Squeak on Windows CE: how popular?

Nagy Attila
Dear List,

I'd like to have a picture on how many of us use Squeak on WinCE based
handhelds. If some of us do, maybe we could trade some useful experience
(mainly regarding tricks on how to live with a screen size of 320*240).

Attis

re: Squeak on Windows CE: how popular?

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

        I use Squeak on an iPAQ, with a subpixel-rendered display in landscape
at 1024x768 and higher with zooming and panning, via the Nytidot Virtual
Display[1], and an onscreen keyboard I wrote that follows my text focus
around on the screen.

-C

[1] http://nyditot.com

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Squeak on Windows CE: how popular?

Nagy Attila
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info. I have an external IR keyboard, and it works well
with Squeak. I also wanted to give Nyditot a try, but I had the GAPI
version, and it didn't get resized. I just grabbed the non-GAPI version,
and now I'll try with that.

The only thing that is a problem sometimes is that while resizing
windows, the system is 'stuck' in resize mode, and all taps from then on
will only change the size of the window. I can't find any way to exit
from this resize mode. Have you ever met this kind of problem?

Bye, Attis

Craig Latta írta:

> Hi--
>
>     I use Squeak on an iPAQ, with a subpixel-rendered display in
> landscape at 1024x768 and higher with zooming and panning, via the
> Nytidot Virtual Display[1], and an onscreen keyboard I wrote that
> follows my text focus around on the screen.
>

> -C
>
> [1] http://nyditot.com

Re: Squeak on Windows CE: how popular?

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Hi Attis,

> The only thing that is a problem sometimes is that while resizing
> windows, the system is 'stuck' in resize mode, and all taps from then on
> will only change the size of the window. I can't find any way to exit
> from this resize mode. Have you ever met this kind of problem?

I have solved the problem of stuck in resize mode and also change
 the font to smaller, to fit the world menu inside the desktop :-(
I have also changed for a better maximization of windows to
 use all th escreen (do not waste pixels on border).

The changes (inside changeset of image file) can be found in
 a file named iPAQimage.zip
 at http://www.aleReimondo.com.ar/PocketPC

hope this help, but it isn´t enought to make the winCE
 image a confortable place to work on a day by day basis,
Ale.

> Thanks for the info. I have an external IR keyboard, and it works well
> with Squeak. I also wanted to give Nyditot a try, but I had the GAPI
> version, and it didn't get resized. I just grabbed the non-GAPI version,
> and now I'll try with that.
>
> The only thing that is a problem sometimes is that while resizing
> windows, the system is 'stuck' in resize mode, and all taps from then on
> will only change the size of the window. I can't find any way to exit
> from this resize mode. Have you ever met this kind of problem?
>
> Bye, Attis
>
> Craig Latta írta:
> >
> > Hi--
> >
> >     I use Squeak on an iPAQ, with a subpixel-rendered display in
> > landscape at 1024x768 and higher with zooming and panning, via the
> > Nytidot Virtual Display[1], and an onscreen keyboard I wrote that
> > follows my text focus around on the screen.
> >

> > -C
> >
> > [1] http://nyditot.com

Re: Squeak on Windows CE: how popular?

Noury Bouraqadi

For the PDA version of Ubiquitalk (see
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/UbiquiTalk) we have chosen to make a dedicated
GUI.
We have a single window with the "right size" to fit the PDA display.
The "content" child morph of the window is replaced according to user's
activities.
Also, UbiquiTalk has a "navigation bar" that allows changing activities
and quitting.
We also use tabs (e.g. for settings) in order to avoid too much
scrolling.

Note : UbiquiTalk for PDA is built on top of SqueakLight because the
image size is small.
BTW, the world menu in SqueakLight is shorter than "plain Squeak".

Noury
Le 26 avr. 06, à 03:00, Nagy Attila a écrit :

> Dear List,
>
> I'd like to have a picture on how many of us use Squeak on WinCE based
> handhelds. If some of us do, maybe we could trade some useful
> experience (mainly regarding tricks on how to live with a screen size
> of 320*240).
>
> Attis

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org