SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

timrowledge
After updating my swiki page on MQTT I attempted to update the SqueakMap stuff for the new version.

The first attempt to save the new release failed because of a connection timeout. A second attempt appeared to work, and after updating the catalogue the new version was listed in the in-image tool but not on the relevant webpage. Attempting to 'Edit Release' produced this error in the release tool text pane -
-----------
error occured retrieving http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/4340a66e-2296-48b7-9aa8-5305d303752f/files/install-MQTT4Squeak-Version24.st: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

server: nginx/1.14.0

date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 18:07:33 GMT

content-type: text/html

transfer-encoding: chunked

connection: keep-alive

set-cookie: SessionID=CEF4C614B7F7F868; path=/

content-encoding: gzip

The object you requested was not found on this server.
-------

I've tried adding another release and got the same error (except for the new version number in the filename). The relevant map.queak.org pages do not show any new data.

What have I broken this time? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't go trawling around the file structure...

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Noli me vocare, ego te vocabo = Don't call me, I'll call you.

Re: SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tim,

One thing that would help is to understand that the server is still
running on a very old version of Squeak (3.x), and that the
serialization takes longer than your local image's timeout setting.
So you can avoid the timeout error by increasing your timeout, or
just be aware of that to know it'll eventually get saved.

As for your 404, the instructions at the wiki:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180

instruct you to select "Create New Release" (step 8).  The additional
"Edit Release" step was put in only after you had changed the
SqueakMap client to default to the "template" script instead of the
script of the selected release.   I have since fixed that, so maybe we
can put the wiki instructions back.

But why did you think you wanted "Edit Release" to create a new
release?   If you edited your old Release to make a new version, then
the old version will become no longer available to those older
versions of Squeak.  Please keep your old versions around, and
instead, Create a New Release.

 - Chris

Done.

Re: SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

timrowledge

> On 2018-09-16, at 12:51 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> One thing that would help is to understand that the server is still
> running on a very old version of Squeak (3.x), and that the
> serialization takes longer than your local image's timeout setting.
> So you can avoid the timeout error by increasing your timeout, or
> just be aware of that to know it'll eventually get saved.

We can probably do better but obviously not at this stage of a release. Handling the timeout signal more 'politely' would be a good move if there is a good way to do that. Not knowledgeable enough about sockets to have a strong opinion though.

> As for your 404, the instructions at the wiki:
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180
>
> instruct you to select "Create New Release" (step 8).  The additional
> "Edit Release" step was put in only after you had changed the
> SqueakMap client to default to the "template" script instead of the
> script of the selected release.   I have since fixed that, so maybe we
> can put the wiki instructions back.
>
> But why did you think you wanted "Edit Release" to create a new
> release?

Ah, I didn't; just a poorly written explanation I guess. I used the Create New Release first time, got the timeout and then thought that editing that new release (which had been created so far as the 'update' was concerned) might allow me to do a kinda-sort retry, Obviously, it didn't.

So, let's try a new image and see what happens - SM updates the catalogue and does *not* have any of the new stuff included. That's probably good? Squeaksource is very slow to respond right now whether from Squeak or Safari, but has finally given me the mcz to load; loads ok. Create new release, fill in everything, save... completes without complaint. Update SM catalogue, includes new version. Excellent... except there's nothing on map.squeak.org so maybe something has messed up the image at squeakmap.

tim
Ignoranus (n): A person who's both stupid and an asshole.

Re: SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

timrowledge

> On 2018-09-16, at 5:46 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Create new release, fill in everything, save... completes without complaint. Update SM catalogue, includes new version. Excellent... except there's nothing on map.squeak.org so maybe something has messed up the image at squeakmap.

That's the bit that puzzles me today - the save completes with no errors, which seems to mean that the server image sent back a happy-happy response. Which surely ought to mean that it is indeed happy....

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 9) "A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"

Re: SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

Chris Muller-3

> > One thing that would help is to understand that the server is still
> > running on a very old version of Squeak (3.x), and that the
> > serialization takes longer than your local image's timeout setting.
> > So you can avoid the timeout error by increasing your timeout, or
> > just be aware of that to know it'll eventually get saved.
>
> We can probably do better but obviously not at this stage of a release. Handling the timeout signal more 'politely' would be a good move if there is a good way to do that. Not knowledgeable enough about sockets to have a strong opinion though.

We definitely will.  I'm working on a GraphQL framework in Squeak and
want its first project to be a hosting of the object returned by
SMSqueakMap default.

> > As for your 404, the instructions at the wiki:
> >
> >   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180
> >
> > instruct you to select "Create New Release" (step 8).  The additional
> > "Edit Release" step was put in only after you had changed the
> > SqueakMap client to default to the "template" script instead of the
> > script of the selected release.   I have since fixed that, so maybe we
> > can put the wiki instructions back.
> >
> > But why did you think you wanted "Edit Release" to create a new
> > release?
>
> Ah, I didn't; just a poorly written explanation I guess. I used the Create New Release first time, got the timeout and then thought that editing that new release (which had been created so far as the 'update' was concerned) might allow me to do a kinda-sort retry, Obviously, it didn't.

"Edit Release" only updates the Release entry, one of whose fields is
the downloadUrl, but it does not actually upload the file.  "Create
New Release" _does_ upload the contents of the lower pane as a .st
file, accessed by the #downloadUrl.

> So, let's try a new image and see what happens - SM updates the catalogue and does *not* have any of the new stuff included. That's probably good? Squeaksource is very slow to respond right now

squeaksource.com is also still hosted on a very old interpreter image.
After the 5.2 release I plan to work with Dave Lewis to get both
squeaksource.com and source.squeak.org both updated and running on the
same code base (which resides in the /ss repository).  Performance
will be improved and, hopefully, a solution to the scalability issues.
In the meantime, treating trunk with the respect it deserves by
committing only finished and tested code, is the best way to slow
further degradation.

> whether from Squeak or Safari, but has finally given me the mcz to load; loads ok. Create new release, fill in everything, save... completes without complaint. Update SM catalogue, includes new version. Excellent... except there's nothing on map.squeak.org so maybe something has messed up the image at squeakmap.

I will try to remember to make a video showing how to do it.  Once
learned, it really is quick and easy, and it works.

 - Chris

Re: SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

Chris Muller-3
> That's the bit that puzzles me today - the save completes with no errors, which seems to mean that the server image sent back a happy-happy response. Which surely ought to mean that it is indeed happy....

From what I see, the list of releases between website and in-image
browser are consistent.   7-version23 is the latest.  If you have 8-24
it's only in your image and you should re-do Create New Release after
selecting 7-version23.

Re: SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

Chris Muller-3
> I will try to remember to make a video showing how to do it.  Once
> learned, it really is quick and easy, and it works.

Deja vu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbfIGOuN_fI

Re: SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

timrowledge

> On 2018-09-19, at 10:50 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That's the bit that puzzles me today - the save completes with no errors, which seems to mean that the server image sent back a happy-happy response. Which surely ought to mean that it is indeed happy....
>
> From what I see, the list of releases between website and in-image
> browser are consistent.   7-version23 is the latest.  If you have 8-24
> it's only in your image and you should re-do Create New Release after
> selecting 7-version23.

That's what I did - several times so far - and indeed I've just stepped through it to see if anything appeared to be failing but got covered up by a mis-done error handler.

For every place where something is uploaded as part of the SMReleaseBrowser>>save I got back a response '200' saying all ok. So it seems logical to expect the uploaded install file to be on the map.squeak server, surely? It *should* be at http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/4340a66e-2296-48b7-9aa8-5305d303752f/files/install-MQTT4Squeak-Version24.st and there *should* be a 8-version24 entry in the list of selectable releases.

Except.... somewhere I ended up using the wrong password. With the right password, it works, which is of course good news, etc etc. BUT to get what seems a successful transaction with the wrong password, with no user level error raised... that's not good.

tim
Strange OpCodes: POI: Power Off Intermittently