Starting Croquet on image startup

Jens Pall
Hi

How would I go about starting Croquet when the image starts up and
having it occupy the whole window, i.e. maximized to the whole image window?

I would also like to disable the halos for the main croquet window in
order to prevent the user from accidentally messing things up - the
user's environment is the 3D world, not the 2D world in the background,
and he wants to stay there. Is this possible?

I have been trying to read about morphic to figure out these things on
my own but the morphic documentation I have found is just too incomplete
and has too many holes in it for my patience to cope with. Trying to
fill in the holes from all over the place just drives me crazy so I
always give up in the end. Also, this is not what I want to spend my
time on.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

Re: Starting Croquet on image startup

Bert Freudenberg
On Apr 15, 2007, at 15:26 , Jens Pall wrote:

> Hi
>
> How would I go about starting Croquet when the image starts up and
> having it occupy the whole window, i.e. maximized to the whole
> image window?
>
> I would also like to disable the halos for the main croquet window
> in order to prevent the user from accidentally messing things up -
> the user's environment is the 3D world, not the 2D world in the
> background, and he wants to stay there. Is this possible?
>
> I have been trying to read about morphic to figure out these things
> on my own but the morphic documentation I have found is just too
> incomplete and has too many holes in it for my patience to cope
> with. Trying to fill in the holes from all over the place just
> drives me crazy so I always give up in the end. Also, this is not
> what I want to spend my time on.
>
> Any help appreciated.

The usual Smalltalk way to do this is to just launch your "app" and
set everything to your liking, then save the image. When you start
the image, everything is already there. As an added benefit, startup
time can be shorter than on other systems which will create all
needed objects each time you run the program.

This used to work with Croquet too, but I have not tried it with
recent versions.

Additionally, you can register a class to be sent the #startUp:
message when the image starts up, to do some initialization that is
needed on every startup.

Alternatively, you could "launch" your app in this startUp method.

Disabling halos etc. is called "locking down" the image, one
reference just found with google is

        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2007, at 15:26 , Jens Pall wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> How would I go about starting Croquet when the image starts up and
>> having it occupy the whole window, i.e. maximized to the whole image
>> window?
>>
>> I would also like to disable the halos for the main croquet window in
>> order to prevent the user from accidentally messing things up - the
>> user's environment is the 3D world, not the 2D world in the
>> background, and he wants to stay there. Is this possible?
>>
>> I have been trying to read about morphic to figure out these things on
>> my own but the morphic documentation I have found is just too
>> incomplete and has too many holes in it for my patience to cope with.
>> Trying to fill in the holes from all over the place just drives me
>> crazy so I always give up in the end. Also, this is not what I want to
>> spend my time on.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> The usual Smalltalk way to do this is to just launch your "app" and set
> everything to your liking, then save the image. When you start the
> image, everything is already there. As an added benefit, startup time
> can be shorter than on other systems which will create all needed
> objects each time you run the program.
>
> This used to work with Croquet too, but I have not tried it with recent
> versions.
>
> Additionally, you can register a class to be sent the #startUp: message
> when the image starts up, to do some initialization that is needed on
> every startup.
>
> Alternatively, you could "launch" your app in this startUp method.
>
> Disabling halos etc. is called "locking down" the image, one reference
> just found with google is
>
>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518
>
> - Bert -

Thanks Bert, but this does not work. It fails when calling
glLoadTransposeMatrixf. The image semi-locks up, eventually emitting a
buffer overflow warning if you keep pounding on it.

I was kind of looking for a way to launch the Croquet window using only
a script and not having to drag a window out from the object tray.
Surely this is possible?

Regarding the halos I had forgotten that the lock down should remove
them. The last time I tried to lock an image down it did not work too
well - will try it again sometime. Thanks for reminding me.

JP