SqueakSource down ....

12

SqueakSource down ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
I just noticed SqueakSource is down again.  It looks like this is happening more and more often now, what can be done?

Re: SqueakSource down ....

Stéphane Ducasse
We will have a server based on web dav hosted at inria to support pharo but we have to wait until sep I would say.
Then there is also the option to use a GemSource but we also have to sync with gemstone.

On Jul 21, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> I just noticed SqueakSource is down again.  It looks like this is happening
> more and more often now, what can be done?

Re: SqueakSource down ....

NorbertHartl
If there is an urgent desire to have another WebDAV share or the like than speak up. I could provide one. I think we can manage the load. Support could go from a WebDAV share to a complete virtual linux instance.

Norbert

On 21.07.2010, at 16:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> We will have a server based on web dav hosted at inria to support pharo but we have to wait until sep I would say.
> Then there is also the option to use a GemSource but we also have to sync with gemstone.
>
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Geert Claes wrote:
>

>> I just noticed SqueakSource is down again.  It looks like this is happening
>> more and more often now, what can be done?

Re: SqueakSource down ....

jfabry

Related to that, access to European servers from Latin-America is slow (we need to go through the US in general). It would be cool for the Argentinians and us if there was a LA mirror (read-only). I have a small machine (mac osx) that could be used for that. Would it be possible to set up something like this?

On 21 Jul 2010, at 16:12, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> If there is an urgent desire to have another WebDAV share or the like than speak up. I could provide one. I think we can manage the load. Support could go from a WebDAV share to a complete virtual linux instance.
>
> Norbert
>
> On 21.07.2010, at 16:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> We will have a server based on web dav hosted at inria to support pharo but we have to wait until sep I would say.
>> Then there is also the option to use a GemSource but we also have to sync with gemstone.
>>
>> On Jul 21, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Geert Claes wrote:
>>

>>> I just noticed SqueakSource is down again.  It looks like this is happening
>>> more and more often now, what can be done?
>>> --

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: SqueakSource down ....

Stéphane Ducasse
this would be great to have a mirror indeed.
I do not have the knowledge for that.
But if we go for a web-dav I imagne that rsync would do the trick.
Stef

On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Johan Fabry wrote:

> Related to that, access to European servers from Latin-America is slow (we need to go through the US in general). It would be cool for the Argentinians and us if there was a LA mirror (read-only). I have a small machine (mac osx) that could be used for that. Would it be possible to set up something like this?
>
> On 21 Jul 2010, at 16:12, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> If there is an urgent desire to have another WebDAV share or the like than speak up. I could provide one. I think we can manage the load. Support could go from a WebDAV share to a complete virtual linux instance.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> On 21.07.2010, at 16:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> We will have a server based on web dav hosted at inria to support pharo but we have to wait until sep I would say.
>>> Then there is also the option to use a GemSource but we also have to sync with gemstone.

> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: SqueakSource down ....

jfabry

OK lets talk about it when I visit you in sept.

On 21 Jul 2010, at 16:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> this would be great to have a mirror indeed.
> I do not have the knowledge for that.
> But if we go for a web-dav I imagne that rsync would do the trick.
> Stef
>
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Johan Fabry wrote:
>

>> Related to that, access to European servers from Latin-America is slow (we need to go through the US in general). It would be cool for the Argentinians and us if there was a LA mirror (read-only). I have a small machine (mac osx) that could be used for that. Would it be possible to set up something like this?
>>
>> On 21 Jul 2010, at 16:12, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> If there is an urgent desire to have another WebDAV share or the like than speak up. I could provide one. I think we can manage the load. Support could go from a WebDAV share to a complete virtual linux instance.
>>>
>>> Norbert

>> --
>> Johan Fabry
>> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: SqueakSource down ....

NorbertHartl
To set up a WebDAV is pretty easy. And you need a two-way sync. For this scenario unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) works pretty well. It keeps sync state on either side for each client-server combination. If you have one main server than you can sync in a star-scenario where every mirror syncs from the main server and this works really reliable.

The stability depends also on the stability of the machine. Servers under the desk of someones working place are usually less reliable then a hosting provider server :)

In my opinion the biggest problem is how you like to access this mirror and manage the list of available mirros. The ultimate way is when it happens transparently (one server is down means another one from the list of mirrors is taken). But this needs to be done in the client.  On the other side there is some list in some wiki that lists all mirrors. If you are lucky finding the page you find a mirror. To ease this it might be a good idea to assign hostnames like

de.mirror.squeaksource.com
cl.mirror.squeaksource.com

or anything similar.

Norbert

On 21.07.2010, at 22:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> this would be great to have a mirror indeed.
> I do not have the knowledge for that.
> But if we go for a web-dav I imagne that rsync would do the trick.
> Stef
>
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Johan Fabry wrote:
>

>> Related to that, access to European servers from Latin-America is slow (we need to go through the US in general). It would be cool for the Argentinians and us if there was a LA mirror (read-only). I have a small machine (mac osx) that could be used for that. Would it be possible to set up something like this?
>>
>> On 21 Jul 2010, at 16:12, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> If there is an urgent desire to have another WebDAV share or the like than speak up. I could provide one. I think we can manage the load. Support could go from a WebDAV share to a complete virtual linux instance.
>>>
>>> Norbert

>> --
>> Johan Fabry
>> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: SqueakSource down ....

how your server is backed up?
Then we should pay attention not to end u having multiple of sources around before we can deal with the mess
this may create.
We got the ok from inria for a webdav server (the problem was that from a security view point, having
an anonymous write was a no go. So now we will do
        - write only inbox
                - inputs are then checked to be only .mcz
                - then automatically copied to a readonly inbox
        - pharo* projects should be
                read and write for the people registered to the forge.

stef
On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:12 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> If there is an urgent desire to have another WebDAV share or the like than speak up. I could provide one. I think we can manage the load. Support could go from a WebDAV share to a complete virtual linux instance.
>
> Norbert
>
> On 21.07.2010, at 16:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> We will have a server based on web dav hosted at inria to support pharo but we have to wait until sep I would say.
>> Then there is also the option to use a GemSource but we also have to sync with gemstone.
>>
>> On Jul 21, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Geert Claes wrote:
>>

>>> I just noticed SqueakSource is down again.  It looks like this is happening
>>> more and more often now, what can be done?

Re: SqueakSource down ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
All this sounds pretty cool!  I don't want to be too pedantic or cause a ruckus but maybe at the same time a more "non-squeak only" name could be on the cards :D

To get the ball rolling I don't mind "SourceTalk" which could even be a subdomain at world.st like ar.st.world.st, de.st.world.st, jp.st.world.st, anyhow just an idea :)

Re: SqueakSource down ....

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> how your server is backed up?
> Then we should pay attention not to end u having multiple of sources around before we can deal with the mess
> this may create.
> We got the ok from inria for a webdav server (the problem was that from a security view point, having
> an anonymous write was a no go. So now we will do
>        - write only inbox
>                - inputs are then checked to be only .mcz
>                - then automatically copied to a readonly inbox
>        - pharo* projects should be
>                read and write for the people registered to the forge.

Great, this is only for Pharo or you want to mirror also Squeak projects ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: SqueakSource down ....

Stéphane Ducasse

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> how your server is backed up?
>> Then we should pay attention not to end u having multiple of sources around before we can deal with the mess
>> this may create.
>> We got the ok from inria for a webdav server (the problem was that from a security view point, having
>> an anonymous write was a no go. So now we will do
>>        - write only inbox
>>                - inputs are then checked to be only .mcz
>>                - then automatically copied to a readonly inbox
>>        - pharo* projects should be
>>                read and write for the people registered to the forge.
>

> Great, this is only for Pharo or you want to mirror also Squeak projects ?

We do not know. For now at least the Pharo* repositories and the ones that are central XML-....
Ideally I would prefer to have everything in the same place and we have no problem hosting squeak projects.
Now what is more important is build a kind of process to clean projects, there are a lot of projects which got created
but
        - were never really used
        - are students code exercises
So may be starting with a metacello config for every working one could be a start.

The problem is that you lose all the nice aspects of squeak-source: UI to manage the commiters.....
So we should check with the effort of dale and philippe and others on the gemstone version of squeaksource.

Re: SqueakSource down ....

NorbertHartl
The server is backed up at the hosting provider using duplicity (http://duplicity.nongnu.org/). We have a 100GB space for backups but I need to increase this anyway. As far as I know they use a tape-robot for archival. How much data are we speaking of?

Norbert

On 22.07.2010, at 09:10, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> how your server is backed up?
> Then we should pay attention not to end u having multiple of sources around before we can deal with the mess
> this may create.
> We got the ok from inria for a webdav server (the problem was that from a security view point, having
> an anonymous write was a no go. So now we will do
> - write only inbox
> - inputs are then checked to be only .mcz
> - then automatically copied to a readonly inbox
> - pharo* projects should be
> read and write for the people registered to the forge.
>
> stef
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:12 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> If there is an urgent desire to have another WebDAV share or the like than speak up. I could provide one. I think we can manage the load. Support could go from a WebDAV share to a complete virtual linux instance.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> On 21.07.2010, at 16:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> We will have a server based on web dav hosted at inria to support pharo but we have to wait until sep I would say.
>>> Then there is also the option to use a GemSource but we also have to sync with gemstone.

Re: SqueakSource down ....

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> how your server is backed up?
>>> Then we should pay attention not to end u having multiple of sources around before we can deal with the mess
>>> this may create.
>>> We got the ok from inria for a webdav server (the problem was that from a security view point, having
>>> an anonymous write was a no go. So now we will do
>>>        - write only inbox
>>>                - inputs are then checked to be only .mcz
>>>                - then automatically copied to a readonly inbox
>>>        - pharo* projects should be
>>>                read and write for the people registered to the forge.
>>

>> Great, this is only for Pharo or you want to mirror also Squeak projects ?
>
> We do not know. For now at least the Pharo* repositories and the ones that are central XML-....
> Ideally I would prefer to have everything in the same place and we have no problem hosting squeak projects.
> Now what is more important is build a kind of process to clean projects, there are a lot of projects which got created
> but
>        - were never really used
>        - are students code exercises
> So may be starting with a metacello config for every working one could be a start.
>
> The problem is that you lose all the nice aspects of squeak-source: UI to manage the commiters.....
> So we should check with the effort of dale and philippe and others on the gemstone version of squeaksource.

Yes sure there is a lot of trash in the SqueakSource repository. Maybe
we could organize the repository in the front page the way github
(http://github.com/explore ) are doing. What is important to see are
the most active projects ;-)
A lot of functionalities could be copied from github i guess. What
could be nice also is to be able to see a MC repository as a git
repository. I dunno if it's feasible, but it could give a lot of
exposure in the open-source community to Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk
projects than today.

Thank you for what you are doing for the community.
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: SqueakSource down ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
Serge Stinckwich-2 wrote
Yes sure there is a lot of trash in the SqueakSource repository. Maybe we could organize the repository in the front page the way github (http://github.com/explore ) are doing. What is important to see are
the most active projects ;-)

A lot of functionalities could be copied from github i guess. What could be nice also is to be able to see a MC repository as a git repository. I dunno if it's feasible, but it could give a lot of exposure in the open-source community to Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk projects than today.
I would also stick with one common term as apposed to "project" vs "repository" and out of those 2 "repository" probably makes the most sense.  There is probably not much added value of having "groups" or "teams" either.

Re: SqueakSource down ....

NorbertHartl

On 22.07.2010, at 09:19, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> how your server is backed up?
>>> Then we should pay attention not to end u having multiple of sources around before we can deal with the mess
>>> this may create.
>>> We got the ok from inria for a webdav server (the problem was that from a security view point, having
>>> an anonymous write was a no go. So now we will do
>>>       - write only inbox
>>>               - inputs are then checked to be only .mcz
>>>               - then automatically copied to a readonly inbox
>>>       - pharo* projects should be
>>>               read and write for the people registered to the forge.
>>

>> Great, this is only for Pharo or you want to mirror also Squeak projects ?
>
> We do not know. For now at least the Pharo* repositories and the ones that are central XML-....
> Ideally I would prefer to have everything in the same place and we have no problem hosting squeak projects.
> Now what is more important is build a kind of process to clean projects, there are a lot of projects which got created
> but
> - were never really used
> - are students code exercises
> So may be starting with a metacello config for every working one could be a start.
>
> The problem is that you lose all the nice aspects of squeak-source: UI to manage the commiters.....
> So we should check with the effort of dale and philippe and others on the gemstone version of squeaksource.

I don't think you loose anything. You need to separate write and read. You still create a project on squeaksource and this creates a WebDav directory for it. If the mirrors sync than this project is replicated to all other mirrors. From this point in time a client can just use a list of mirrors to fetch the source from a different server if the master is down. It is easy as this. No need to install squeaksource on the mirrors. This scenario even applies if you take the gemstone based squeaksource into account. To me it is really just a matter of who is doing the failover handling: user or client.

Norbert

Re: SqueakSource down ....

Geert Claes
Administrator
and a integrated Issue Tracker would be the icing on the cake :)

Re: SqueakSource down ....

> Yes sure there is a lot of trash in the SqueakSource repository. Maybe
> we could organize the repository in the front page the way github
> (http://github.com/explore ) are doing. What is important to see are
> the most active projects ;-)

if somebody has the time.

> A lot of functionalities could be copied from github i guess. What
> could be nice also is to be able to see a MC repository as a git
> repository. I dunno if it's feasible, but it could give a lot of
> exposure in the open-source community to Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk
> projects than today.

I know that people are working on using git to store code.
Now I do not know more.

> Thank you for what you are doing for the community.
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: SqueakSource down ....

ok thanks for the explanation.
Now I do not know who have the time to build such a set up.
If we can prototype a version then
we could after offer to have it maintain by the inria engineers and this is good because
it will reinforce also our presence inside.

>>> Great, this is only for Pharo or you want to mirror also Squeak projects ?
>>
>> We do not know. For now at least the Pharo* repositories and the ones that are central XML-....
>> Ideally I would prefer to have everything in the same place and we have no problem hosting squeak projects.
>> Now what is more important is build a kind of process to clean projects, there are a lot of projects which got created
>> but
>> - were never really used
>> - are students code exercises
>> So may be starting with a metacello config for every working one could be a start.
>>
>> The problem is that you lose all the nice aspects of squeak-source: UI to manage the commiters.....
>> So we should check with the effort of dale and philippe and others on the gemstone version of squeaksource.
>>
> I don't think you loose anything. You need to separate write and read. You still create a project on squeaksource and this creates a WebDav directory for it. If the mirrors sync than this project is replicated to all other mirrors. From this point in time a client can just use a list of mirrors to fetch the source from a different server if the master is down. It is easy as this. No need to install squeaksource on the mirrors. This scenario even applies if you take the gemstone based squeaksource into account. To me it is really just a matter of who is doing the failover handling: user or client.
>
> Norbert

Re: SqueakSource down ....

NorbertHartl
Would be nice if there would be a few people discussing the trade-offs. As my current project comes slowly to an end I will find some time to be active in this.

My proposal would go like this:

- the most important thing to achieve is to have sources of projects available
- in the beginning we can live with a setup that might be a "little" cumbersome to use

A first solution that is easy to set up and that is reliable is:

- www.squeaksource.com is the master where all projects are created
- mirrors copy source files via rsync to distant machines and provide WebDAV shares with the same directory layout as squeaksource
- squeaksources WebDAV is read-write while the mirrors WebDAVs are read-only. This way rsync is already the best choice. There can be only data transfered from squeaksource to a mirror

What use case will be feasible:

- a user searches for a project on squeaksource and copies the MC http repository snippet in his monticello browser
- now the user has the central read-write location at his side.
- if squeaksource is down a user picks another http repository from a list of mirros, enters it in monticello and downloads source from the new location
- if the user is a developer and wants to store a project change now gets an error if he tries to store it on the mirror. The developer than just clicks on the central location and stores it there

Things to solve:

- where is the list of mirrors maintained
- how would tools like metacello copy with different locations. I know there is support for alternate locations but AFAIK only if there are placed inside the ConfigurationOfxxx. I don't think it is an option to put in mirror locations in the ConfigurationOfxxx.
- files can still be uploaded to squeaksource more or less "anonymously" which interferes with inria policies

So far...

Norbert

On 22.07.2010, at 10:08, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> ok thanks for the explanation.
> Now I do not know who have the time to build such a set up.
> If we can prototype a version then
> we could after offer to have it maintain by the inria engineers and this is good because
> it will reinforce also our presence inside.

>>> We do not know. For now at least the Pharo* repositories and the ones that are central XML-....
>>> Ideally I would prefer to have everything in the same place and we have no problem hosting squeak projects.
>>> Now what is more important is build a kind of process to clean projects, there are a lot of projects which got created
>>> but
>>> - were never really used
>>> - are students code exercises
>>> So may be starting with a metacello config for every working one could be a start.
>>>
>>> The problem is that you lose all the nice aspects of squeak-source: UI to manage the commiters.....
>>> So we should check with the effort of dale and philippe and others on the gemstone version of squeaksource.
>>>
>> I don't think you loose anything. You need to separate write and read. You still create a project on squeaksource and this creates a WebDav directory for it. If the mirrors sync than this project is replicated to all other mirrors. From this point in time a client can just use a list of mirrors to fetch the source from a different server if the master is down. It is easy as this. No need to install squeaksource on the mirrors. This scenario even applies if you take the gemstone based squeaksource into account. To me it is really just a matter of who is doing the failover handling: user or client.
>>
>> Norbert

Re: SqueakSource down ....

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks for the analysis.
Let us what other things.

We will really hosted and use the inria infrastructure for the key elements in the future. Now I will ask them mid august when we
can have it.
but I like the idea of mirroring.

12