Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

12

Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

simondenier
Hello

What's the status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ? I have seen some mails in the past weeks but didn't take a close look.
Now I would like to use such information to draw dependencies linked to Spring annotations (for dependency injection).

I tried both infusion and verveinej on the sample petclinic app for Spring but both returned a minimalistic set of annotation types (Override, SuppressWarnings, XmlElement, and XmlRootElement)

Any idea what is going wrong?

--
Simon Denier

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Tudor Girba
Hi Simon,

On 8 Apr 2011, at 00:08, Simon Denier wrote:

> Hello
>
> What's the status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ? I have seen some mails in the past weeks but didn't take a close look.
> Now I would like to use such information to draw dependencies linked to Spring annotations (for dependency injection).
>
> I tried both infusion and verveinej on the sample petclinic app for Spring but both returned a minimalistic set of annotation types (Override, SuppressWarnings, XmlElement, and XmlRootElement)

inFusion is not yet released. The one you are using is version 7.*. For this one you need to add the jars where the annotations are defined (the jars should be in a folder somewhere below the root folder you give as input).

However, VerveineJ should already provide this info. What version are you using? Nicolas, did I understand this part wrong?

Cheers,
Doru

> Any idea what is going wrong?
>
> --
> Simon Denier

www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Tudor Girba
Actually, I think VerveineJ is broken now.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Nicolas Anquetil

Howdy Simon,

Hummm, VerveineJ should not be broken.
At least, it is not on my computer :-)

And it should output annotation declaration and uses.
At least the subset defined in the metamodel (an annotation argument value is always a string).

What version did you test? I commited a running version yesterday evening (but it is still not built on Hudson yet, any problem with that?).

The only two red tests, are things not implemented yet (e.g. enumeration access)

If it still does not work, can you send me an URL for your test case (I could search for it but I am lazy)

nicolas

> Actually, I think VerveineJ is broken now.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 8 Apr 2011, at 00:19, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > On 8 Apr 2011, at 00:08, Simon Denier wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> What's the status of Java annotation import with
> >> infusion/VerveineJ? I have seen some mails in the past weeks but
> >> didn't take a close look.
> >> Now I would like to use such information to draw dependencies
> >> linked to Spring annotations (for dependency injection).
> >>
> >> I tried both infusion and verveinej on the sample petclinic app for
> >> Spring but both returned a minimalistic set of annotation types
> >> (Override, SuppressWarnings, XmlElement, and XmlRootElement)
> >
> > inFusion is not yet released. The one you are using is version 7.*.
> > For this one you need to add the jars where the annotations are
> > defined (the jars should be in a folder somewhere below the root
> > folder you give as input).
> >
> > However, VerveineJ should already provide this info. What version
> > are you using? Nicolas, did I understand this part wrong?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> >> Any idea what is going wrong?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Simon Denier

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Value is always contextual."
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I just redid the build on hudson, and there are still 17 tests.

I also tried with the latest version locally to parse:
svn co https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/Lectures/P2/Examples/Annotations/

But, I got an error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: fr.inria.verveine.core.gen.famix.AnnotationTypeAttribute cannot be cast to fr.inria.verveine.core.gen.famix.Method
        at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.JavaDictionary.ensureFamixMethod(Unknown Source)
        at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineVisitor.methodInvocation(Unknown Source)
        at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineVisitor.visit(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.MethodInvocation.accept0(MethodInvocation.java:237)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2480)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChildren(ASTNode.java:2551)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.MethodInvocation.accept0(MethodInvocation.java:245)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2480)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChild(ASTNode.java:2528)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ExpressionStatement.accept0(ExpressionStatement.java:144)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2480)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChildren(ASTNode.java:2551)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.Block.accept0(Block.java:136)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2480)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChild(ASTNode.java:2528)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.MethodDeclaration.accept0(MethodDeclaration.java:504)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2480)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChildren(ASTNode.java:2551)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.TypeDeclaration.accept0(TypeDeclaration.java:484)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2480)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChildren(ASTNode.java:2551)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.CompilationUnit.accept0(CompilationUnit.java:219)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2480)
        at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.FamixRequestor.acceptAST(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.CompilationUnitResolver.resolve(CompilationUnitResolver.java:1016)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.CompilationUnitResolver.resolve(CompilationUnitResolver.java:628)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTParser.createASTs(ASTParser.java:982)
        at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJParser.main(Unknown Source)

Cheers,
Doru

On 8 Apr 2011, at 00:35, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> Howdy Simon,
>
> Hummm, VerveineJ should not be broken.
> At least, it is not on my computer :-)
>
> And it should output annotation declaration and uses.
> At least the subset defined in the metamodel (an annotation argument value is always a string).
>
> What version did you test? I commited a running version yesterday evening (but it is still not built on Hudson yet, any problem with that?).
>
> The only two red tests, are things not implemented yet (e.g. enumeration access)
>
> If it still does not work, can you send me an URL for your test case (I could search for it but I am lazy)
>
> nicolas

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Tudor Girba
Btw, the build on Hudson should be triggered after each commit.

Cheers,
Doru

On 8 Apr 2011, at 00:47, Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
> at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJParser.parse(Unknown Source)
> at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJParser.main(Unknown Source)
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 8 Apr 2011, at 00:35, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:
>

>> Howdy Simon,
>>
>> Hummm, VerveineJ should not be broken.
>> At least, it is not on my computer :-)
>>
>> And it should output annotation declaration and uses.
>> At least the subset defined in the metamodel (an annotation argument value is always a string).
>>
>> What version did you test? I commited a running version yesterday evening (but it is still not built on Hudson yet, any problem with that?).
>>
>> The only two red tests, are things not implemented yet (e.g. enumeration access)
>>
>> If it still does not work, can you send me an URL for your test case (I could search for it but I am lazy)

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

simondenier

Errors in the Hudson job seem all related to a failure in test setup : getBelongsTo gets called on a NamedEntity and fails. It should be easy to fix? Unfortunately I don't have access to the source code for verveine.core and java famix. Please Nico release it!

On 8 avr. 2011, at 00:47, Tudor Girba wrote:

> [...]
> at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJParser.parse(Unknown Source)
> at fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJParser.main(Unknown Source)
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 8 Apr 2011, at 00:35, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:
>

>> Howdy Simon,
>>
>> Hummm, VerveineJ should not be broken.
>> At least, it is not on my computer :-)
>>
>> And it should output annotation declaration and uses.
>> At least the subset defined in the metamodel (an annotation argument value is always a string).
>>
>> What version did you test? I commited a running version yesterday evening (but it is still not built on Hudson yet, any problem with that?).
>>
>> The only two red tests, are things not implemented yet (e.g. enumeration access)
>>
>> If it still does not work, can you send me an URL for your test case (I could search for it but I am lazy)

hummm, something is wrong, on my computer, 'ant junit' runs 34 tests and only two fail ...

    [junit] Tests run: 19, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 4.754 sec
    [junit] Running tests.fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJTest_AdHoc
    [junit] Tests run: 15, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 5.173 sec
    [junit] Test tests.fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJTest_AdHoc FAILED

I might have found one problem in my ant script. The junit target recompiles everything but does not build the jar file. I will add that.

Tudor, do you run 'ant jar' in verveine.core first and then 'ant junit' in verveine.extarctor.java ?

Simon, verveineJ is on gforge.inria.fr

It is publicly available, and you are also one of the happy few that can commit.

svn checkout svn+ssh:/scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/verveinej

But the problem may be somewhere else.

On 8 Apr 2011, at 09:58, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> hummm, something is wrong, on my computer, 'ant junit' runs 34 tests and only two fail ...
>
>    [junit] Tests run: 19, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 4.754 sec
>    [junit] Running tests.fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJTest_AdHoc
>    [junit] Tests run: 15, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 5.173 sec
>    [junit] Test tests.fr.inria.verveine.extractor.java.VerveineJTest_AdHoc FAILED
>
> I might have found one problem in my ant script. The junit target recompiles everything but does not build the jar file. I will add that.
>
> Tudor, do you run 'ant jar' in verveine.core first and then 'ant junit' in verveine.extarctor.java ?

Yes.

Doru

> Simon, verveineJ is on gforge.inria.fr
>
> It is publicly available, and you are also one of the happy few that can commit.
>
> svn checkout svn+ssh:/scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/verveinej
>

> But the problem may be somewhere else.

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Tudor Girba
I added a how to create the MSE file with VerveineJ here:
http://www.moosetechnology.org/docs/importers/importJavaWithVerveineJ

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

Simon, verveineJ is on gforge.inria.fr

It is publicly available, and you are also one of the happy few that can commit.

svn checkout svn+ssh:/scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/verveinej

Well, I know that, but the VerveineJ webpage was a bit unclear and just gave the link to the verveine.extractor.java so I was under the false assumption that core was still private (also verveine.extractor.java also contains the jar of core and famix and can be run as a stand alone project).

I updated the page so that it gives the links to the two projects:
http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/verveinej

Will try to check that tonight, I don't even have my mac here.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

Simon, verveineJ is on gforge.inria.fr

It is publicly available, and you are also one of the happy few that can commit.

svn checkout svn+ssh:/scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/verveinej

Well, I know that, but the VerveineJ webpage was a bit unclear and just gave the link to the verveine.extractor.java so I was under the false assumption that core was still private (also verveine.extractor.java also contains the jar of core and famix and can be run as a stand alone project).

I updated the page so that it gives the links to the two projects:
http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/verveinej

Will try to check that tonight, I don't even have my mac here.

Poking around, I see that at least some annotation types are imported as stub FamixNamespaces. Any idea where to look in the code which could lead to such a behaviour?

On 8 avr. 2011, at 00:35, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

Howdy Simon,

Hummm, VerveineJ should not be broken.
At least, it is not on my computer :-)

And it should output annotation declaration and uses.
At least the subset defined in the metamodel (an annotation argument value is always a string).

What version did you test? I commited a running version yesterday evening (but it is still not built on Hudson yet, any problem with that?).

Tests are ok except for 2. It's now a fresh update from svn.

The only two red tests, are things not implemented yet (e.g. enumeration access)

If it still does not work, can you send me an URL for your test case (I could search for it but I am lazy)

I use the petclinic sample project
https://src.springframework.org/svn/spring-samples/petclinic/trunk

To be compiled, you should run maven to download jar dependencies. However, it does not seem like it changed a thing in my case.
Maybe the jars should be added to the classpath of the parser at runtime?

Sorry, I will be away from computer this week-end so no time to look at it until sunday evening.

nicolas

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Nicolas Anquetil
first news on the bug with "SCG annotations examples"

I traced it to parsing :

"GetProperty getter = method.getAnnotation(GetProperty.class);"

where GetProperty is an annotation.

It would be a nice thing if Famix AnnotationType was actually a Famix Type (it's a NamedEntity).
Actually, given their definition in Java (has some kind of interface), it could make sense to define them as sub-class of Famix.Class ... ?

And AnnotationTypeAttribute should maybe relocated to.
I will think a bit over it. For information, JDT considers them to be somehow similar to methods ...

nicolas

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Tudor Girba
Hi Nicolas,

On 11 Apr 2011, at 10:19, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> first news on the bug with "SCG annotations examples"
>
> I traced it to parsing :
>
> "GetProperty getter = method.getAnnotation(GetProperty.class);"
>
> where GetProperty is an annotation.
>
> It would be a nice thing if Famix AnnotationType was actually a Famix Type (it's a NamedEntity).
> Actually, given their definition in Java (has some kind of interface), it could make sense to define them as sub-class of Famix.Class ... ?

This does not sound good because an AnnotationType cannot be associated to a declaredType.

But, why is it important?

> And AnnotationTypeAttribute should maybe relocated to.
> I will think a bit over it. For information, JDT considers them to be somehow similar to methods ...

Let us know what you find. This exercise is important.

Cheers,
Doru

> nicolas

www.tudorgirba.com

"We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

simondenier
<base href="x-msg://518/">
On 11 avr. 2011, at 10:19, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

first news on the bug with "SCG annotations examples"

I traced it to parsing :

"GetProperty getter = method.getAnnotation(GetProperty.class);"

where GetProperty is an annotation.

It would be a nice thing if Famix AnnotationType was actually a Famix Type (it's a NamedEntity).
Actually, given their definition in Java (has some kind of interface), it could make sense to define them as sub-class of Famix.Class ... ?

And AnnotationTypeAttribute should maybe relocated to.
I will think a bit over it. For information, JDT considers them to be somehow similar to methods ...

Not sure I understand everything. Can you give me the line number(s) which are likely involved in this problem? I just gave a look at the code and don't really know where to start.

nicolas

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Nicolas Anquetil

----- Mail original -----
> De: "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]>

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On 11 Apr 2011, at 10:19, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:
>
> > first news on the bug with "SCG annotations examples"
> >
> > I traced it to parsing :
> >
> > "GetProperty getter = method.getAnnotation(GetProperty.class);"
> >
> > where GetProperty is an annotation.
> >
> > It would be a nice thing if Famix AnnotationType was actually a
> > Famix Type (it's a NamedEntity).
> > Actually, given their definition in Java (has some kind of
> > interface), it could make sense to define them as sub-class of
> > Famix.Class ... ?
>
> This does not sound good because an AnnotationType cannot be
> associated to a declaredType.

???
Did not get it?
- AnnotationType is for declaration of annotations
- AnnotationTypeInstance is for using annotation (when an entity is annotated)

> But, why is it important?

well considering the code above, the localVariable getter has for type an annotation.
To record that, AnnotationType needs to be a type.

Similarly "GetProperty.class" requires that GetProperty be a Famix.Type

And also it is easier when the meta-model sticks to the definition of things. AnnotationType is so much a Type that the name says it.

> > And AnnotationTypeAttribute should maybe relocated to.
> > I will think a bit over it. For information, JDT considers them to
> > be somehow similar to methods ...
>
> Let us know what you find. This exercise is important.

For some reason, Java does considers annotationType attributes as methods:

"@interface ClassPreamble {
   String author();
   String date();
   int currentRevision() default 1;
   String lastModified() default "N/A";
   String lastModifiedBy() default "N/A";
   String[] reviewers();  // Note use of array
}

The body of the annotation definition above contains annotation type element declarations, which look a lot like methods. Note that they may define optional default values." (http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/annotations.html)

Maybe this is because annotations are similar to interfaces and interfaces don't have attribute?

To me they look more like attributes, syntactically and semantically ...

On 11 Apr 2011, at 23:15, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> ----- Mail original -----
>> De: "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> On 11 Apr 2011, at 10:19, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:
>>
>>> first news on the bug with "SCG annotations examples"
>>>
>>> I traced it to parsing :
>>>
>>> "GetProperty getter = method.getAnnotation(GetProperty.class);"
>>>
>>> where GetProperty is an annotation.
>>>
>>> It would be a nice thing if Famix AnnotationType was actually a
>>> Famix Type (it's a NamedEntity).
>>> Actually, given their definition in Java (has some kind of
>>> interface), it could make sense to define them as sub-class of
>>> Famix.Class ... ?
>>
>> This does not sound good because an AnnotationType cannot be
>> associated to a declaredType.
>
> ???
> Did not get it?
> - AnnotationType is for declaration of annotations
> - AnnotationTypeInstance is for using annotation (when an entity is annotated)

I meant to say that you cannot have a declaredType of a method to point to an AnnotationType. But, I was clearly wrong :).

>> But, why is it important?
>
> well considering the code above, the localVariable getter has for type an annotation.
> To record that, AnnotationType needs to be a type.
>
> Similarly "GetProperty.class" requires that GetProperty be a Famix.Type
>
> And also it is easier when the meta-model sticks to the definition of things. AnnotationType is so much a Type that the name says it.

Ok. So, this means that we should have AnnotationType as a subclass of FAMIXType.

>>> And AnnotationTypeAttribute should maybe relocated to.
>>> I will think a bit over it. For information, JDT considers them to
>>> be somehow similar to methods ...
>>
>> Let us know what you find. This exercise is important.
>
> For some reason, Java does considers annotationType attributes as methods:
>
> "@interface ClassPreamble {
>   String author();
>   String date();
>   int currentRevision() default 1;
>   String lastModified() default "N/A";
>   String lastModifiedBy() default "N/A";
>   String[] reviewers();  // Note use of array
> }
>
> The body of the annotation definition above contains annotation type element declarations, which look a lot like methods. Note that they may define optional default values." (http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/annotations.html)
>
> Maybe this is because annotations are similar to interfaces and interfaces don't have attribute?
>
> To me they look more like attributes, syntactically and semantically ...

This is odd, indeed. But, I am not sure I understand the implication. Would it not be enough if we make AnnotationTypeAttribute a subclass of FAMIX.StructuralEntity?

Cheers,
Doru

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> nicolas

yep

> > For some reason, Java does considers annotationType attributes as
> > methods:

> > Maybe this is because annotations are similar to interfaces and
> > interfaces don't have attribute?

> > To me they look more like attributes, syntactically and semantically

> This is odd, indeed. But, I am not sure I understand the implication.
> Would it not be enough if we make AnnotationTypeAttribute a subclass
> of FAMIX.StructuralEntity?

Yes it would. For the current use of AnnotationTypeAttribute, it actually does not really matters, where they are.
However, agreeing that AnnotationType will be a Type, it would make sense to consider that AnnotationTypeAttribute are attributes (i.e. FamixAttribute) of this new Type.
So this would advocate for AnnotationTypeAttribute being a special case of FamixAttribute.
But, this is not a very strong argument, in fine, the only difference between a FamixAttribute and a StrucuralEntity is 'parentType' which is just a renaming of 'belongsTo'. So both have the same information.

nicolas

PS: Any idea why verveineJ tests on Hudson play the yoyo? I don't remember commiting anything fundamental since build #16. So why is the number of tests dropping to 0 now and then?

Also, 15 of the 17 faulty tests in build #22 (and before) are due to a lacking 'getBelongsTo()' method in EnumValue:
---
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: NamedEntity.getBelongsTo() Not implemented in this class, use the proper subclass (fr.inria.verveine.core.gen.famix.EnumValue)
---
Something that was correct last week. So either Hudson does not have the corrected fr.inria.verveine.core.gen.famix code, or it is not generating the famix.jar file or it is not using it it when it runs verveine.

Could you have a look at that?

tx

Re: Status of Java annotation import with infusion/VerveineJ?

Tudor Girba
Hi Nicolas,

I fixed AnnotationType and AnnotationTypeAttribute in FAMIX, but I do not know how to debug the hudson issue. What should I look at?

Cheers,
Doru