhat dated, experience with Fedora. I'll give your instructions a shot today or tomorrow. Thanks. 

Chris 

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Cunnington
In reply to this post by laza
Whoa. That was easy. I'm going to remake my Linux install movie and point to this blog. I'll put it up Monday. 

Chris 

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
On 16.08.2010, at 21:31, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Whoa. That was easy. I'm going to remake my Linux install movie and point to this blog. I'll put it up Monday.

Kudos to José L. Redrejo Rodríguez from linex.org for making the Debian packages! And all other Linux package maintainers, really. They make getting Squeak much less painful for users.

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Davies-2
On 16 August 2010 18:44, Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just updated my article about Squeak on Ubuntu, which is aimed at the more infrequent Ubuntu/Squeak user. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
 Alex

Perfect timing! I was just talking a colleague into trying Squeak out on his new Ubuntu machine today, and did a quick search while telling him that it probably wasn't very well documented. Your page came as a nice surprise, so we may have a new squeaker tomorrow!

Thanks, Michael

Reply | Threaded
|

laza
In reply to this post by Chris Cunnington
Thanks for checking it out and the pointer!

Alex

2010/8/16 Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]>
Whoa. That was easy. I'm going to remake my Linux install movie and point to this blog. I'll put it up Monday. 

Chris 

Reply | Threaded
|

laza
In reply to this post by Bert Freudenberg
To get Squeak into Debian José took the pain to sift through all the VM source code for license information and to list them for the VM and each VM plugin. Kudos indeed.

2010/8/16 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
On 16.08.2010, at 21:31, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Whoa. That was easy. I'm going to remake my Linux install movie and point to this blog. I'll put it up Monday.

Kudos to José L. Redrejo Rodríguez from linex.org for making the Debian packages! And all other Linux package maintainers, really. They make getting Squeak much less painful for users.

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

laza
In reply to this post by Michael Davies-2
2010/8/17 Michael Davies <[hidden email]>

Perfect timing! I was just talking a colleague into trying Squeak out on his new Ubuntu machine today, and did a quick search while telling him that it probably wasn't very well documented. Your page came as a nice surprise, so we may have a new squeaker tomorrow!

What could be a better result of the fun work on a "rainy" day during a vacation trip? :D

Muchos saludos,
 Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

laza
I've split the blog post into two parts.

[1] http://blog.blobworks.com/2010/08/16/squeak-on-ubuntu-reloaded
[2] http://blog.blobworks.com/2010/09/01/getting-squeak-4-1-on-ubuntu

The embedding of the video "Squeak on Lab with Leo" did not work anymore, so I replaced it with a link to the video platform.

[3] http://blog.blobworks.com/2008/02/20/squeak-on-lab-with-leo

Alex

2010/8/16 Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>

Thanks,
 Alex