Squeak release process - Thanks Frank!

Chris Cunnington
Hi Frank,

Thanks for volunteering to be the release leader for Squeak 4.4! It's
going to be a great image. If you don't mind, I have a few ideas to make
the process easier for you.

Take those details I gave you and divide them roughly into two groups:
things that need to happen to the alpha; and, things to do with the
release candidate.

It would be good if somebody fixed "Smalltalk appendChangesTo:", as it's
broken. That way the image loses a few M and we'll use
SqueakV4.4.changes instead of SqueakV4.1.changes. That would be nice.

Do the image building in public. Do an image a week. Six revs, it's
Labour Day, and we have a Squeak4.4 release.

I ran through the image building process over and over with the members
of the SOB watching. How about the whole community? There is no reason
this needs to be a secret process. Is there? And it will take a lot of
weight from you. Let people test, poke, etc.

That combined with producing a weekly image shouldn't be too onerous a
process. There is one thing you need to keep for yourself, though.

Save the desktop pattern as something you choose. You may balk, but it
will be satisfying to see YouTube videos with that pattern. It will
compensate for the moments you felt abandoned to a thankless task.

One more thing. You can release Squeak4.4 or you can be a nice guy.
Don't try to do both at once. At some point you'll need to enact
executive privilege and say no. There's always Squeak 4.5.

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Squeak release process - Thanks Frank!

Frank Shearar-3
On 20 July 2012 15:45, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for volunteering to be the release leader for Squeak 4.4! It's going
> to be a great image. If you don't mind, I have a few ideas to make the
> process easier for you.

I... guess I should have seen that coming.

OK, let's see how it goes. One thing that would be _really really_
useful is getting that CI server up and running.

I've put a holding place for the release at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188. It will gain content as we go.
(First thing to go in there will be your notes, Chris.)

frank

> Take those details I gave you and divide them roughly into two groups:
> things that need to happen to the alpha; and, things to do with the release
> candidate.
>
> It would be good if somebody fixed "Smalltalk appendChangesTo:", as it's
> broken. That way the image loses a few M and we'll use SqueakV4.4.changes
> instead of SqueakV4.1.changes. That would be nice.
>
> Do the image building in public. Do an image a week. Six revs, it's Labour
> Day, and we have a Squeak4.4 release.
>
> I ran through the image building process over and over with the members of
> the SOB watching. How about the whole community? There is no reason this
> needs to be a secret process. Is there? And it will take a lot of weight
> from you. Let people test, poke, etc.
>
> That combined with producing a weekly image shouldn't be too onerous a
> process. There is one thing you need to keep for yourself, though.
>
> Save the desktop pattern as something you choose. You may balk, but it will
> be satisfying to see YouTube videos with that pattern. It will compensate
> for the moments you felt abandoned to a thankless task.
>
> One more thing. You can release Squeak4.4 or you can be a nice guy. Don't
> try to do both at once. At some point you'll need to enact executive
> privilege and say no. There's always Squeak 4.5.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Re: Squeak release process - Thanks Frank!

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 04:30:10PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 20 July 2012 15:45, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Frank,
> >
> > Thanks for volunteering to be the release leader for Squeak 4.4! It's going
> > to be a great image. If you don't mind, I have a few ideas to make the
> > process easier for you.
>
> I... guess I should have seen that coming.
>
> OK, let's see how it goes. One thing that would be _really really_
> useful is getting that CI server up and running.
>
> I've put a holding place for the release at
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188. It will gain content as we go.
> (First thing to go in there will be your notes, Chris.)

Frank,

I'm not sure if you volunteered, or if you "got volunteered" for this. But
either way, thank you!!!

p.s. Chris: nice job on the recruiting ;)

Dave

On 21 July 2012 00:41, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 04:30:10PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 20 July 2012 15:45, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Frank,
>> >
>> > Thanks for volunteering to be the release leader for Squeak 4.4! It's going
>> > to be a great image. If you don't mind, I have a few ideas to make the
>> > process easier for you.
>>
>> I... guess I should have seen that coming.
>>
>> OK, let's see how it goes. One thing that would be _really really_
>> useful is getting that CI server up and running.
>>
>> I've put a holding place for the release at
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6188. It will gain content as we go.
>> (First thing to go in there will be your notes, Chris.)
>
> Frank,
>
> I'm not sure if you volunteered, or if you "got volunteered" for this. But
> either way, thank you!!!

I think some SOB (teehee) somewhere added whining around 'undocumented
release process' and 'asking about 4.4', did the maths, and came up
with 'Frank'!

frank