SqueakMap packages

Squeak - Dev mailing list
How can I show all available packages in the SqueakMap Package Loader (Menu Apps->>SqueakMap Catalog)?

Right now, even after the update, it only shows 15 packages out of 817 available.

P.S. Squeak 5.3 64-bit, Windows 10.

Re: SqueakMap packages

timrowledge

On 2021-04-04, at 10:33 AM, Benoit St-Jean via Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

How can I show all available packages in the SqueakMap Package Loader (Menu Apps->>SqueakMap Catalog)?

Right now, even after the update, it only shows 15 packages out of 817 available.

In the SM window pop up the menu and untick the 'new safely available packages' option.

tim
Useful random insult:- Not all his dogs are barking.

Re: SqueakMap packages

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Apr 04, 2021 at 05:33:31PM +0000, Benoit St-Jean via Squeak-dev wrote:
> How can I show all available packages in the SqueakMap Package Loader (Menu Apps->>SqueakMap Catalog)?
> Right now, even after the update, it only shows 15 packages out of 817 available.
> P.S. Squeak 5.3 64-bit, Windows 10.

In the SqueakMap Package Loader, click for menu in one of the left
hand panes, and de-select the "New safely-available packages" option.

I can't explain the logic behind these options. I just turn them off.

Dave

Re: SqueakMap packages

Chris Muller-3
In the SqueakMap Package Loader, click for menu in one of the left
hand panes, and de-select the "New safely-available packages" option.

I can't explain the logic behind these options. I just turn them off.

It's been explained by the first paragraph of this page since 2011.

 - Chris

Re: SqueakMap packages

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 01:56:59PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> > In the SqueakMap Package Loader, click for menu in one of the left
> > hand panes, and de-select the "New safely-available packages" option.
> >
> > I can't explain the logic behind these options. I just turn them off.
> >

> It's been explained by the first paragraph of this page since 2011.
>
>    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182
>
>  - Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks, yes that is the proper reference.

I was not clear, when I said "can't explain the logic" I was referring
to the multi-select check box logic in the tool. There are five selectable
options ("Auto-installable packages", "new available packages", etc) so
my expectation would be that selecting two options would result in the
list displaying the OR of the two selections. As implemented it is the
AND of the selections, which does not produce a very useful result. That's
why I just turn them all off when I want to look for packages on SqueakMap.

I also tend to work in a trunk image, for which there are no new safely
available packages. So again, I just turn off all of the options in the tool.

Dave

Re: SqueakMap packages

Chris Muller-4
> I was not clear, when I said "can't explain the logic" I was referring
> to the multi-select check box logic in the tool. There are five selectable
> options ("Auto-installable packages", "new available packages", etc) so
> my expectation would be that selecting two options would result in the
> list displaying the OR of the two selections. As implemented it is the
> AND of the selections, which does not produce a very useful result. That's
> why I just turn them all off when I want to look for packages on SqueakMap.

Oh yeah, I totally agree, those UI toggles are confusing, and clumsy
even when you know what they mean.

> I also tend to work in a trunk image, for which there are no new safely
> available packages. So again, I just turn off all of the options in the tool.

I hope to have a client streamlined for all the use-cases, hopefully it
can be done fairly easily from scratch.  Something like the
SystemBrowser, with middle row of two buttons that toggle the list
between [ 5.3 | All ], where "5.3" is the one detected from the
SmalltalkImage field(s), and then a row of "Browse" and "Install"
buttons.  Everything just, there.