Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

senTalker
Hello fellow Squeak/Pharo users,

at work I find stack-overflow a quite valuable resource whenever I get
stuck with something (Java, Ruby, Unix, etc.).

What do you think about the idea of using it more, so that:

- people starting with Smalltalk can find answers there apart from
digging in the mailing-lists
- raising the awareness/mind-share about open-source Smalltalk in the
"outside world"?

I for one will try to double-post my questions both in the
corresponding mailing lists and stack-overflow, and whenever I find
good information that might be helpful for newcomers, I'll try to post
it there also.

It might help attracting more people to open-source Smalltalk and gain
more acceptance in the industry.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Re: Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-12-03, at 13:14, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello fellow Squeak/Pharo users,
>
> at work I find stack-overflow a quite valuable resource whenever I get
> stuck with something (Java, Ruby, Unix, etc.).
>
> What do you think about the idea of using it more, so that:
>
> - people starting with Smalltalk can find answers there apart from
> digging in the mailing-lists
> - raising the awareness/mind-share about open-source Smalltalk in the
> "outside world"?
>
> I for one will try to double-post my questions both in the
> corresponding mailing lists and stack-overflow, and whenever I find
> good information that might be helpful for newcomers, I'll try to post
> it there also.
>
> It might help attracting more people to open-source Smalltalk and gain
> more acceptance in the industry.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sebastian

Sounds good - why not? :)

- Bert -

Re: Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

Hannes Hirzel
Sebastian,

Yes, I think cross-posting is a good idea.
And I suggest that you post to Stackoverflow first and then invite
people from the Squeak list to contribute.

The answers on stackoverflow are indexed in a better way than in this
mailing list.

Note aside: good keywords in mailing lists posts also help to identify
an answer in the archive.

There are quite a number of Squeak related questions

   http://stackoverflow.com/search?q=squeak

--Hannes

On 12/3/12, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-12-03, at 13:14, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello fellow Squeak/Pharo users,
>>
>> at work I find stack-overflow a quite valuable resource whenever I get
>> stuck with something (Java, Ruby, Unix, etc.).
>>
>> What do you think about the idea of using it more, so that:
>>
>> - people starting with Smalltalk can find answers there apart from
>> digging in the mailing-lists
>> - raising the awareness/mind-share about open-source Smalltalk in the
>> "outside world"?
>>
>> I for one will try to double-post my questions both in the
>> corresponding mailing lists and stack-overflow, and whenever I find
>> good information that might be helpful for newcomers, I'll try to post
>> it there also.
>>
>> It might help attracting more people to open-source Smalltalk and gain
>> more acceptance in the industry.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> Sounds good - why not? :)
>
> - Bert -

Re: Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

senTalker
So far the reactions have been positive. I am (positively) surprised :-)
I want to cross-post (squeak/pharo) these in particular.

2012/12/3 Camillo Bruni:
> yes!! very important! smalltalk has too little presence in the web!

Yes, unfortunately. But we can change that ;-)

2012/12/3 H. Hirzel:
> Yes, I think cross-posting is a good idea.
> And I suggest that you post to Stackoverflow first and then invite
> people from the Squeak list to contribute.

Good idea.

> The answers on stackoverflow are indexed in a better way than in this
> mailing list.
> Note aside: good keywords in mailing lists posts also help to identify
> an answer in the archive.

Didn't think of that, good point. I tend to write too much rather than
too little anyway :-)

Thanks all of you for your feedback,

Sebastian

Re: Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

Alan Gauld
On 03/12/12 14:29, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Sounds good - why not? :)

For the same reason unnecessary cross posting of any kind is bad - the
very people you most want to help you will subscribe to both and get
p****d off at reading everything twice. Pretty soon you wind up on their
kill list (mental or electronic - hopefully not literal!).

OTOH it might work to advertise Smalltalk if that's all you want to
accomplish.

FWIW I read this list via gmane news rather than as a mailing
list... That gives me pretty good archive/search facilities.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site