Squeak's uniqueness

1 message Options

Squeak's uniqueness

K. K. Subramaniam
Hi,

My six-year old daughter, was playing with the Star and Mixed objects in 3.9.
I showed her SHIFT-CLICK short cut to turning handles on/off and then stood
aside to observe her. She was thrilled to discover that regular polygons
change into stars when alternate corners are moved towards center ('big
stick, little stick, big stick. little stick and so on'). But when she
discovered that  a 'triangle' could change into a 'circle' by increasing the
number of vertices, she got so excited and started jumping up and down in her
chair! It was a big 'aha' moment for her.

This is something that could not have been done with her play sticks. Squeak
is unique in its ability to enable such discovery processes.

 My daughter won't sit before a computer for more than a few minutes at a time
(except during 'aha' moments when she will keep repeating that action for
many minutes). Objects like star ('sticks') and the mixed curve ('dough'),
line ('rubber band'), in 3.9 make it easy for children to move smoothly
between real-world play and virtual play on Squeak. The Squeakland plugin is
much easier for children in many other aspects but misses out on such handles
in objects.

What does it take to see such upgrades in Squeakland plugin?

Regards .. Subbu