[Squeak5.3a][18828][Test][User] SqueakHelp Metacello Getting Started // ProfStef not known

[Squeak5.3a][18828][Test][User] SqueakHelp Metacello Getting Started // ProfStef not known

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I opened a recent Squeak5.3.a-18828 image.

     There is now a Metacello help together with a tutorial. Nice!
     I tested the tutorial.

     In the Getting Started Section after I have done

         ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').

     I am asked to do

         ProfStef goOn: MetacelloConfigurationTutorialPart1.

      Then I get a feedback that ProfStef is not known.

Question:
How would a fix look like?

Regards

Hannes

SqueakHelp_Metacello_Getting-Started.png (81K) Download Attachment

Re: [Squeak5.3a][18828][Test][User] SqueakHelp Metacello Getting Started // ProfStef not known

Hannes Hirzel
I checked again

Correct: Metacello help is NOT in the trunk.

It comes to the image through

      Installer ensureRecentMetacello

--Hannes

On 9/2/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm... there is Metacello help in Trunk. Maybe after you install Metacello?
>
> Best,
> Marcel
> Am 02.09.2019 17:29:44 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
> Hello
>
> I opened a recent Squeak5.3.a-18828 image.
>
> There is now a Metacello help together with a tutorial. Nice!
> I tested the tutorial.
>
> In the Getting Started Section after I have done
>
> ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').
>

> I am asked to do
>
> ProfStef goOn: MetacelloConfigurationTutorialPart1.
>

> Then I get a feedback that ProfStef is not known.
>

> Question:
> How would a fix look like?
>
> Regards
>
> Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][18828][Test][User] SqueakHelp Metacello Getting Started // ProfStef not known

Hannes Hirzel
However a retest showed that the

       Installer ensureRecentMetacello

is in conflict with the installation of the Metacello tutorial

      ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').

From a user point of view this is a problem.

--Hannes

P.S. I remember a recent discussion where to put

       Installer ensureRecentMetacello

At the moment I no longer see it in the 'do-Menu' but also I do not
find it in the 'tools' menu.

It is still in

      DockingbarMenu Help --> Extending the system

On 9/2/19, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I checked again
>
> Correct: Metacello help is NOT in the trunk.
>
> It comes to the image through
>
>       Installer ensureRecentMetacello
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 9/2/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hmm... there is Metacello help in Trunk. Maybe after you install
>> Metacello?
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel
>> Am 02.09.2019 17:29:44 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>> Hello
>>
>> I opened a recent Squeak5.3.a-18828 image.
>>
>> There is now a Metacello help together with a tutorial. Nice!
>> I tested the tutorial.
>>
>> In the Getting Started Section after I have done
>>
>> ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').
>>

>> I am asked to do
>>
>> ProfStef goOn: MetacelloConfigurationTutorialPart1.
>>

>> Then I get a feedback that ProfStef is not known.
>>

>> Question:
>> How would a fix look like?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][18828][Test][User] SqueakHelp Metacello Getting Started // ProfStef not known

Tobias Pape
The Metacello help, while with good intentions, is severely outdated.

Please disregards the "Getting Started" entry.

The way of using Metacello directly via ConfigurationOf… is de facto deprecated,
and all the other stuff there probably won't work, either (Metacello moved away from code.google.com quite some time ago).

If you look at the most recent version at github in this URL: https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/blob/master/repository/Metacello-Help.package/MetacelloHelp.class/class/gettingStarted.st
you see that it was last changed in 2012, when the "original" metacello was still active. _That_ version is what we use to install the current version (which used with the "Metacello"-class api, which supports Baselines and GitHub).

What do?

Change the Help and issue a Pull Request against https://github.com/Metacello/metacello :)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> On 02.09.2019, at 18:36, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> However a retest showed that the
>

>       Installer ensureRecentMetacello
>
> is in conflict with the installation of the Metacello tutorial
>
>      ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').
>
> From a user point of view this is a problem.
>
> --Hannes
>

> P.S. I remember a recent discussion where to put
>
>       Installer ensureRecentMetacello
>
> At the moment I no longer see it in the 'do-Menu' but also I do not
> find it in the 'tools' menu.
>
> It is still in
>
>      DockingbarMenu Help --> Extending the system
>

> On 9/2/19, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I checked again
>>
>> Correct: Metacello help is NOT in the trunk.
>>
>> It comes to the image through
>>
>>      Installer ensureRecentMetacello
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 9/2/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hmm... there is Metacello help in Trunk. Maybe after you install
>>> Metacello?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Marcel
>>> Am 02.09.2019 17:29:44 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I opened a recent Squeak5.3.a-18828 image.
>>>
>>> There is now a Metacello help together with a tutorial. Nice!
>>> I tested the tutorial.
>>>
>>> In the Getting Started Section after I have done
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').
>>>

>>> I am asked to do
>>>
>>> ProfStef goOn: MetacelloConfigurationTutorialPart1.
>>>

>>> Then I get a feedback that ProfStef is not known.
>>>

>>> Question:
>>> How would a fix look like?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][18828][Test][User] SqueakHelp Metacello Getting Started // ProfStef not known

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Tobias

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

> Please disregards the "Getting Started" entry.
>
> The way of using Metacello directly via ConfigurationOf… is de facto
> deprecated,
> and all the other stuff there probably won't work, either (Metacello moved
> away from code.google.com quite some time ago).
>
> If you look at the most recent version at github in this URL:
> https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/blob/master/repository/Metacello-Help.package/MetacelloHelp.class/class/gettingStarted.st
> you see that it was last changed in 2012, when the "original" metacello was
> still active.

I understand that this file

https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/blob/master/repository/Metacello-Help.package/MetacelloHelp.class/class/gettingStarted.st

(= the help text , HelpTopic code of the screen shot earlier in the
thread) is May 4, 2012. It is no longer valid.

BUT I do not understand what you write below

 _That_ version is what we use to install the current version
> (which used with the "Metacello"-class api, which supports Baselines and
> GitHub).

Is it something that you use an older version to install a newer version.... ?

ACTIONPOINT:

What do we need to do?

> We need to change the Help text and issue a Pull Request against
> https://github.com/Metacello/metacello :)

And thanks God it could be as simple as forking Metacello repo in
Github through the web interrface and then just change the text
through the github web interface and issue a pull request  to Dale H.
(all through the web interface, it is plain text).

But  we need to know what to put there. Maybe just a pointer to a
tutorial on the web?
Which one?

And: I am a little bit astonished that this 2012 issue was not caught
earlier ....

Best
Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][18828][Test][User] SqueakHelp Metacello Getting Started // ProfStef not known

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. Should we just refer to this tutorial

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1471
Metacello - Why do you need a package management system

A tutorial by Torsten Bergmann about Developer Mr. Bean writing a data
base driver package ...