SqueakSource down... again

12

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource down... again

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 21-02-2011 a las 19:25 +0100, Michael Haupt escribió:
> Hi,
>
> at HPI, we have a SqueakSource with a GemStone backend. The only downtimes we experienced were due to necessary maintenance.

I think the number of users that hit squeaksource.com vs HPS's own
everyday is a key factor in the perceived performance and net uptime of
each installation.

Cheers.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 21-02-2011 a las 10:28 -0800, Steven Baker escribió:
> FWIW, Git is a very generic system. There's no reason we couldn't
> write a storage adapter for MC that puts the repo in Git. Git only
> knows about objects, and the versions thereof. We could easily have
> Monticello on top of git.
>
> I'm not sure I think it's a good solution, but it sounds like
> something fun to hack on, if someone wants to join me. (I'm not doing
> a project I only peripherally care about all by my lonesome.)

But they work very differently. Git is a complete different beast that
MC is. They have distinct paradigms in how to deal with data in the
repo. They have in common that are distributed VCS but that is all. In
order to use git to its full potential (cheap branching, a
branch-per-feature development workflow, easy forking, security
auditable history, fast merging) it would be necessary to completly
forget about MC and to start from zero with a solution for smalltalk but
using git model/workflow in mind. A simple adaptor won't be using
smalltalk capabilities nor Git ones to its full potential and will not
get enough traction to survive.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource down... again

Tobias Pape
Am 2011-02-21 um 19:25 schrieb Michael Haupt:
> Hi,
>
> at HPI, we have a SqueakSource with a GemStone backend. The only downtimes we experienced were due to necessary maintenance.

… and I'm working on bringing that to Seaside 3.
When my examinations are over, I will release my results of that
projects :). It's almost done™.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource down... again

Michael Haupt-3

Am 21.02.2011 um 19:31 schrieb Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]>:
>> at HPI, we have a SqueakSource with a GemStone backend. The only downtimes we experienced were due to necessary maintenance.
>
> I think the number of users that hit squeaksource.com vs HPS's own
> everyday is a key factor in the perceived performance and net uptime of each installation.

Those SqueakSource standstills *never* occurred after we transitioned to the now-running installation. Before switching, we often experienced standstills as well. That's two simple facts, and the number of users does not play a role in this observation.

I do not know the precise number of accesses per day, but around the end of the semester, when students are supposed to deliver their projects, it gets "hot". (I believe that, this term, we had some 80 students in 16 teams.)

No freezes.

Best,

Michael

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Camillo Bruni
I'm in!

Max Leske, a student in bern started to write a git library for smalltalk. so there should be already quite some stuff available.
but AFAIK there is no MC adapter yet.

personally I would really appreciate that (also for other versioning tools).

- I like to choose my own tools
- I don't like to stick in a image-based world, but I certainly want to stay compatible
- I want quality!! and sending fileouts via mail is NOT

And it seems that this is a discussion which pops up from time to time, hence I would really appreciate this getting to work at some point in the near future.

Some links I will further follow tomorrow to address this issue:

- gitfs: http://buildinggitfs.blogspot.com/
        http://www.squeaksource.com/@KNo72_87ZPtfmMDX/OIzsRG2C
- gitocello: https://github.com/timfel/gitocello
- http://gsoc2010.esug.org/projects/pharo/squeak%20integration%20with%20git/mercurial/proposal
- git for squeak: http://www.squeaksource.com/@8Fz2hHOzNG-JG7LQ/kHiMji1K

m(^_-)m
camillo

On 2011-02-21, at 19:28, Steven Baker wrote:

> [...]
>>> - Yes, merging, etc. can be harder, but I think using a nice file format can lower this impact (and we are still supporting image-to/from-file merging).
>>>
>>> A couple of years ago some guys released SqueakSVN, as an alternative, but it failed to become an option... I think because SVN was already old at that time, and also because installation, etc. was hard, and also because it was an "incomplete" work, I think. Anyway... I'm doing this stuff because I need it, and I hope some others will consider it useful :)
>>> So... well... stay in touch ;)
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Esteban
>>>
>>> pd: yes... I know... I'm currently handling more projects than I can do... and that delays all my projects... but I'm doing my best, and any help is welcome :)

Re: SqueakSource down... again

abergel
> Max Leske, a student in bern started to write a git library for smalltalk. so there should be already quite some stuff available.
> but AFAIK there is no MC adapter yet.

I do not have much experience with Git, but do you think it is feasible to have such adapter?

Alexandre

> personally I would really appreciate that (also for other versioning tools).
>
> - I like to choose my own tools
> - I don't like to stick in a image-based world, but I certainly want to stay compatible
> - I want quality!! and sending fileouts via mail is NOT
>
> And it seems that this is a discussion which pops up from time to time, hence I would really appreciate this getting to work at some point in the near future.
>
> Some links I will further follow tomorrow to address this issue:
>
> - gitfs: http://buildinggitfs.blogspot.com/
> http://www.squeaksource.com/@KNo72_87ZPtfmMDX/OIzsRG2C
> - gitocello: https://github.com/timfel/gitocello
> - http://gsoc2010.esug.org/projects/pharo/squeak%20integration%20with%20git/mercurial/proposal
> - git for squeak: http://www.squeaksource.com/@8Fz2hHOzNG-JG7LQ/kHiMji1K
>

> m(^_-)m
> camillo
>
> On 2011-02-21, at 19:28, Steven Baker wrote:
>
>> FWIW, Git is a very generic system. There's no reason we couldn't
>> write a storage adapter for MC that puts the repo in Git. Git only
>> knows about objects, and the versions thereof. We could easily have
>> Monticello on top of git.
>>
>> I'm not sure I think it's a good solution, but it sounds like
>> something fun to hack on, if someone wants to join me. (I'm not doing
>> a project I only peripherally care about all by my lonesome.)
>>
>> -Steven
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Esteban,
>>>
>>> I look forward to testing it :)
>>>
>>> BTW, SqueakSource is not the problem for me (we have a HTTP repository). The MC speed is what bothers us most... I just responded in this thread since the idea was mentioned by Camillo. I know that other people are more attached to the "Smalltalk way" of doing things and prefer staying with MC, but I think we should seriously consider alternatives (as you apparently already do). I believe that closing the gap between the file-based languages and Smalltalk is possible without giving up too much...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Camillo Bruni
On 2011-02-21, at 22:52, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Max Leske, a student in bern started to write a git library for smalltalk. so there should be already quite some stuff available.
>> but AFAIK there is no MC adapter yet.
>
> I do not have much experience with Git, but do you think it is feasible to have such adapter?
>
> Alexandre

Actually I have no clue of the MC internals ;), so I will have to go deep there. At least there has been an approach using svn:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-September/131436.html

Although I have no clue how much this is still in use, or if it even works. But combined with the git communication libraries available it should be possible to patch them together.

I would like to see that happen, not just for me, but also to see more smalltalk sources on the web. The current google hit-ratio is a nightmare :D. And maybe it even helps to share some code with GNU smalltalkses or so.

m(^_-)m
camillo

>> personally I would really appreciate that (also for other versioning tools).
>>
>> - I like to choose my own tools
>> - I don't like to stick in a image-based world, but I certainly want to stay compatible
>> - I want quality!! and sending fileouts via mail is NOT
>>
>> And it seems that this is a discussion which pops up from time to time, hence I would really appreciate this getting to work at some point in the near future.
>>
>> Some links I will further follow tomorrow to address this issue:
>>
>> - gitfs: http://buildinggitfs.blogspot.com/
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/@KNo72_87ZPtfmMDX/OIzsRG2C
>> - gitocello: https://github.com/timfel/gitocello
>> - http://gsoc2010.esug.org/projects/pharo/squeak%20integration%20with%20git/mercurial/proposal
>> - git for squeak: http://www.squeaksource.com/@8Fz2hHOzNG-JG7LQ/kHiMji1K
>>

>> m(^_-)m
>> camillo
>>
>> On 2011-02-21, at 19:28, Steven Baker wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, Git is a very generic system. There's no reason we couldn't
>>> write a storage adapter for MC that puts the repo in Git. Git only
>>> knows about objects, and the versions thereof. We could easily have
>>> Monticello on top of git.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I think it's a good solution, but it sounds like
>>> something fun to hack on, if someone wants to join me. (I'm not doing
>>> a project I only peripherally care about all by my lonesome.)
>>>
>>> -Steven

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Max Leske
Camillo, actually Lukas did something with Monticello and my GitFS package called "MonticelloGit". There's only one version so far and I haven't looked at it but if anyone's interested, you can find the package on SqueakSouce: http://www.squeaksource.com/GitFS.html

Max

On 21.02.2011, at 23:35, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> On 2011-02-21, at 22:52, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>>> Max Leske, a student in bern started to write a git library for smalltalk. so there should be already quite some stuff available.
>>> but AFAIK there is no MC adapter yet.
>>
>> I do not have much experience with Git, but do you think it is feasible to have such adapter?
>>
>> Alexandre
>
> Actually I have no clue of the MC internals ;), so I will have to go deep there. At least there has been an approach using svn:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-September/131436.html
>
> Although I have no clue how much this is still in use, or if it even works. But combined with the git communication libraries available it should be possible to patch them together.
>
> I would like to see that happen, not just for me, but also to see more smalltalk sources on the web. The current google hit-ratio is a nightmare :D. And maybe it even helps to share some code with GNU smalltalkses or so.
>
> m(^_-)m
> camillo
>
>>> personally I would really appreciate that (also for other versioning tools).
>>>
>>> - I like to choose my own tools
>>> - I don't like to stick in a image-based world, but I certainly want to stay compatible
>>> - I want quality!! and sending fileouts via mail is NOT
>>>
>>> And it seems that this is a discussion which pops up from time to time, hence I would really appreciate this getting to work at some point in the near future.
>>>
>>> Some links I will further follow tomorrow to address this issue:
>>>
>>> - gitfs: http://buildinggitfs.blogspot.com/
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/@KNo72_87ZPtfmMDX/OIzsRG2C
>>> - gitocello: https://github.com/timfel/gitocello
>>> - http://gsoc2010.esug.org/projects/pharo/squeak%20integration%20with%20git/mercurial/proposal
>>> - git for squeak: http://www.squeaksource.com/@8Fz2hHOzNG-JG7LQ/kHiMji1K
>>>

>>> m(^_-)m
>>> camillo

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Philippe Marschall-2
On 02/21/2011 05:39 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2011, at 17:22 , Camillo Bruni wrote:
>
>> how about a file based system and git?
>
> yea, just discussed this very idea an hour ago...
>
> The simplest thing that could work:
> - Write out changes to files (for each method and class)
> - Use git to commit, push, pull, merge, etc.
> - After git actions, load changed files and compile

Been there, done that. Was called DVS, the predecessor of Monticello. It
sucked.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Geert Claes
Administrator
Chris Muller-3 wrote
>> how about a file based system and git?

-1.
Hang on, I think we may be missing the point here.  There is no need to all agree or come to a consensus as someone else mentioned here.  I would like to think that Pharo is open minded enough to accept other alternatives.  Alternatives are for everyones benefit because; e.g. if one repository goes down, there will be one or more alternatives.

So, it should not be an either-or question.  Wouldn't it be great if Smalltalk projects could be hosted on Squeaksource (new version will be called SmalltalkSource I believe) and/or e.g Github etc?

So, if you have an idea or gut feeling, just go for it, let your creative juices flow and innovate :)

Chris Muller-3 wrote
> - lower entry barrier for new people
SqueakSource is not the "barrier" keeping droves of people from Pharo is it?
It may not be "the" barrier but it probably would help for new people to see that at least they are already familiar with the version control system before trying to grasp the whole image and build-in IDE concept :)

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Igor Stasenko
On 22 February 2011 08:21, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/21/2011 05:39 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 21, 2011, at 17:22 , Camillo Bruni wrote:
>>
>>> how about a file based system and git?
>>
>> yea, just discussed this very idea an hour ago...
>>
>> The simplest thing that could work:
>> - Write out changes to files (for each method and class)
>> - Use git to commit, push, pull, merge, etc.
>> - After git actions, load changed files and compile
>
> Been there, done that. Was called DVS, the predecessor of Monticello. It
> sucked.

Can you give some details?
What were deliverables (if any)?
What was gone wrong?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Göran Krampe
On 02/22/2011 10:21 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 22 February 2011 08:21, Philippe Marschall
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> yea, just discussed this very idea an hour ago...
>>>
>>> The simplest thing that could work:
>>> - Write out changes to files (for each method and class)
>>> - Use git to commit, push, pull, merge, etc.
>>> - After git actions, load changed files and compile
>>
>> Been there, done that. Was called DVS, the predecessor of Monticello. It
>> sucked.
>>

> Can you give some details?
> What were deliverables (if any)?
> What was gone wrong?

Yes, Avi wrote DVS first, and then MC after that. DVS was the first
attempt to bring the "CVS style"
update-with-automerge-fixconflicts-commit cycle to Squeak.

Now, Colin could probably describe this better - I don't think I ever
used DVS - but my guess would be that the hassle of doing the merge
outside of Squeak was the biggest drawback. You will either spend a LOT
of code to try to reflect the merge into Squeak - or you will end up
sitting in a text editor doing conflict resolution on a "line by line"
basis in your fileout format of choice.

I don't want to put a damper on any kind of SCM efforts being made, but
I do think that it is quite hard (not impossible, but hard) to gain real
benefits of using outside infrastructure like for example git.

regards, Göran

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Sven Van Caekenberghe
I think that Monticello as it is today is pretty good. I remember working in Smalltalk without something like Monticello and it was a PITA. My first experiences with Envy were that it was very complex, hard to use and hugely overpriced.

The fact that we all hate it so much when SqueakSource is down means one thing: we use it a lot and we've come to depend on it. That is a good thing.

Now as some others have said many times on this list: this is free open-source software, nothing or very little will change by complaining, you have to do something yourself.

Anyway, putting it on a newer Linux based server (shouldn't have to cost that much) and adding some of the standard tools to monitor the process and reboot it if necessary will probably already help a lot.

Sven

Re: SqueakSource down... again

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Yanni Chiu
On 22/02/11 6:34 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Anyway, putting it on a newer Linux based server (shouldn't have to
> cost that much) and adding some of the standard tools to monitor the
> process and reboot it if necessary will probably already help a lot.

But simply rebooting the image may not be enough. IIUC, due to the image
based per persistence, some manual recovery is necessary in some cases.

Re: SqueakSource down... again

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 22 Feb 2011, at 13:54, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> On 22/02/11 6:34 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Anyway, putting it on a newer Linux based server (shouldn't have to
>> cost that much) and adding some of the standard tools to monitor the
>> process and reboot it if necessary will probably already help a lot.
>
> But simply rebooting the image may not be enough. IIUC, due to the image based per persistence, some manual recovery is necessary in some cases.

I read that too, but I can't imagine that the person doing the reboot does a lot of manual interventions regarding the data. The actual use of SqueakSource must be so massive that it is next to impossible to see if things are OK. But I am just guessing here.

Recently Tudor "missed" some commit (don't know what happened) so a script have to be run to ensure them again. So yes, is not just a matter of restart the image when is down

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource down... again

Hi michael

where can we find the code for such a GemStone backend source?

Stef
On Feb 21, 2011, at 8:43 PM, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 21.02.2011 um 19:31 schrieb Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]>:
>>> at HPI, we have a SqueakSource with a GemStone backend. The only downtimes we experienced were due to necessary maintenance.
>>
>> I think the number of users that hit squeaksource.com vs HPS's own
>> everyday is a key factor in the perceived performance and net uptime of each installation.
>
> Those SqueakSource standstills *never* occurred after we transitioned to the now-running installation. Before switching, we often experienced standstills as well. That's two simple facts, and the number of users does not play a role in this observation.
>
> I do not know the precise number of accesses per day, but around the end of the semester, when students are supposed to deliver their projects, it gets "hot". (I believe that, this term, we had some 80 students in 16 teams.)
>
> No freezes.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource down... again

Dale Henrichs
Stef,

I believe that the source is on SqueakSource in the squeaksource3 repository. This is a port of SqueakSource to Seaside3.0 that was done by Philippe, Tobias and James Foster...

Tobias mentioned that he was getting close t finishing things up in an earlier message.

Dale

On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi michael
>
> where can we find the code for such a GemStone backend source?
>
> Stef
> On Feb 21, 2011, at 8:43 PM, Michael Haupt wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> I think the number of users that hit squeaksource.com vs HPS's own
>>> everyday is a key factor in the perceived performance and net uptime of each installation.
>>
>> Those SqueakSource standstills *never* occurred after we transitioned to the now-running installation. Before switching, we often experienced standstills as well. That's two simple facts, and the number of users does not play a role in this observation.
>>
>> I do not know the precise number of accesses per day, but around the end of the semester, when students are supposed to deliver their projects, it gets "hot". (I believe that, this term, we had some 80 students in 16 teams.)
>>
>> No freezes.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource down... again

Stéphane Ducasse
> Stef,
>
> I believe that the source is on SqueakSource in the squeaksource3 repository. This is a port of SqueakSource to Seaside3.0 that was done by Philippe, Tobias and James Foster...

Thanks!.