Starting Seaside Gems in GS 3.2.8.1

Alejandro Zuzek
I have just migrated from GS 3.1.0.4 to GS 3.2.8.1 (I followed the procedure, including running upgradeImage and upgradeSeasideImage scripts). In 3.1.0.4  I would start the Seaside gems with this command:

runSeasideGems30 start WAFastCGIAdaptor "9001 9002 9003"

When I run the same command in the 3.2.8.1 version, the Gems don't start and in the start logs (for instance in WAFastCGIAdaptor_start-9003.log) I see this error:

a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems class does not understand  #'startGemServerOn:'

Furthermore, in the new versión while the class WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems exists, it doesn't have any methods at all.

In the upgradeSeasideImage output (upgradeTo3x.out) I see many clases being loaded, but no trace of WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems). The script ended sucessfully and I don't see any errors in the output log.

Was there a problem in the upgrade of my image or is this intended and there is now a new procedure to start Seaside gems?

Thanks,

Alejandro

Re: Starting Seaside Gems in GS 3.2.8.1

GLASS mailing list
Alejandro,

It sounds like you didn't reload your application code after the
upgradeSeasideImage completed - your "application code" includes
anything that was loaded on top of GLASS, including running
upgradeImage, loading Seaside code and your Seaside application itself ...

I have written an upgradeGemStone script[1] (on the dev branch) for
automating the upgrade steps (the script uses a user-specified tODE
shell script to load your application code) and you might want to look
at the script itself for inspiration ... feel free to ask additional
questions.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/dev/bin/upgradeGemStone
On 9/5/15 4:05 PM, Alejandro Zuzek via Glass wrote:

> I have just migrated from GS 3.1.0.4 to GS 3.2.8.1 (I followed the procedure,
> including running upgradeImage and upgradeSeasideImage scripts). In 3.1.0.4
> I would start the Seaside gems with this command:
>
> runSeasideGems30 start WAFastCGIAdaptor "9001 9002 9003"
>
> When I run the same command in the 3.2.8.1 version, the Gems don't start and
> in the start logs (for instance in WAFastCGIAdaptor_start-9003.log) I see
> this error:
>
> a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems
> class does not understand  #'startGemServerOn:'
>
> Furthermore, in the new versión while the class WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems
> exists, it doesn't have any methods at all.
>
> In the upgradeSeasideImage output (upgradeTo3x.out) I see many clases being
> loaded, but no trace of WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems). The script ended
> sucessfully and I don't see any errors in the output log.
>
> Was there a problem in the upgrade of my image or is this intended and there
> is now a new procedure to start Seaside gems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alejandro

Re: Starting Seaside Gems in GS 3.2.8.1

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale,

I am still unable to make the upgraded image work, that is, I still cannot start the Seaside Gems. I rerun the whole installation process on a backup of my 3.1.0.4 system, including running upgradeImage and upgradeSeasideImage. No errors were reported there, by the WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems class still doesn't understand #'startGemServerOn:

I tried to reload the Seaside Adaptors with this code:
MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [

ConfigurationOfMetacello project updateProject.

ConfigurationOfMetacello loadLatestVersion.

Gofer project load: 'Seaside30' group: #('Seaside-Adaptors-FastCGI' 'Seaside-Adaptors-Swazoo').
].
but I get this error:

--transcript--'Fetched -> Seaside-Adaptors-FastCGI-dkh.26 --- http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Seaside30 --- http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Seaside30'
ERROR 2718 , a ArgumentError occurred (error 2718), (argument at: 1) contains codePoint 16rd800 not legal for Unicode (ArgumentError)

Is it possible that the .26 version of FastCGI is broken (illegal character?) and that this is preventing upgradeSeasideScript to reload FastCGI code correctly?

Thanks,

Alejandro

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 11:50 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm inclined to try to limit the number of variables here ... there are a lot of moving parts involved and I still need to see more detail about how you've upgraded ...

Firstly, what did you use for your BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs (from Example 4.1 in the 3.2.6 install guide[1]).

set user DataCurator pass swordfish
        login
        run
        UserGlobals
           at: #BootstrapRepositoryDirectory
put: GsPackageLibrary getMonticelloRepositoryDirectory. true
        %
        run
        UserGlobals
           at: #BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs
           ifAbsent: [
              UserGlobals
                 at: #BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs
                 put: {{ 'ConfigurationOfGLASS' . '1.0-beta.9.1' .
                        #('default') . BootstrapRepositoryDirectory } . }.
]. true
%
commit
logout

You should have provided a configuration and version that would ensure that your whole application gets reloaded at the end of the upgradeSeaside script. Getting an MNU makes me think that you haven't arranged to load your entire application into the upgraded image.

Secondly, have you loaded your application code into GS 3.2.8.1 and verified that it works correctly. This is important because it eliminates any variables that might be introduced by the upgrade process and also gives you an assurance that your application should work correctly in 3.2.8.1 ... also you'll have the opportunity to fix any platform specific bugs ...

Dale

[1] https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-InstallGuide-3.2.6-Linux.pdf
On 9/11/15 5:14 PM, Alejandro Zuzek wrote:
[...]

I am happy to announce that I made it work. Essentially, the problem was that I did not use the right BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs.

These are the specs that I used which worked:

run
UserGlobals
 at: #BootstrapRepositoryDirectory
 put: GsPackageLibrary getMonticelloRepositoryDirectory.
true
%
run
UserGlobals
 at: #BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs
 ifAbsent: [
  UserGlobals
   at: #BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs
   put: {
    { 'ConfigurationOfGLASS' . '1.0-beta.9.1' .
    #('default') . BootstrapRepositoryDirectory } .
    { 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30' . #stable .
    #('default') . '/home/glass/repository/' } .
    { 'ConfigurationOfCarMaintenance' . '0.1-baseline' .
    #('default') . '/home/glass/repository/' } .
   }.
  ].
true
%
commit
logout

I didn't have the Seaside packages locally on the machine I was testing the upgrade so I ran this to créate a local versión /home/glass/repository/ :

| version cacheRepository mcVersion |
cacheRepository := MCDirectoryRepository new
 directory: (FileDirectory on: '/home/glass/repository/').
"Copy configuration to cacheRepository"
mcVersion := (Gofer new
 gemsource: 'MetacelloRepository';
 package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30') resolved first version.
cacheRepository storeVersion: mcVersion.
"fetch packages needed to load Seaside30"
version := ConfigurationOfSeaside30 project version: #stable.
version ignoreImage: true.
version cacheRepository: cacheRepository.
version  fetch.

I got the script from this old post of yours in https://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/page/2/ (Helper Scripts for Upgrade of Seaside 3.0.7.1). I ran a similar script to créate a local repository of my App (CarMaintenance).

Thanks for all your help,

Alejandro

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:37 PM, Alejandro Zuzek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dale,

I have tried to upgradeSeasideImage two times (both times starting from the same snapshot, where I had just run upgradeImage and I am pretty confident that up to that point everything was going well).

In my first atempt, I ran exactly the same BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs as in the Example 4.1 in the 3.2.6 install guide. The next time I ran the upgradeSeasideImage script without setting the BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs at all.

In the upgradeSeasideImage log (upgradeTo3x.out) I see this setion:

Automatically generating list of loaded configuration classes to be removed:
  ConfigurationOfGoferProjectLoader
  ConfigurationOfSeaside30
  ConfigurationOfGsSqueakCommon
  ConfigurationOfGsMonticello
  ConfigurationOfGsFastCGI
  ConfigurationOfGrease
  ConfigurationOfGsCore
  ConfigurationOfMetacello
  ConfigurationOfSwazoo2
  ConfigurationOfGLASS
  ConfigurationOfGsMisc
  ConfigurationOfGofer
  ConfigurationOfGsOB
  ConfigurationOfCarMaintenance

Does this mean that I shoud include a section for each of these Configuration classes in the BootstrapApplicationLoadSpecs and not just the section for ConfigurationOfGLASS? I do see some of these Configuratioin classes in the default bootstrap repository directory ($GEMSTONE/seaside/monticello/repository) but not all. If this is the case, should I also include a section for my own App (ConfigurationOfCarMaintenance)? I am asking this, because I don't have a copy of ConfigurationOfCarMaintenance and its packages locally on the machine where I am upgrading the image and the LoadSpecs appear to expect local directories as repositories.

Thanks for all your patience answering these questions.

Alejandro