Squeak port

pascal.vollmer
Hi,

I'd like to port Squeak to an embedded PowerPC/Unix-system (Freescale PowerPC MPC5200BB/Linux). Do you know where I could find documentation or advice?

Kind regards
Pascal

Pascal Vollmer
Email: [hidden email]

Jetzt komfortabel bei Arcor-Digital TV einsteigen: Mehr Happy Ends, mehr Herzschmerz, mehr Fernsehen! Erleben Sie 50 digitale TV Programme und optional 60 Pay TV Sender, einen elektronischen Programmführer mit Movie Star Bewertungen von TV Movie. Außerdem, aktuelle Filmhits und spannende Dokus in der Arcor-Videothek. Infos unter www.arcor.de/tv

Re: Squeak port

Derek O'Connell-2
The unix source should compile ok. Check http://squeakvm.org/ for info
and the following for good porting advice:
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/uploads/porting.1.pdf

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to port Squeak to an embedded PowerPC/Unix-system (Freescale PowerPC MPC5200BB/Linux). Do you know where I could find documentation or advice?
>
> Kind regards
> Pascal
>
> Pascal Vollmer
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Jetzt komfortabel bei Arcor-Digital TV einsteigen: Mehr Happy Ends, mehr Herzschmerz, mehr Fernsehen! Erleben Sie 50 digitale TV Programme und optional 60 Pay TV Sender, einen elektronischen Programmführer mit Movie Star Bewertungen von TV Movie. Außerdem, aktuelle Filmhits und spannende Dokus in der Arcor-Videothek. Infos unter www.arcor.de/tv

Re: Squeak port

Tim Johnson
The porting guide mentioned below got me going when I was porting Squeak to the Amiga a
couple of years ago.  However, it is very dated.  To get the most out of that text's
instructions, one should be working with (IIRC) the 3.2 image.  The text does not at all
describe VMMaker, which is prevalent in more recent images, nor does it fully cover the
changes in the event-handling subsystem (polling vs. events).  The rest of the information
(re: the VM's internals) is pretty darned useful though.

You are right though, of course, that for going from one Unix-based system to another, one
might not need to worry about some of the intricacies since the majority of the existing code
should work across Unix platforms.

- TimJ