Squeak on iOS4.2

Casey Ransberger-2

I checked out a copy of the sources as directed on isqueak.org and tried to build, but ran into a couple of problems.

I wanted to start with as much stability as possible so I figured I'd check out the standard VM before Cog.

First, my base SDK was missing. I googled that. Found this:

Followed the instructions there. It didn't seem to change anything, but it's worth noting that I did change my settings per this article. I'm guessing what I found below overrides those settings? Anyway, it's worth noting that when I was finally able to build, I did so after following those instructions, so I'm not sure at this time whether or not they were necessary.

I don't have a 3.2 or 4.1 SDK. I searched for a bit and didn't find a place to get either one. Xcode complaints were of the form 'iphoneos4.1', so I grepped.

stratosphere:vm casey$ grep -rl iphoneos4.1 . | grep -v svn
./SqueakPureObjcCogVM.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
stratosphere:vm casey$ grep iphoneos4.1 ./SqueakPureObjcCogVM.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;

Did a search/replace-all and changed these to iphoneos4.2.

I struggled with dialog boxes complaining that Xcode detected tomfoolery on disk and wanted to overwrite my changes after modifying this file. If I did this again, I'd probably quit Xcode, make the modification with a text editor, and then reopen Xcode to build.

Once this was done, it was just a matter of resolving the dependencies on the Pharo and Squeak .sources files, and voila: I was looking at John's Obj-C bridge in the iPhone simulator with a big grin on my face.

All in all, it was a fun half hour! Now to make some tea and get to bed. Sorry if this is old news, figured I'd write it down in case it'd help anyone else:)

Casey Ransberger

Casey Ransberger

Re: Squeak on iOS4.2

johnmci

Casey, you'll have more fun if you take the current source from http://squeakvm.org
because we merged it into the main thrunk a couple of months ago... Look in the /platforms/iOS folder for the xcode projects

On 2010-12-01, at 9:53 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:

Except in my recap I use the Cog vm as an example in spite of having said that I used the standard, which is awfully confusing. Gorram unix! These directories all look the same:)

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Squeak on iOS4.2

Casey Ransberger-2

Looked through my history, I checked out with this:

Am I bungling the subversion?

On 2010-12-01, at 9:53 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:

Except in my recap I use the Cog vm as an example in spite of having said that I used the standard, which is awfully confusing. Gorram unix! These directories all look the same:)

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Casey Ransberger

Re: Squeak on iOS4.2

johnmci

Ah, I had read "isqueak.org " and thought you had check it out from there.
No you have the right version, mind right this second building the cog stack VM won't really fly because you are missing some patches.

Re: Squeak on iOS4.2

Bert Freudenberg

On 02.12.2010, at 06:49, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> I checked out a copy of the sources as directed on isqueak.org and tried to build, but ran into a couple of problems.
>
> I wanted to start with as much stability as possible so I figured I'd check out the standard VM before Cog.
>
> First, my base SDK was missing. I googled that. Found this:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#qa/qa2010/qa1701.html
>
> Followed the instructions there. It didn't seem to change anything, but it's worth noting that I did change my settings per this article. I'm guessing what I found below overrides those settings? Anyway, it's worth noting that when I was finally able to build, I did so after following those instructions, so I'm not sure at this time whether or not they were necessary.
>
> I don't have a 3.2 or 4.1 SDK. I searched for a bit and didn't find a place to get either one. Xcode complaints were of the form 'iphoneos4.1', so I grepped.
>
> stratosphere:vm casey$ grep -rl iphoneos4.1 . | grep -v svn
> ./SqueakPureObjcCogVM.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
> stratosphere:vm casey$ grep iphoneos4.1 ./SqueakPureObjcCogVM.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
> SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
> SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
> SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
> SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
> SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
> SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
>
> Did a search/replace-all and changed these to iphoneos4.2.
>
> I struggled with dialog boxes complaining that Xcode detected tomfoolery on disk and wanted to overwrite my changes after modifying this file. If I did this again, I'd probably quit Xcode, make the modification with a text editor, and then reopen Xcode to build.
>
> Once this was done, it was just a matter of resolving the dependencies on the Pharo and Squeak .sources files, and voila: I was looking at John's Obj-C bridge in the iPhone simulator with a big grin on my face.
>
> All in all, it was a fun half hour! Now to make some tea and get to bed. Sorry if this is old news, figured I'd write it down in case it'd help anyone else:)
>
> --
> Casey Ransberger

I changed the SDK to 4.2 using the project inspector. Worked too.

But I had a problem in SocketPlugin/sqUnixSocket.c that netinet/udp.h was not found. Anyone else seeing this? I removed the #include and it seemed to work ...

Maybe because I set the minimal deployment version to 3.2? I didn't experiment much.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak on iOS4.2

Casey Ransberger-2

Yeah, I see that.