[Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

[Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Hannes Hirzel
Hi

Last week I did the following test to get the refactoring tools into
the most recent Squeak 5.3

      0. Download and opten the most recent Squeak 5.3
      1. Open and update the SqueakMap - Browser
      2. Select Squeak version 5.2 -- 34 packages show
      3. Select refactoring tools
      4. Click on install and confirm that I aware that the
refactoring tools have
          not been tested yet for Squeak 4.3

Result:
       The refactoring tools load  fine.
       SUNIT tests for the AST package: all fine but 1
       SUNIT tests for the refactoring tools: The tests do not run
because of a deprecation
       warning.

Question: Who is currently maintaining the refactoring tools and where
is the active repository
      located?

Kind regards
     Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Hannes,

to my knowledge, the "most recent" version of refactoring tools can be loaded via Metacello:

Installer ss
project: 'MetacelloRepository';
addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
install.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load.

That project integrates "RefactoringBrowser" into Squeak's system browser:
The "Refactoring" and "AST" packages for "RefactoringBrowser" are located here:

In one of our most recent lectures, we provided images (5.3alpha #18492) with the following versions, which seemed to work fine:

Refactoring-Core-lr.158
AST-Core-lr.92
RefactoringTools-mt.3

Looking at the repository, there are newer versions to be reviewed. We should update the metacello script (ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) and maybe release 2.0.3 to be used in Squeak?

I will do some tests with the most recent versions in Trunk.

Best,
Marcel

Am 02.09.2019 13:41:14 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

[...]

latest versions of AST and Refactoring seem to work. Find attached a change set to fix all those deprecations.

I am not sure whether that repository is used by the Pharo project anymore. I will ask lr and eem about that.

Best,
Marcel

refactoring-fixes-squeak53.1.cs (2K) Download Attachment

On 9/2/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> to my knowledge, the "most recent" version of refactoring tools can be
> loaded via Metacello:
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
> install.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load.
>
> That project integrates "RefactoringBrowser" into Squeak's system browser:
> http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/RefactoringToolsForSqueak
> [http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/RefactoringToolsForSqueak]
> The "Refactoring" and "AST" packages for "RefactoringBrowser" are located
> here:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/rb [http://www.squeaksource.com/rb]
>
> In one of our most recent lectures, we provided images (5.3alpha #18492)
> with the following versions, which seemed to work fine:

> Refactoring-Core-lr.158
> AST-Core-lr.92
> RefactoringTools-mt.3
>
> Looking at the repository, there are newer versions to be reviewed. We
> should update the metacello script (ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) and
> maybe release 2.0.3 to be used in Squeak?

I think a release 2.0.3 would be fine ....

--Hannes

> I will do some tests with the most recent versions in Trunk.
>
> Best,
> Marcel
> Am 02.09.2019 13:41:14 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
> Hi
>
> Last week I did the following test to get the refactoring tools into
> the most recent Squeak 5.3
>
> 0. Download and opten the most recent Squeak 5.3
> 1. Open and update the SqueakMap - Browser
> 2. Select Squeak version 5.2 -- 34 packages show
> 3. Select refactoring tools
> 4. Click on install and confirm that I aware that the
> refactoring tools have
> not been tested yet for Squeak 4.3
>
> Result:
> The refactoring tools load fine.
> SUNIT tests for the AST package: all fine but 1
> SUNIT tests for the refactoring tools: The tests do not run
> because of a deprecation
> warning.
>

> Question: Who is currently maintaining the refactoring tools and where
> is the active repository
> located?
>

> Kind regards
> Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

timrowledge
A little while back I was recommended to load the refactoring tools with

Installer ensureRecentMetacello.

"Load refactoringbrowser"
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
        configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
        load.

Which seemed to work properly. I didn't do any particular testing as such. And of course, it's definitely a package that could do with a good Help doc.

Over the weekend I also loaded it with

Installer new merge: #maInstaller
MaInstaller new merge: #refactoringTools

.. which loaded fine (and seemed to do so much faster) but did load slightly higher-numbered versions of several packages. I was going to ask about that in the Installer thread but Chris has already mentioned that it just grabs the very latest head package, so no surprises there.

As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.

A quick couple of tests-
fresh 5.3 image(on my Pi3B+)
a) load metacello and rftools -> 6 minutes and includes metacello help (but an empty metacelloconfigurations help?) adds about 7Mb to the saved image size
b) load MaInstaller & rftools -> about 90 seconds and adds about 3Mb to the saved image. Oh, it doesn't load all the tests; that would explain some time/space things. A possible issue would the the non-loading of the Refactoring-Squeak-Platform package, which may result in some things not work fully?

tim
Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tim,

As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.

Even though I love and use the refactoring tools for development, they bring too much "weight" to the image and IDE for new and general, non-developer users.  In particular, it adds quite a few extra menu entries which are of only interest to developers doing development.  It's 10X easier for a developer to load the package than for a anyone to unload.    -1

A quick couple of tests-
fresh 5.3 image(on my Pi3B+)
a) load metacello and rftools -> 6 minutes and includes metacello help (but an empty metacelloconfigurations help?) adds about 7Mb to the saved image size
b) load MaInstaller & rftools -> about 90 seconds and adds about 3Mb to the saved image. Oh, it doesn't load all the tests; that would explain some time/space things.

The tests are separated into MaInstaller>>#refactoringTests, to be able to have a smaller footprint.  The official development is on the Metacello version, I'm not making any new versions or maintaining them.  Just using and enjoying the functionality.   :)

A possible issue would the the non-loading of the Refactoring-Squeak-Platform package, which may result in some things not work fully?

It's included in #refactoringTests.  Is it needed before the tests?  If so, it should be moved to #refactoringTools.

 - Chris

tim
Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

timrowledge

> On 2019-09-02, at 8:31 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.
>
> Even though I love and use the refactoring tools for development, they bring too much "weight" to the image and IDE for new and general, non-developer users.  In particular, it adds quite a few extra menu entries which are of only interest to developers doing development.  It's 10X easier for a developer to load the package than for a anyone to unload.    -1

I have considerable sympathy for your view, really. I suspect - based on a fairly quick scan of the code, nothing more - that quite a lot could be removed by integrating better into the core of Squeak. There seem to be plenty of classes duplicating extant functionality, at a guess as part of making the code fit many systems. And the integration into the browser menus is, frankly, horrible. Then again, there are *already* way too many poorly thought out menu entries in the browsers. I wish we had the resources to provide the refactoring assistance in a cleaner, better integrated, manner

tim
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in Silicon Valley

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

marcel.taeumel
Hi, all.

Should all be fixed in Trunk now. Load it like this:

Installer ss
project: 'MetacelloRepository';
addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
install.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.

The #stable symbolic version will work only after the release because Metacello matches "alpha" versions to previous versions. So 'squeak5.3.x' and 'squeak5.2.x' will match to "Squeak5.3alpha". .... -.-"

Best,
Marcel

Am 03.09.2019 06:56:26 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

> On 2019-09-02, at 8:31 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.
>
> Even though I love and use the refactoring tools for development, they bring too much "weight" to the image and IDE for new and general, non-developer users. In particular, it adds quite a few extra menu entries which are of only interest to developers doing development. It's 10X easier for a developer to load the package than for a anyone to unload. -1

I have considerable sympathy for your view, really. I suspect - based on a fairly quick scan of the code, nothing more - that quite a lot could be removed by integrating better into the core of Squeak. There seem to be plenty of classes duplicating extant functionality, at a guess as part of making the code fit many systems. And the integration into the browser menus is, frankly, horrible. Then again, there are *already* way too many poorly thought out menu entries in the browsers. I wish we had the resources to provide the refactoring assistance in a cleaner, better integrated, manner

tim
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in Silicon Valley

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Tobias Pape

> On 05.09.2019, at 10:43, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, all.
>
> Should all be fixed in Trunk now. Load it like this:
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
> install.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.
>
> The #stable symbolic version will work only after the release because Metacello matches "alpha" versions to previous versions. So 'squeak5.3.x' and 'squeak5.2.x' will match to "Squeak5.3alpha". .... -.-"

Yea, I wrote that ;P

> Best,
> Marcel
>> Am 03.09.2019 06:56:26 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> > On 2019-09-02, at 8:31 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Tim,
>> >
>> > As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.
>> >
>> > Even though I love and use the refactoring tools for development, they bring too much "weight" to the image and IDE for new and general, non-developer users. In particular, it adds quite a few extra menu entries which are of only interest to developers doing development. It's 10X easier for a developer to load the package than for a anyone to unload. -1
>>
>> I have considerable sympathy for your view, really. I suspect - based on a fairly quick scan of the code, nothing more - that quite a lot could be removed by integrating better into the core of Squeak. There seem to be plenty of classes duplicating extant functionality, at a guess as part of making the code fit many systems. And the integration into the browser menus is, frankly, horrible. Then again, there are *already* way too many poorly thought out menu entries in the browsers. I wish we had the resources to provide the refactoring assistance in a cleaner, better integrated, manner
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in Silicon Valley

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

marcel.taeumel
Well, then such compatibility fixes should rather happen in Squeak5.3beta. :-)

On 9/5/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, then such compatibility fixes should rather happen in Squeak5.3beta.
> :-)
> Am 05.09.2019 10:49:14 schrieb Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 05.09.2019, at 10:43, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> Should all be fixed in Trunk now. Load it like this:

"----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
" Load script for refactoring tools for Squeak 5.3a             "
"----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Installer ss
project: 'MetacelloRepository';
addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
install.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.

thank you Marcel and others for the updated script. Could somebody do
an independent test and confirm that this works indeed with a pristine
Squeak 5.3alpha
http://files.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak5.3alpha-18879-64bit/

How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?

>> The #stable symbolic version will work only after the release because
>> Metacello matches "alpha" versions to previous versions.

I understand that a load script for a _stable_ version of a package
for 5.3alpha takes the one for Squeak 5.2 release.

>> So 'squeak5.3.x'
>> and 'squeak5.2.x' will match to "Squeak5.3alpha". .... -.-"

I do not understand this conclusion.

> Yea, I wrote that ;P

Good to know. Is there a wiki pages which summarizes this 'fallback' behavior?

At the moment this search

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search?search=Metacello+version+number+matching&casesensitive=false&and=true

gives no result.

Regards
Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Tobias Pape

> On 08.09.2019, at 18:19, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 9/5/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, then such compatibility fixes should rather happen in Squeak5.3beta.
>> :-)
>> Am 05.09.2019 10:49:14 schrieb Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> On 05.09.2019, at 10:43, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, all.
>>>
>>> Should all be fixed in Trunk now. Load it like this:
>

> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
> " Load script for refactoring tools for Squeak 5.3a             "
> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
> install.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.
>
> thank you Marcel and others for the updated script. Could somebody do
> an independent test and confirm that this works indeed with a pristine
> Squeak 5.3alpha
> http://files.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak5.3alpha-18879-64bit/
>

> How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?
>

>>> The #stable symbolic version will work only after the release because
>>> Metacello matches "alpha" versions to previous versions.
>
> I understand that a load script for a _stable_ version of a package
> for 5.3alpha takes the one for Squeak 5.2 release.
>

>>> So 'squeak5.3.x'
>>> and 'squeak5.2.x' will match to "Squeak5.3alpha". .... -.-"
>
> I do not understand this conclusion.
>

>> Yea, I wrote that ;P
>

> Good to know. Is there a wiki pages which summarizes this 'fallback' behavior?
>
> At the moment this search
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search?search=Metacello+version+number+matching&casesensitive=false&and=true
>
> gives no result.

No, just the code itself:

https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/blob/master/repository/Metacello-Platform.squeak.package/MetacelloSqueakPlatform.class/instance/defaultPlatformAttributes.st

(commit: https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/commit/70f65aad349483d17447a5f2d91071f06b539469
)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Regards
> Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

marcel.taeumel
How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?

Installer ss
   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
   addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
   install.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load.

As soon as my SqueakMap account is working, I can also update that entry on SqueakMap.

Best,
Marcel

On 9/8/19, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 08.09.2019, at 18:19, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/5/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Well, then such compatibility fixes should rather happen in
>>> Squeak5.3beta.
>>> :-)

>> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
>> " Load script for refactoring tools for Squeak 5.3a             "
>> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
>>
>> Installer ss
>> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
>> install.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.
>>
>> thank you Marcel and others for the updated script. Could somebody do
>> an independent test and confirm that this works indeed with a pristine
>> Squeak 5.3alpha
>> http://files.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak5.3alpha-18879-64bit/
>>

>> How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?

>> I understand that a load script for a _stable_ version of a package
>> for 5.3alpha takes the one for Squeak 5.2 release.

>> I do not understand this conclusion.
>>

>>> Yea, I wrote that ;P
>>

>> Good to know. Is there a wiki pages which summarizes this 'fallback'
>> behavior?
>>
>> At the moment this search
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search?search=Metacello+version+number+matching&casesensitive=false&and=true
>>
>> gives no result.
>>

> No, just the code itself:
>
> https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/blob/master/repository/Metacello-Platform.squeak.package/MetacelloSqueakPlatform.class/instance/defaultPlatformAttributes.st
>
> (commit:
> https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/commit/70f65aad349483d17447a5f2d91071f06b539469
> )
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias

thank you

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2831

--Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Tobias Pape
Hi There

> On 09.09.2019, at 09:17, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?
>
> Installer ss
>    project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>    addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
>    install.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load.

I'd say that, if we use Metacello, lets use the new form consistently:

        Metacello  new
                "squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository'; "  "<-- this is the default for mcz-based Configurations"
                configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
                "verison: #stable; "  "<-- this is the default"
                load.

:)

> As soon as my SqueakMap account is working, I can also update that entry on SqueakMap.
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>> Am 08.09.2019 18:19:30 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On 9/5/19, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>> > Well, then such compatibility fixes should rather happen in Squeak5.3beta.
>> > :-)

>> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
>> " Load script for refactoring tools for Squeak 5.3a "
>> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
>>
>> Installer ss
>> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
>> install.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.
>>
>> thank you Marcel and others for the updated script. Could somebody do
>> an independent test and confirm that this works indeed with a pristine
>> Squeak 5.3alpha
>> http://files.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak5.3alpha-18879-64bit/
>>

>> How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?

>> I understand that a load script for a _stable_ version of a package
>> for 5.3alpha takes the one for Squeak 5.2 release.

>> I do not understand this conclusion.
>>

>> > Yea, I wrote that ;P
>>

>> Good to know. Is there a wiki pages which summarizes this 'fallback' behavior?
>>
>> At the moment this search
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search?search=Metacello+version+number+matching&casesensitive=false&and=true
>>
>> gives no result.
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Hannes Hirzel
I did a re-test and used as suggested for Squeak 5.3alpha

Installer ss
        project: 'MetacelloRepository';
        addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
        install.
 (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.

Result: This load script does not load the tests. So I can not say if
the issue with the deprecation warning is gone or not.

Particulars of the image below, and also the log output to the Transcript.

Result is that it loads fine.

Image
-----
/home/user28/Documents/Squeak5.3-18885/Squeak5.3alpha-18885-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/Squeak5.3alpha-18885-64bit.image
Squeak5.3alpha
latest update: #18885
Current Change Set: Unnamed1
Image format 68021 (64 bit)

Virtual Machine
---------------
/home/user28/Documents/Squeak5.3-18885/Squeak5.3alpha-18885-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/Linux-x86_64/lib/squeak/5.0-201810190412/squeak
Croquet Closure Cog[Spur] VM [CoInterpreterPrimitives VMMaker.oscog-eem.2461]
Unix built on Oct 20 2018 08:15:11 Compiler: 4.8.4
platform sources revision VM: 201810190412
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git Date: Thu Oct 18
21:12:21 2018 CommitHash: 15341b57 Plugins: 201810190412
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2461 uuid:
b3cd33f5-6309-43a1-b669-7a1805111f34 Oct 20 2018
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2464 uuid:
0b1fa0a3-a781-4fd5-b1cf-1809796ccbbf Oct 20 2018

Transcript log output

 found ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools-mt.5.mcz...
loaded

GoferVersionReference>>setName:(name is shadowed)
GoferVersionReference>>setName:(name is shadowed)
Fetched -> ConfigurationOfGofer-dkh.45 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfGofer-dkh.45 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Project: Gofer Core 1.0.5.1
Fetched -> Gofer-Core.squeak-dkh.135 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Fetched -> Metacello-Core-dkh.494 ---
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/dkh/metacello/main ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Fetched -> Metacello-Platform.squeak-dkh.17 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello ---
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/dkh/metacello/main
Loaded -> Gofer-Core.squeak-dkh.135 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello --- cache
Loaded -> Metacello-Core-dkh.494 ---
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/dkh/metacello/main --- cache
MetacelloSqueakPlatform>>downloadFile:to: (OSProcess is Undeclared)
MetacelloSqueakPlatform>>downloadFile:to: (OSProcess is Undeclared)
MetacelloSqueakPlatform>>extractRepositoryFrom:to: (OSProcess is Undeclared)
Loaded -> Metacello-Platform.squeak-dkh.17 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello --- cache
...finished 1.0-beta.31.1.8
Fetched -> ConfigurationOfHelpSystem-DaleHenrichs.13 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfHelpSystem-DaleHenrichs.13 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository ---
/home/user28/Documents/Squeak5.3-18885/Squeak5.3alpha-18885-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache
Project: Gofer Core 1.0.5.1
Fetched -> Metacello-ToolBox-dkh.130 ---
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/dkh/metacello/main ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Project: Help System 1.1
Fetched -> Metacello-Help-dkh.11 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello ---
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/dkh/metacello/main
Loaded -> Metacello-ToolBox-dkh.130 ---
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/dkh/metacello/main --- cache
Loaded -> Metacello-Help-dkh.11 ---
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello --- cache
...finished 1.0-beta.31.1.8
Fetched -> ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser-mt.79 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser-mt.79 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository ---
/home/user28/Documents/Squeak5.3-18885/Squeak5.3alpha-18885-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache
Project: RefactoringBrowser 3.0
Fetched -> AST-Core-eem.97 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
Fetched -> AST-Semantic-lr.15 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
Fetched -> Refactoring-Environment-mt.12 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
Fetched -> Refactoring-Changes-mt.24 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
Fetched -> Refactoring-Core-mt.164 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
--- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
Fetched -> Refactoring-Critics-mt.21 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
Fetched -> Refactoring-Spelling-mt.29 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb
Fetched -> RefactoringTools-mt.3 ---
http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/RefactoringToolsForSqueak ---
http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/RefactoringToolsForSqueak
Loaded -> AST-Core-eem.97 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- cache
Loaded -> AST-Semantic-lr.15 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- cache
Loaded -> Refactoring-Environment-mt.12 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- cache
Loaded -> Refactoring-Changes-mt.24 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- cache
Loaded -> Refactoring-Core-mt.164 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- cache
Loaded -> Refactoring-Critics-mt.21 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- cache
Loaded -> Refactoring-Spelling-mt.29 ---
http://www.squeaksource.com/rb --- cache
Evaluated -> Refactoring-Spelling >> postLoadRBSpelling
Loaded -> RefactoringTools-mt.3 ---
http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/RefactoringToolsForSqueak --- cache
...finished 2.0

On 9/9/19, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi There
>
>> On 09.09.2019, at 09:17, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?
>>
>> Installer ss
>>    project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>    addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
>>    install.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load.
>

> I'd say that, if we use Metacello, lets use the new form consistently:
>
> Metacello  new
> "squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository'; "  "<-- this is the default for
> mcz-based Configurations"
> configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
> "verison: #stable; "  "<-- this is the default"
> load.
>
> :)
>

>> As soon as my SqueakMap account is working, I can also update that entry
>> on SqueakMap.
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel

>>> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
>>> " Load script for refactoring tools for Squeak 5.3a "
>>> "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
>>>
>>> Installer ss
>>> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
>>> install.
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.
>>>
>>> thank you Marcel and others for the updated script. Could somebody do
>>> an independent test and confirm that this works indeed with a pristine
>>> Squeak 5.3alpha
>>> http://files.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak5.3alpha-18879-64bit/
>>>

>>> How will the load script look like after the release of Squeak 5.3?

>>> I understand that a load script for a _stable_ version of a package
>>> for 5.3alpha takes the one for Squeak 5.2 release.

>>> I do not understand this conclusion.

>>> Good to know. Is there a wiki pages which summarizes this 'fallback'
>>> behavior?
>>>
>>> At the moment this search
>>>
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search?search=Metacello+version+number+matching&casesensitive=false&and=true
>>>
>>> gives no result.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Hannes

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Tobias Pape

> On 09.09.2019, at 17:05, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I did a re-test and used as suggested for Squeak 5.3alpha
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
> install.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.
>

> Result: This load script does not load the tests. So I can not say if
> the issue with the deprecation warning is gone or not.

Try this:

Metacello new
        configuration: 'RefactoringBrowser';
        load: #('Core Tests').
> [...]

>>> As soon as my SqueakMap account is working, I can also update that entry
>>> on SqueakMap.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Marcel

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Tobias Pape

> On 09.09.2019, at 17:09, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 09.09.2019, at 17:05, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I did a re-test and used as suggested for Squeak 5.3alpha
>>
>> Installer ss
>> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
>> addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
>> install.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.
>>

>> Result: This load script does not load the tests. So I can not say if
>> the issue with the deprecation warning is gone or not.

Err:
this
> Metacello new
> configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
> load.

should read

Metacello new
        configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
        version: '2.0';
        load.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Metacello  new
>>> "squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository'; "  "<-- this is the default for
>>> mcz-based Configurations"
>>> configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
>>> "verison: #stable; "  "<-- this is the default"
>>> load.
>>>
>>> :)

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

timrowledge

> On 2019-09-09, at 12:53 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd say that, if we use Metacello, lets use the new form consistently:
>
> Metacello  new
> "squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository'; "  "<-- this is the default for mcz-based Configurations"
> configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
> "verison: #stable; "  "<-- this is the default"

If those are defaults then why not allow
Metacello new
        load:: 'RefactoringTools'
?
And I do hope the search for the configuration name is case insensitive.

tim
Any program that runs right is obsolete.

Re: [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Tobias Pape

> On 09.09.2019, at 18:46, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 2019-09-09, at 12:53 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd say that, if we use Metacello, lets use the new form consistently:
>>
>> Metacello  new
>> "squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository'; "  "<-- this is the default for mcz-based Configurations"
>> configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
>> "verison: #stable; "  "<-- this is the default"
>> load.
>
> If those are defaults then why not allow
> Metacello new
> load:: 'RefactoringTools'
> ?

The shortest variant do date is:

        Metacello new
                configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
                load.

> And I do hope the search for the configuration name is case insensitive.

That's not how it is supposed to work.

See, Metacello startet as classes that describe
        "configurations of software (ie, a bunch of MCZs) with dependencies" together with code to bootstrap everywhere because noone had metacello preinstalled.

When Dale started to support filetree-serialization and Git/GitHub, he found that the state of a directory (or working copy of git/whatever) served as the precise combination of (Monticello-ish) versions of packages. That's where the baselines come from.

He simplified things into the 'Metacello new ...' api.

When before he had the MetacelloRepository at SqueakSource to host all the single-class ConfiguraionOf... MCZs as a canonical way, for Git stuff, there was no such way (or not yet) to canonically look up ConfigurationOf/BaselineOf's for projects.

So when before it was

        Installer ss
                project: 'MetacelloRepository';
                addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
                install.
        (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools) project load: '2.0'.

It really said
- Locate the MCZ for RefactoringTools, which canonically is called "ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools", which canonically lives in http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
- install it so we get the class, canonically named "ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools"
- make it into a MetacelloProject instance (maybe with bootstrapping)
- load version '2.0' through the project.

The "complete" version for the new api would be:

Metacello new
        repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository';
        configuration: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
        className: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringTools';
        version: '2.0';
        load.

=-=-=

Note that Metacello now keeps a registry of installed projects, so if we would rely on the pre-'Metacello new..' behavior of checking whether all monticello-packages are at the desired version, Dale got us covered: just replace 'Metacello new' by 'Metacello classic'.

=-=-=

I suggest browsing around Metacello and MetacelloToolBox :)

------------------------------------

To answer the actual "why not `Metacello new load: 'RefactoringTools'`?", there are some reserved "actions" for metacello.
The easiest is "load", which, well, retrieves and installs the necessary software; but it got a companion "load:", where you can specify what _parts_ of the software you want. Remember Seaside:

        Metacello new
                configuration: 'Seaside3';
                smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
                "^--- lives somewhere else, not canonical"
                onConflictUseLoaded;
                "^--- explicit conflict resolution, yay"
                version: #'release3.2';
                load: #('OneClick' 'Security' 'Filesystem' 'Email' 'RSS' 'REST').
                "^--- specify the components you want"

Besides "load", there is
        - "get" to retrieve or refresh the class describing you project (ie, the ConfigurationOf or BaselineOf) but nothing else;
        - "fetch" to just download all necessary mcz-filed or git-checkouts or the like;
        - "record" to simulate a "load" but not acutally do it
and some other stuff to lock versions of projects in place.

The class comment on Metacello is quite extensive in that regard :)

Best regards
        -Tobias