SqueakVM on Ubuntu 64 bits

Leandro Juarez
Hi. I'm having little trouble trying to install the squeakVM (4.0) on Ubuntu 64bits. i just tried from the testing channel only.

on the ubuntu repository there's only version 3

any idea how/where to download?

many thanks in advance.

--
Leandro Juarez

Re: SqueakVM on Ubuntu 64 bits

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 08:28:39PM -0300, Leandro Juarez wrote:

> Hi. I'm having little trouble trying to install the squeakVM (4.0) on Ubuntu
> 64bits. i just tried from the testing channel only.
>
> deb http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ x main
> deb-src http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ x main
>
> on the ubuntu repository there's only version 3
>
> any idea how/where to download?
>
> many thanks in advance.

Hi Leandro,

There is a brand new Unix VM that has just been released, and that
contains many improvements. I suggest that you go to this web site
and download the latest version:

  http://squeakvm.org/unix

This updated version of the VM has not yet made its way into general
distribution, but I think that you will find it to be the best available
version.

This VM is compiled as a 32-bit executable, which means that you will
need to install various 32-bit runtime libraries on your system in
order for everything to work. The VM can of course also be compiled
as a 64-bit executable, but some of the features for multimedia do
not yet work in 64-bit mode, so overall it is best to use the 32-bit
VM even if you are on a 64-bit Ubuntu system.

Dave

Re: SqueakVM on Ubuntu 64 bits

Leandro Juarez
Many thanks for your info Dave!

I'll try to install it using the 32 bits vm manually. any news i'll let the list know about it. :)

cheers

L.-