SqueakMap, Universes, Monticello - Lost in dependencies...

SqueakMap, Universes, Monticello - Lost in dependencies...

Markus Fritsche
Hello squeak.general,

it's the time of the year again - I am installing squeak, development
enhancements, seaside and persistence frameworks again, since the nights
become longer and everything flash-based device I have is already bricked...

I don't know how to put this in writing without being a troll!

What I observed is that it is very hard to find the latest (working)
packages within the tools provided (SqueakMap, Universe browser). For
instance, Magma: there are various Packages for Magma out there, called
Magma 0.9beta, Magma r40, Magma 1.0, Magma Tester (one of the most
popular packages on squeaksource) etc. pp. (Magma is just an example, no
insult to the maintainer!).

I am confused which packages to load for my yet-to-be-built development
image to work properly.

Am I doing something terribly wrong? If not, is this just
system-immanent or is there a way to (partially, fully) solve this? For
instance, I'm thinking of something like the debian popularity contest -
when somebody explicitly accepts it, his image configuration of
(unchanged) monticello-packages is sent to a server and registered as
"up and running, working" or "up and not running, DNU-hell!"?

If you think I'm wrong, please reply with "[TROLL] Rant of nobrainer" in
the subject line ;-)

Kind regards,
                maf

Re: SqueakMap, Universes, Monticello - Lost in dependencies...

Markus Fritsche
Markus Fritsche wrote:
> Hello squeak.general
squeak.beginners, it is (I decided to choose the newbies list since I'm
acting like a newbie, tbh).

Re: Re: SqueakMap, Universes, Monticello - Lost in dependencies...

Ian J Cottee-3
I've not used Seaside yet but does the web developer image at
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html solve your problems? Even
if it doesn't have everything you want it might make a better starting
point.

Ian

Ian J Cottee schrieb:
> I've not used Seaside yet but does the web developer image at
> http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html solve your problems? Even
> if it doesn't have everything you want it might make a better starting
> point.

Yep, it did. I still managed to kill three or four images by loading the
wrong software, but finally I got an image that works...

I'm reading about Universes and some of the dependency work done over at
Pharo. It seems like I still have to wait for the dependency snake oil :-)

Re: SqueakMap, Universes, Monticello - Lost in dependencies...

Ralph Johnson
On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Markus Fritsche
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I observed is that it is very hard to find the latest (working)
> packages within the tools provided (SqueakMap, Universe browser).

What you call "Universe Browser", I will call "Package Universe", or
PU.  SqueakMap is SM.

SM and PU are comparable.  SM is a lot older, and is nice because,
until a year or so ago, it had a pointer to pretty much everything
being distributed.  Montecello (MC) is different.  It is aimed at
development, not at distribution.  For a long time people used MC for
development and SM for distribution.  SM basically would point to a MC
repository with the version of the software you wanted.  I think it
was called "SqueakMap" because it would be a map to everything in
Squeak.

The problem with SM was that it had no dependency information.  It
would not try to load dependent packages, or even warn you that you
needed to load them.  You could read the comments of a package and see
if it advertised that it was built on another package, but it was a
pain to build a large system with SM.

PU was an attempt to solve this, but it went a long way beyond
dependency information.  Lex Spoon wanted a package universe to have
only packages that were known to work together.  Thus, there would be
many package universes.  Each one would be self consistent, but
packges from one universe might not work with those from another.  In
contrast, there was only one SM.

PU has been around for several years, but it didn't get popular until
it got used for 3.10.  its popularity had the obvious-in-hindsight
consequence of people putting their packages in it but NOT putting
them in SM.   So, SM no longer has the latest and greatest of
everything.  Moreover, PU tends to have lots of versions of each
package, which is entirely against the original purpose of PU, since
not all versions will work with every other.  In retrospect, PU should
have used SM to find the latest version of a package.  That would have
forced people to keep putting info in SM.

I am surprised that nobody has yet upgraded SM to do everything that
PU does.  That would be one solution to the problem.  Keith Hodges has
built something called Sake/Packages that lets you write scripts that
does everything that PU does, but that can do this upon SM, and has
proposed using this and SM instead of PU.  One of the reasons that PU
got off the ground was the Lex Spoon built a few universes, and then
he got some people to maintain them.  Perhaps someone needs to write
the Sake packages to get things started.

If you are using a fairly standard image, you should try using the
universe for the package and then complain to package authors when the
version of the package in it is out of date.  If you use SM, complain
to package authors when the latest version is not in SM.  The tools
are there, but people have to use them.  Certainly they can (and
should) be better.  But until they are better, we ought to use them as
best we can.

-Ralph Johnson

Ralph Johnson schrieb:

>> What I observed is that it is very hard to find the latest (working)
>> packages within the tools provided (SqueakMap, Universe browser).

> If you are using a fairly standard image, you should try using the
> universe for the package and then complain to package authors when the
> version of the package in it is out of date.

Thank you for the background, Ralph. Reading this makes the underlying
concepts a lot easier to understand and helps me finding the "do-s and
don't-s".

Regards,
        Markus

Re: SqueakMap, Universes, Monticello - Lost in dependencies...

keith1y

> got off the ground was the Lex Spoon built a few universes, and then
> he got some people to maintain them.  Perhaps someone needs to write
> the Sake packages to get things started.

Sake/Packages keeps up to date with the latest Development Universe
definitions (and 3.7 Universe), so things are already started.

The advantage of Sake/Packages being that if you find something that
doesnt quite work the way that you want, you can either fix it, and
contribute your fix back, because everything is "publically editable".
Either that or you can subclass and customise a definition for your own
needs.

Keith