SqueakFest and other events

Kim Rose-2
Dear Squeaklanders,

Several people have sent us email asking about plans for SqueakFest
2008, so I thought it would be helpful to share the current thinking
with the community.

You saw a few months ago that our most gracious host of past years,
Columbia College, has decided to take a hiatus from hosting
SqueakFest and allow for change and evolution of the event.  There
has been interest from a few institutions to host future gatherings,
including The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools which we find
exciting (and we do love Chicago).

In addition, MIT will host their first large-scale Scratch gathering
-- "Scratch@MIT" in July.  Please see http://scratch.mit.edu/
conference/ for more.   Given the overlap in community and interests,
we've decided to skip a summer SqueakFest this year helping those who
wish to attend the Scratch event to do so without conflict.  Several
of us from Viewpoints Research plan to attend; so it may prove a
great venue to gather, reconnect or meet new colleagues, etc., etc.

Additionally, I am excited to share that initial plans are underway
for SqueakFest 2009 -- and in '09 plans are afoot to hold this event
outside the U.S. --  in Brazil (!).  Now, and even more so in 2009,
Squeak Etoys will be in use by hundreds of thousands of children and
their teachers, etc. around the world.   Brazil is currently a
forerunner in pilot programs and collaborations between K-12 schools
and Universities, in after school community centers, etc., etc.  We
are exploring combining SqueakFest with a very well known and popular
"Ed Tech" Conference to provide even more leverage, exposure and
overlap of communities.

A small organizing committee has already been established to plan
SqueakFest '09.  If you are interested in participating please let us
know.  We will soon begin fundraising to enable presenter stipends
for travel.  Please let me know if you have ideas or contacts to help
with this fundraising effort, or if you work for a company that might
like to be a sponsor of the event, etc., etc.  We feel planning early
will help ensure the most successful event possible.

Please share this information with colleagues who may be interested
and might not subscribe to this mailing list.

thanks and cheers,
Kim

Re: SqueakFest and other events

Randal L. Schwartz

Kim> Additionally, I am excited to share that initial plans are underway for
Kim> SqueakFest 2009 -- and in '09 plans are afoot to hold this event outside
Kim> the U.S. -- in Brazil (!).  Now, and even more so in 2009, Squeak Etoys
Kim> will be in use by hundreds of thousands of children and their teachers,
Kim> etc. around the world.  Brazil is currently a forerunner in pilot
Kim> programs and collaborations between K-12 schools and Universities, in
Kim> after school community centers, etc., etc.  We are exploring combining
Kim> SqueakFest with a very well known and popular "Ed Tech" Conference to
Kim> provide even more leverage, exposure and overlap of communities.

If you can make it either the week before, after, or coincident with FISL 09
(probably mid-april), you'd get an even larger audience.  FISL attracts 5000
people.

I'm presenting Seaside-on-Squeak at FISL 08 as an invited speaker
in a few months.

And I'd love to be involved with SqueakFest in Brazil, even if it's not near
FISL.  Count me in!

RES: SqueakFest and other events

Marta Voelcker
Hello Randal and  squeakers,

This is good news! I am looking forward to meet you here in Porto Alegre and
to hear your presentation.

Any other squeaker coming to Porto Alegre, next April, to FISL 2008?

Whoever else is coming, please get in touch, this will be a great
opportunity to share our work in the OLPC trial school(Luciana de Abreu
School) and let our local team learn with you, and of course to explore
possibilities for Squeakfest 2009!

All the best,

Marta Voelcker

Enviada em: quarta-feira, 27 de fevereiro de 2008 17:37
Para: Kim Rose
Cc: Squeakland.org mailing list
Assunto: Re: [Squeakland] SqueakFest and other events

Kim> Additionally, I am excited to share that initial plans are underway for
Kim> SqueakFest 2009 -- and in '09 plans are afoot to hold this event
outside
Kim> the U.S. -- in Brazil (!).  Now, and even more so in 2009, Squeak Etoys
Kim> will be in use by hundreds of thousands of children and their teachers,
Kim> etc. around the world.  Brazil is currently a forerunner in pilot
Kim> programs and collaborations between K-12 schools and Universities, in
Kim> after school community centers, etc., etc.  We are exploring combining
Kim> SqueakFest with a very well known and popular "Ed Tech" Conference to
Kim> provide even more leverage, exposure and overlap of communities.

If you can make it either the week before, after, or coincident with FISL 09
(probably mid-april), you'd get an even larger audience.  FISL attracts 5000
people.

I'm presenting Seaside-on-Squeak at FISL 08 as an invited speaker
in a few months.

And I'd love to be involved with SqueakFest in Brazil, even if it's not near
FISL.  Count me in!

See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl
training!

Re: RES: SqueakFest and other events

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
Hi Martha and all,

Marta Voelcker escribió:
> Hello Randal and  squeakers,
>
> This is good news! I am looking forward to meet you here in Porto Alegre and
> to hear your presentation.
>
> Any other squeaker coming to Porto Alegre, next April, to FISL 2008?

Is very likely that I will be in FISL 2008, in fact may be I will be
doing a talk about Squeak a Collective Problem Solving (pretty similar
to the one in SqueakFest 2007) updated with minor additions.

> Whoever else is coming, please get in touch, this will be a great
> opportunity to share our work in the OLPC trial school(Luciana de Abreu
> School) and let our local team learn with you, and of course to explore
> possibilities for Squeakfest 2009!

Count me on! :)

Cheers,

Offray

Re: RES: SqueakFest and other events

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
> Marta Voelcker escribió:
> > Any other squeaker coming to Porto Alegre, next April, to FISL 2008?
> >

> Is very likely that I will be in FISL 2008, in fact may be I will be
> doing a talk about Squeak a Collective Problem Solving (pretty similar
> to the one in SqueakFest 2007) updated with minor additions.

I'll try to make it to FISL this year. Juliano Bittencourt wrote to me
about organizing OLPC related activies at this event and I mentioned
that I would be particularly interested in ones involving Squeak and
eToys.

I would love to help with SqueakFest 2009. The SelFest 2000 that I
organized (http://www.merlintec.com/selfest/e_index.html) had a pathetic
showing, but the nice event last December in Argentina shows that there
is a lot of interest down here.

-- Jecel